Contractor Talk - Professional Construction and Remodeling Forum banner

Bathroom and Furnace room combined!

20K views 4 replies 5 participants last post by  TNTRenovate 
#1 ·
HO is insisting they want this due to space constraints. The furnace cannot be easily serviced (or the filter changed at the very least) if a wall is put up between the bathroom and furnace.

I think it's a bad idea, and I've said as much.

Other downsides?
--bathroom gases/mosture/humidity and proximity to furnace
--not code compliant? ... I can make an easy case for a bathroom to be isolated due to above reasons, but does a furnace need to be isolated?

I probably will insist on it, code violations being my excuse, but the real reason is it's just plain strange! but other convincing arguments would be helpful too

#4 ·
G2406.2 (303.3) Prohibited locations. Appliances shall not be located in sleeping rooms, bathrooms, toilet rooms, storage closets or surgical rooms, or in a space that opens only into such rooms or spaces, except where the installation complies with one of the following:

1. The appliance is a direct-vent appliance installed in accordance with the conditions of the listing and the manufacturer’s instructions. 2. Vented room heaters, wall furnaces, vented decorative appliances, vented gas fireplaces, vented gas fireplace heaters and decorative appliances for installation in vented solid fuel-burning fireplaces are installed in rooms that meet the required volume criteria of Section G2407.5. 3. A single wall-mounted unvented room heater is installed in a bathroom and such unvented room heater is equipped as specified in Section G2445.6 and has an input rating not greater than 6,000 Btu/h (1.76 kW). The bathroom shall meet the required volume criteria of Section G2407.5. 4. A single wall-mounted unvented room heater is installed in a bedroom and such unvented room heater is equipped as specified in Section G2445.6 and has an input rating not greater than 10,000 Btu/h (2.93 kW). The bedroom shall meet the required volume criteria of Section G2407.5. 5. The appliance is installed in a room or space that opens only into a bedroom or bathroom, and such room or space is used for no other purpose and is provided with a solid weather-stripped door equipped with an approved self-closing device. All combustion air shall be taken directly from the outdoors in accordance with Section G2407.6.A little late I know but what the hell.

Andy.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.