"L" Shaped Shower Curtain Rod

Old 06-30-2012, 03:39 PM   #1
General Contractor

Rewards Points: 27

"L" Shaped Shower Curtain Rod

Im looking for a "L" shaped shower curtain rod that doesnt need a ceiling support rod. My client really wants this to be super strong as she would like to hang dry clothing from it. All the store bought options arent what they claim. The rods are very weak. Any ideas on either a quality rod to purchase or bracket system of some kind? Thanx

Warning: The topics covered on this site include activities in which there exists the potential for serious injury or death. ContractorTalk.com DOES NOT guarantee the accuracy or completeness of any information contained on this site. Always use proper safety precaution and reference reliable outside sources before attempting any construction or remodeling task!

Advertisement

Old 06-30-2012, 04:33 PM   #2
Pro

Trade: remodeling/ home repair
Rewards Points: 160

Re: "L" Shaped Shower Curtain Rod

Try 1 inch galvanized pipe, 1 90 degree elbow, and 2 floor flanges. You must make sure to fasten to framing as the pipe is fairly heavy. I make clothes racks for a boutique like this and have never had a problem. Also use degreaser to clean the pipe prior to installation.

Advertisement

Old 06-30-2012, 05:16 PM   #3
DavidC

Trade: Remodeler
Rewards Points: 2,006

Make it strong as you like, but that's a lot of leverage without the ceiling support rod. Hanging wet clothes can be a lot of weight. I would not go with out.

Good Luck
Dave

Old 07-01-2012, 08:15 PM   #4
Contractor

Trade: Remodeling & Home Additions
Rewards Points: 656

I back up DavidC's comment-that will be a lot of force torqueing the wall connnection. the wall connecdtion may need to be designed/installed before the drywall goes on-is the finish applied yet?
Old 07-02-2012, 01:00 AM   #5
Pro

Trade: builder fl cbc
Rewards Points: 3,654

john does she want a shower rod or a way to hang clothes?, i have never seen this combo unit for sale, the only way this will work is to fab/build a custom piece?, now how bad do you want it ho, and blocking in the wall as stated in post #4
Old 07-02-2012, 04:39 AM   #6
Pro

Trade: Carpentry,drywall,trim. Part time painter.
Rewards Points: 1,858

Custom welded rod will work. $$$$
Old 07-02-2012, 10:00 AM   #7
Pro

Trade: Linear shower drain installations & waterproofing
Rewards Points: 2,000

Quote:
Originally Posted by Big Shoe View Post
Custom welded rod will work. $$$$
Pretty simple piece that any metal shop can bang out.

A 1 1/4" Marine Grade pipe would work well I think. Make sure they use a 306 or 316L stainless steel tubing and we often cram in a solid wood towel as well.

You might 'cheat' the install a touch out of level to compensate for the weight of the curtain. Before driving in any screws I'd have the curtain installed.

Budgetting $80 for materials and $200.00 in labour should cover it. There really is not that much work other than buffing out the weld.

If you visit a marine hardware store you could by the fittings and skip the metal shop but would have a raise fitting point at the 90.

The pipe and fittings here locally in Vancouver I source from one of three separate Marine Hardware stores. I like using the boat railings for shower curtain rods. My daughter can do chin ups on our shower curtain rod and I like the added safety that these bars do not pull off the wall like the cheap extension style.

Good Luck.

JW

JW

Advertisement