Building Shed Dormer / Design

Old 07-25-2017, 05:39 PM   #1

Trade: Interior remodeling
Rewards Points: 84

Building Shed Dormer / Design

Seeking some advice for bearing the load of a 30'x22' shed dormer.

The original pitch of the roof is 15/12 with 2x4 rafters. The new shed dormer is the entire length of one side of the house and will have 8' ceilings, if my math is right it will end with a 5/12 pitch.

The home own doesnt want cathedral ceilings so that raises the question if this build will need a structural ridge beam or a ridge board with upper 1/3rd collar ties and ceiling joist.

The main issue with the ridge beam we are having is that the load path in the house is not centered. There are two off set 8"x 8" railroad ties in the basement establishing the load path.

What I would like to do is run two new 6"x6" bearing post up from the basement with new footings. I am in Wisconsin so snow loads have to be considered heavily.

An engineer said sistering up floor joist on the second level under bearing ridge beam post would be sufficent because the main level bearing wall is on 13" offset from being centered.

Ill attach some rough plans. The dormer is over the bathroom area and will have 2x10 rafters. The original roof will have feathered out to 2x8 rafters. This is a 1889 Victorian house.

The pictures will be in the order:

*Basement
*Original first floor layout
*New first floor layout with opened up wall between kitchen & dinning with ridge post
*Dormer layout with LVLs. (dormer is over bath side of house)

Again since this wont be cathedral ceilings, is the ridge beam 100% necessary?
Attached Thumbnails
Building Shed Dormer / Design-basement.jpg   Building Shed Dormer / Design-first-floor-layout.jpg   Building Shed Dormer / Design-remodeled-first-floor.jpg   Building Shed Dormer / Design-dormer-layout.jpg  

Warning: The topics covered on this site include activities in which there exists the potential for serious injury or death. ContractorTalk.com DOES NOT guarantee the accuracy or completeness of any information contained on this site. Always use proper safety precaution and reference reliable outside sources before attempting any construction or remodeling task!

Advertisement