House Plans

Old 03-29-2017, 08:08 PM   #1

Trade: General
Rewards Points: 86

House Plans

I'm building my first spec house (normally do only interior work, first new construction project.) Where is everyone purchasing their (reasonably) high-quality building plans? I know of a few from google, but, looking for someone with experience using the plans.

Ideally I'm looking for:
* Website that has plans which have actually been built previously and don't have to have a million changes so it won't fall down in a light wind...
* CAD plans available
* Material take-off/bill of materials available.. I know they won't be very accurate, but, it will give me a ballpark figure for pricing to evaluate before I spend the effort to make my own take-off once I decide on a plan.
* Fairly big selection

Thanks!

Warning: The topics covered on this site include activities in which there exists the potential for serious injury or death. ContractorTalk.com DOES NOT guarantee the accuracy or completeness of any information contained on this site. Always use proper safety precaution and reference reliable outside sources before attempting any construction or remodeling task!

Advertisement

Old 03-29-2017, 10:07 PM   #2
Pro

Trade: New Construction & Remodeling
Rewards Points: 1,232

Re: House Plans

I'm not aware of a one-stop shop that's gonna hit everything, but just shop around online and you'll quickly find that most of the 'bulk' house-plan shops all have a very similar selection...one architect will put their stuff on multiple sites to increase exposure...kind of like stock photography the more you have out there the more you sell. Lately I've been doing my own plans, but we can get away with that around here not needing an architect stamp on everything...yet...

Advertisement

The Following User Says Thank You to mstrat For This Useful Post:
sunkist (03-30-2017)
Old 03-29-2017, 10:11 PM   #3
Fire up the BBQ

Trade: GC
Rewards Points: 14

ScipioAfricanus....aka...Andy...

A member here and he knows a thing or two about plans...

Probably send him a few cocktail napkin sketches and get ready to build.
CharlieDelta (03-30-2017), mstrat (03-29-2017), quantumflux (03-30-2017), sunkist (03-30-2017), wallmaxx (03-30-2017)

Old 03-30-2017, 11:30 AM   #4
Pro

Trade: mason
Rewards Points: 8,156

It depends on what part of the country you are in. For example,a New England saltbox will not work in Phoenix,or an adobe in New England, without looking like the fifth wheel on a wagon.
Old 03-30-2017, 12:36 PM   #5

While I'm using someone for a professional site plan, I was planning on using a "stock" house plan and customizing it myself. I'm more looking for "stock" house plans that can be purchased that someone else has (successfully) built from and that has a (reasonably) positive opinion of.

What it comes down to is while I'm sure I'll have to customize the plan to meet the site requirements, I just don't want to spend $3,000 for something that is sub-par and that will require a lot more of my time to make sure it passes inspections than something designed properly.

I've seen some posts about people building from the 84 lumber plans as an example, but, not sure about anything else.
Old 03-30-2017, 02:20 PM   #6
design build

Trade: general
Rewards Points: 93

Plans are very much a "you get what you pay for" type of thing.
Old 03-30-2017, 02:41 PM   #7
CAD Services

Trade: So done with this place...
Rewards Points: 144

Quote:
Originally Posted by quantumflux View Post
I'm building my first spec house (normally do only interior work, first new construction project.) Where is everyone purchasing their (reasonably) high-quality building plans? I know of a few from google, but, looking for someone with experience using the plans.

Ideally I'm looking for:
* Website that has plans which have actually been built previously and don't have to have a million changes so it won't fall down in a light wind...
* CAD plans available
* Material take-off/bill of materials available.. I know they won't be very accurate, but, it will give me a ballpark figure for pricing to evaluate before I spend the effort to make my own take-off once I decide on a plan.
* Fairly big selection

Thanks!
coolplans.com
Old 03-30-2017, 05:45 PM   #8
Pro

Where are you located ?
Old 03-30-2017, 06:14 PM   #9
Pro

Trade: builder fl cbc
Rewards Points: 3,142

Try and find some one that is some what local who draws plans, he/she will know the lay of the land.
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to sunkist For This Useful Post:
fjn (03-30-2017), Rio (03-31-2017)
Old 03-30-2017, 09:38 PM   #10

Western Massachusetts...

I think I'm wanting to go the route of buying stock plans from somewhere mostly reputable and modifying them myself (I have CAD/RevIt experience, but, not enough time to make something from scratch.)
Old 03-30-2017, 09:40 PM   #11
Pro

Trade: Remodeler
Rewards Points: 1,626

http://www.builderhouseplans.com/hou...a-gardner.html
Old 03-30-2017, 09:51 PM   #12
New Guy

Trade: General and remodeling

You may be very capable of customizing from a stock plan but with a crew and sub contractors and inspectors and homeowners all working off the plan you will be 5000% money ahead to have the plans revised. Trust me! everyone will screw everything up and it will take twice as long to build.

