Chester Heights Camp Meeting

Old 06-10-2017, 08:03 PM   #1
Pro

Trade: Masonry / Carpentry Construction and Restoration
Rewards Points: 4,632

Chester Heights Camp Meeting

This little gem of a property sits local to me and in all my years, I've never been on it. It's a christian retreat that dates back to the late 1800's and used to take up 30+ acres of prime land in Chester Heights, PA.

In recent years the place has struggled with financial issues, arson attacks and wind storms and now has sold off 20 acres to a developer who is constructing 77 luxury townhomes. The influx of money has allowed the camp to start fixing some of the places up like the gazebo area and some of the houses have been moved on to permanent foundations relocated on the property.

I'm still reading up on the history of this property and I find it fascinating to see the different types of architecture that were practiced and the sheer scale of of which it was practiced at.

Just walking through the place I can't help but to think of the tiny home shows you see on tv these days as people attempt to simplify their lives to the motto... less is better.

How I ended up here today is a story upon itself...did a home inspection for my nephew which isn't too far away...while I was out there, visited my sister and BIL who took me out to breakfast for helping the kid out. Upon our way back to their house, he pulls in the driveway of a friend whose property abuts this place and says, "let's go take a look".

In all honesty and afterthought, we probably could have gotten locked up for trespassing by the state patrol but the walk back in time was well worth it.

We went into one house that mocked a Victorian, it was beat to chit and even had rat nests in the kitchen cabinets...I went upstairs to check it out and I could literally feel the house moving with the weight of my footsteps...a quick side to side body motion for a shear test confirmed I could shake the whole house. Since I didn't feel like dieing right there, I made my way back downstairs and out the door...Couldn't help noticing the extreme presence of lead paint everywhere that was perfectly cracked and peeling...perfect for a Norman Rockwell like setting.

http://www.delcotimes.com/article/DC...NEWS/160709899
Attached Thumbnails
Chester Heights Camp Meeting-img_3464a.jpg   Chester Heights Camp Meeting-img_3465a.jpg   Chester Heights Camp Meeting-img_3466a.jpg   Chester Heights Camp Meeting-img_3467a.jpg   Chester Heights Camp Meeting-img_3468a.jpg  

Chester Heights Camp Meeting-img_3469a.jpg   Chester Heights Camp Meeting-img_3470a.jpg   Chester Heights Camp Meeting-img_3471a.jpg   Chester Heights Camp Meeting-img_3472a.jpg   Chester Heights Camp Meeting-img_3473a.jpg  

Chester Heights Camp Meeting-img_3474a.jpg   Chester Heights Camp Meeting-img_3476a.jpg  

https://www.facebook.com/Superseal-C...2699413750013/
The Following 5 Users Say Thank You to superseal For This Useful Post:
fjn (06-12-2017), hdavis (06-11-2017), Resta (06-11-2017), ScipioAfricanus (06-11-2017), SmallTownGuy (06-11-2017)

Warning: The topics covered on this site include activities in which there exists the potential for serious injury or death. ContractorTalk.com DOES NOT guarantee the accuracy or completeness of any information contained on this site. Always use proper safety precaution and reference reliable outside sources before attempting any construction or remodeling task!

Advertisement

Old 06-10-2017, 08:18 PM   #2
Pro

Re: Chester Heights Camp Meeting

It got hot today, but the tall trees offered nice shade and the wind coming up the hill felt quite welcome.

This is the Victorian we entered...I kept feeling like freddy kruger was gonna jump out on us...good thing I had the haymaker with me...
Attached Thumbnails
Chester Heights Camp Meeting-img_3477a.jpg   Chester Heights Camp Meeting-img_3478a.jpg   Chester Heights Camp Meeting-img_3479a.jpg   Chester Heights Camp Meeting-img_3480a.jpg   Chester Heights Camp Meeting-img_3481a.jpg  

Chester Heights Camp Meeting-img_3482a.jpg   Chester Heights Camp Meeting-img_3483a.jpg   Chester Heights Camp Meeting-img_3486a.jpg   Chester Heights Camp Meeting-img_3488a.jpg   Chester Heights Camp Meeting-img_3490a.jpg  

Chester Heights Camp Meeting-img_3494a.jpg   Chester Heights Camp Meeting-img_3496a.jpg  

Advertisement

The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to superseal For This Useful Post:
hdavis (06-11-2017), Resta (06-11-2017), ScipioAfricanus (06-11-2017)
Old 06-10-2017, 08:29 PM   #3
Pro

I never saw a rats nest so neatly organized...and lead paint so neatly cracked...
Attached Thumbnails
Chester Heights Camp Meeting-1200.jpg   Chester Heights Camp Meeting-img_3497a.jpg   Chester Heights Camp Meeting-img_3499a.jpg   Chester Heights Camp Meeting-img_3500a.jpg   Chester Heights Camp Meeting-img_3501a.jpg  

Chester Heights Camp Meeting-img_3502a.jpg   Chester Heights Camp Meeting-img_3509a.jpg   Chester Heights Camp Meeting-img_3510a.jpg   Chester Heights Camp Meeting-img_3511a.jpg   Chester Heights Camp Meeting-img_3512a.jpg  

Chester Heights Camp Meeting-img_3518a.jpg   Chester Heights Camp Meeting-img_3519a.jpg  

The Following User Says Thank You to superseal For This Useful Post:
Resta (06-11-2017)

Old 06-10-2017, 08:39 PM   #4
Pro

Pretty cool day for me indeed...I love this kind of stuff!
Attached Thumbnails
Chester Heights Camp Meeting-img_3520a.jpg   Chester Heights Camp Meeting-img_3521a.jpg   Chester Heights Camp Meeting-img_3522a.jpg   Chester Heights Camp Meeting-img_3524a.jpg   Chester Heights Camp Meeting-img_3525a.jpg  

Chester Heights Camp Meeting-img_3526a.jpg   Chester Heights Camp Meeting-img_3527a.jpg   Chester Heights Camp Meeting-img_3528a.jpg   Chester Heights Camp Meeting-img_3529a.jpg  

The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to superseal For This Useful Post:
Resta (06-11-2017), Robie (06-11-2017)
Old 06-10-2017, 08:52 PM   #5
Pro

Trade: remodeling
Rewards Points: 94

Here is a similar one near me
some of the houses are so close you can reach out the window and touch the other house. Garbage trucks barely fit down the streets

http://www.cmatabor.com
The Following User Says Thank You to rrk For This Useful Post:
superseal (06-10-2017)
Old 06-11-2017, 06:05 AM   #6
John the Builder

Trade: Carpenter/Builder
Rewards Points: 5,838

Incredible
Old 06-11-2017, 09:15 AM   #7
Pro

Trade: remodeling
Rewards Points: 1,745

Dinky houses used to be somewhat normal, but most around here don't have as much style as those do.
The Following User Says Thank You to hdavis For This Useful Post:
SmallTownGuy (06-11-2017)
Old 06-12-2017, 11:13 AM   #8
Pro

Trade: mason
Rewards Points: 8,156

Thanks for sharing S.S.,love looking at stuff like that. Some may disagree,however,the color palette along with architecture and bric-a-brac could very well be at home in New Orleans.

When do you suppose was the last time those buildings were inhabited ?

Advertisement