Good Prints

Old 02-13-2017, 08:26 AM   #1
Pro

Trade: Remodeling Contractor/Helical Post Installer
Rewards Points: 2,460

Good Prints

Does anyone have a really good, complete set of drawings for a house or remodel they are willing to send me? I am looking for something that calls out all finishes, built-ins, trim details, etc. Something with a lot of detail and thought put into them? We are discussing the plans we keep getting and I want to show my partners what a good set of plans looks like.

Warning: The topics covered on this site include activities in which there exists the potential for serious injury or death. ContractorTalk.com DOES NOT guarantee the accuracy or completeness of any information contained on this site. Always use proper safety precaution and reference reliable outside sources before attempting any construction or remodeling task!

Advertisement

Old 02-13-2017, 08:47 AM   #2
Pro

Trade: Carpentry/General Contracting
Rewards Points: 197

Re: Good Prints

Problem with a super detailed set of plans is they never get followed to the letter, that why most Architects and Designers produce mostly builders sets. Homeowners tend to change their minds during construction so much that the added cost of the extra detailing on the plans is really a waste of money. In the 20+ years I have been building I have only seen 2 sets of plans that detail paint finishes, trim profiles and locations, fixtures ect.... and both times the homeowner didn't have us install or build what was detailed.

Why is such a detailed plan important to you as a builder, just curious?

Advertisement

The Following 5 Users Say Thank You to Cnrhodes For This Useful Post:
Jaws (02-13-2017), parkers5150 (06-19-2017), Rio (02-13-2017), rrk (02-13-2017), ScipioAfricanus (02-13-2017)
Old 02-13-2017, 09:36 AM   #3
The Sheriff

Trade: GC
Rewards Points: 346

Same as above, builder prints, add detailed drawings as choices are made on a custom selection packet we develop. Details are drawn and approved.

I was a lead guy for a prominent builder in the area, he had a very talented archy draw great plans with details a few times...... none of the houses I worked for him match those plans...

I may have a set I'll look though

John

Old 02-13-2017, 11:17 AM   #4
Pro

Trade: Remodeling Contractor/Helical Post Installer
Rewards Points: 2,460

I guess good was a poor adjective.

Plans with a lot of detail are what I am looking for.

They are just being used for a discussion. The problems described above are part of the discussion.
Old 02-13-2017, 11:55 AM   #5
Pro

Trade: Executor of special operations
Rewards Points: 624

Just my thoughts -

Commercial practices... Schedules (matrix) with Call out Symbols

Door schedules
Room Finish Schedules
Flooring schedules

Symbols shown on all plans and elevations or dedicated "Finish" sheets. Most residential drawings are already cluttered. Many are halfassed cad monkey drawn with poor graphical representations and visually are soo cluttered that extra detials ..... Adding anything beyond the minimums is counter productive, imho.

Schedules and specialized drawings at $250-500 a, arch D-E sheet, gravy train for archys draftsman. Vast Majority of residential much more cost effective to have the PM manage the details from specs. Even before customer changes. Then updating maintaining current revisions ...

It's more about how you choose to manage the project and how the subs best respond to higher levels of detail and changes in residential. I've always detailed the crap out everything in the drawings. Fastest-easiest reference to get details compared to sorting through pages of specs and notes. Pretty much nobody else cares but me.
Old 02-13-2017, 12:27 PM   #6
Fire up the BBQ

Trade: GC
Rewards Points: 12

Dan, PM me your mailing address. Ill send you a set of plans with pretty goo amount of detail. Its a new construction but remodel or new amount of detail is the same.
Old 02-13-2017, 07:08 PM   #7

Trade: HVAC
Rewards Points: 124

You can't find a mock-up online for this? I have seen them before. Maybe I am not understanding what you are asking.
http://www.acmanhouston.com
Old 06-19-2017, 06:38 PM   #8
Pro

Trade: Carpentry
Rewards Points: 926

I can check with my BIL to see if he has any. We did a couple jobs with architects/ interior design and they called out everything on them.
Old 06-19-2017, 08:01 PM   #9
Pro

Trade: Contractor and Grunt
Rewards Points: 18

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dan_Watson View Post
Does anyone have a really good, complete set of drawings for a house or remodel they are willing to send me? I am looking for something that calls out all finishes, built-ins, trim details, etc. Something with a lot of detail and thought put into them? We are discussing the plans we keep getting and I want to show my partners what a good set of plans looks like.
I have a set for a whole house. It's 7 pages. Not sure if I have all 7 in PDF, I'll have to check my ibm. PM me an email and I'll fwd what I have.
Old 06-20-2017, 01:01 AM   #10
GC/carpenter

Trade: Decking, Railing, Carpenter/General Contractor
Rewards Points: 672

I'm not a fan of a lot of detail. I like to have a little freedom.

Mike.
_________

Advertisement