Finding Detailed Diagrams Of COMPLEX Roofs - Architecture & Design - Contractor Talk

Finding Detailed Diagrams Of COMPLEX Roofs

Old 01-06-2011, 08:47 PM   #1

Trade: Roofing
Rewards Points: 10
Question

Finding Detailed Diagrams Of COMPLEX Roofs

Hey Guys!

I'm hoping you can help me with my first Question.

I need to find either blueprints or very detailed sketches of some complex roofs. Only the most complex because this really tests our abilities.

Reason: We are near completion of our new roof diagramming service and need this for testing. We have compared ours to to the major companies, but this does not garuntee accuracy; Just that we are doing it the same way as the BIG #1.

Also, if anyone cares to share... What features are the BIG companies missing that would benefit you?? Like the height from ground to roof line on the 4 corners of a home. 2 story? Downspout measurement?

Thanks

Warning: The topics covered on this site include activities in which there exists the potential for serious injury or death. ContractorTalk.com DOES NOT guarantee the accuracy or completeness of any information contained on this site. Always use proper safety precaution and reference reliable outside sources before attempting any construction or remodeling task!

Advertisement

Old 01-07-2011, 08:49 PM   #2
Pro

Trade: Home Improvement/handyman
Rewards Points: 6,486

Re: Finding Detailed Diagrams Of COMPLEX Roofs

Quote:
Originally Posted by Xact_Imaging View Post
the height from ground to roof line on the 4 corners of a home. 2 story? Downspout measurement?
Using this
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Descriptive_geometry
you can get a view from any angle of any complex or simple shape.

With the computer doing the calculations it should be easy. By hand, it's awful.

"
The best direction to view

Two skew lines (pipes, perhaps) in general positions in order to determine the location of their shortest connector (common perpendicular)
Two skew lines (pipes) in general positions such that their shortest connector is seen in full scale
Two skew lines in general positions such the shortest connector parallel to a given plane is seen in full scale (say, to determine the position and the dimension of the shortest connector at a constant distance from a radiating surface)
A plane surface such that a hole drilled perpendicular is seen in full scale, as if looking through the hole (say, to test for clearances with other drilled holes)
A plane equidistant from two skew lines in general positions (say, to confirm safe radiation distance?)
The shortest distance from a point to a plane (say, to locate the most economical position for bracing)
The line of intersection between two surfaces, including curved surfaces (say, for the most economical sizing of sections?)
The true size of the angle between two planes
"

Advertisement

Last edited by GettingBy; 01-07-2011 at 08:52 PM.

Tags
diagram , eagleview , geo estimator , geoestimator , measure