If you don't get fired halfway through you will loose your ass and your business because you didn't want to spend the extra money for revisions on blue prints.

Most that I have seen will make changes to stock plans for a small fee.
Old 03-31-2017, 11:55 AM   #13
Pro

Quote:
Originally Posted by TimNJ View Post

Gardner plans only if you love architects who think adding a gazillion front facing gables is the way to create visual interest.

90 % of his designs suffer from "gableitiz ",just my not so humble opinion.
The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to fjn For This Useful Post:
mstrat (03-31-2017), ScipioAfricanus (03-31-2017), wallmaxx (03-31-2017)
Old 03-31-2017, 12:00 PM   #14

@fjn: Curious, do you have any architect/designers that have their plans online which you've built from (or known someone who has) which you consider to be better? I'm guessing so based on your comment?
Old 03-31-2017, 12:30 PM   #15
Pro

Here are a few. While Allison Ramsey architects are in S.C.,their homes could certainly work in the New England area you are in. Very traditional look. Here are a few other possibilities.

Sandra Vitzthum architects Vt.

Peter Zimmerman architects Pa.

Russell Versaci architects Vt. & Va.

Remember,good design is worth the extra effort and cost.Eye appeal is buy appeal.
Old 03-31-2017, 07:03 PM   #16
Pro

Trade: Remodeler
Rewards Points: 1,626

Quote:
Originally Posted by fjn View Post
Gardner plans only if you love architects who think adding a gazillion front facing gables is the way to create visual interest.

90 % of his designs suffer from "gableitiz ",just my not so humble opinion.

Yeah, there are a lot on there like that. Around this area, that is all that is being built.

Find the floor plan then have the elevations altered.
Old 03-31-2017, 08:54 PM   #17
Pro

Trade: New Construction & Remodeling
Rewards Points: 1,232

I had a thread a while ago saying the same things about home designs these days...everything has 10 gables on the front...which to me look dumb, but I'm sure it's because I see wasted dollars and materials on each one of them...I'm just a fan of the simple 50's -80's ranch house I guess...
The Following User Says Thank You to mstrat For This Useful Post:
ScipioAfricanus (03-31-2017)
Old 04-07-2017, 09:57 PM   #18
Pro

Trade: Masonry
Rewards Points: 5,139

I would study the survival rates of the previous speculation builders in your area....

Compare a 2007 home builders list to today's....

Residential Housing is still only a tiny fraction of of its peak, Until decades of every increasing taxes/payroll deductions are reduced and the tens of thousands of regulations Obama et Al signed into law are erased, New home ownership will remain out of the reach of most Americans....

Are You in a highly regulated state like Californiastan?

Start going to Open houses that are near your price point. Take notes. Make friends with large volume Realtors, Ask them what sells and of course Location, location , location, A turd in good neighborhood is worth three white Houses in crappy high tax Ghettos.

I'd pay all your creditors off and max out your retirement funds first, then leave the field that feeds the kids.....
Old 06-02-2017, 10:17 AM   #19

Trade: General Contractor
Rewards Points: 36

I'm new to this forum, but wanted to share my recent experience with a similar issue. A few years ago, I relocated and wanted to build a few specs to get started in the market. I joined the local HBA and after talking with tradesmen and other builders, I found several local house designers. These designers each provide custom design that includes a site plan, standard floorplan, elevations, and structural engineering. The advantage I see of using a local firm is that they comply with all the local codes & ordinances. My fear of buying a set of plans out of region is that after purchase, I would still have to pay to modify them to local conditions.
I would imagine that each market will have these types of home design shops and the cost will be market dependent. But to give an example, for a fairly straightforward set of permit-ready plans in my area, it's about $1.00/SF of the main level. Hope this helps.
Old 06-03-2017, 09:55 AM   #20
Pro

Trade: Contractor and Grunt
Rewards Points: 36

Quote:
Originally Posted by ChoiceBuilders View Post
I'm new to this forum, but wanted to share my recent experience with a similar issue. A few years ago, I relocated and wanted to build a few specs to get started in the market. I joined the local HBA and after talking with tradesmen and other builders, I found several local house designers. These designers each provide custom design that includes a site plan, standard floorplan, elevations, and structural engineering. The advantage I see of using a local firm is that they comply with all the local codes & ordinances. My fear of buying a set of plans out of region is that after purchase, I would still have to pay to modify them to local conditions.
I would imagine that each market will have these types of home design shops and the cost will be market dependent. But to give an example, for a fairly straightforward set of permit-ready plans in my area, it's about $1.00/SF of the main level. Hope this helps.

About $0.50/sf. here.

Advertisement