Bathroom Design Help - Dark Floor And Wall Tile The Same? - Architecture & Design - Contractor Talk

Bathroom Design Help - Dark Floor And Wall Tile The Same?

Old 07-28-2012, 10:13 PM   #1
Pro

Trade: General Contracting
Rewards Points: 562

Bathroom Design Help - Dark Floor And Wall Tile The Same?

Hi folks,

What do you thing of floor and wall tile being the same in a walkin shower wall/floor and bathroom floor?

I need a bit of help with a design question for bathroom. I don't want this thing to look like a 'contractor's designed bathroom'... which is why I'm going to suggest the HO also consider getting some reputable design advice.

Here's what we have to work with:
--Bathroom is 5'6" wide x 10' long - interior to house, no natural light.
--66x42 shower at far end of shower, body jets, etc.
--HO has purchased an espresso vanity (hanging off wall) and frosted glass with floral pattern on front.
--builtin pantry will be matching dark espresso, with more light grey frosted glass.
--They want grey, not afraid of a little colour, but want to steer clear of beige at all costs.

I found a really nice tile - 12x24 called 'waterfall'. It's dark charcoal, almost black with about a 50% etched pattern that looks like rain streaks. It is going to look amazing in the shower walls. It also seems to match the vanity and complements the frosted glass.

I would like to continue it down the shower walls (tiles laid tall) so it looks like 'rain'. I have done a similar bathroom where I've continued the wall tile on the floor of the shower, up and over the curb, and out into the bathroom floor. To handle the large format tile on the floor, I would go with a linear drain.

Do you think this layout would work, or would it be too much dark tile? HO wants alot of light in there, so there will be a good number of pots in the ceiling.
Attached Thumbnails
Bathroom Design Help - dark floor and wall tile the same?-dq.wf.blk.1224.jpg  

Last edited by sbcontracting; 07-28-2012 at 10:20 PM. Reason: Edit: Found the tile!

Warning: The topics covered on this site include activities in which there exists the potential for serious injury or death. ContractorTalk.com DOES NOT guarantee the accuracy or completeness of any information contained on this site. Always use proper safety precaution and reference reliable outside sources before attempting any construction or remodeling task!

Advertisement

Old 07-29-2012, 10:10 AM   #2
Designer/Contractor

Trade: General Contractor
Rewards Points: 2,598

Re: Bathroom Design Help - Dark Floor And Wall Tile The Same?

I think it's nice to have some differentiation between the walls and the floor.

Advertisement

The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Rio For This Useful Post:
fjn (02-08-2013), sbcontracting (07-29-2012)
Old 07-29-2012, 08:37 PM   #3
Pro

Trade: Custom
Rewards Points: 29,364

Quote:
Originally Posted by sbcontracting View Post
Hi folks,

What do you thing of floor and wall tile being the same in a walkin shower wall/floor and bathroom floor?

I need a bit of help with a design question for bathroom. I don't want this thing to look like a 'contractor's designed bathroom'... which is why I'm going to suggest the HO also consider getting some reputable design advice.

Here's what we have to work with:
--Bathroom is 5'6" wide x 10' long - interior to house, no natural light.
--66x42 shower at far end of shower, body jets, etc.
--HO has purchased an espresso vanity (hanging off wall) and frosted glass with floral pattern on front.
--builtin pantry will be matching dark espresso, with more light grey frosted glass.
--They want grey, not afraid of a little colour, but want to steer clear of beige at all costs.

I found a really nice tile - 12x24 called 'waterfall'. It's dark charcoal, almost black with about a 50% etched pattern that looks like rain streaks. It is going to look amazing in the shower walls. It also seems to match the vanity and complements the frosted glass.

I would like to continue it down the shower walls (tiles laid tall) so it looks like 'rain'. I have done a similar bathroom where I've continued the wall tile on the floor of the shower, up and over the curb, and out into the bathroom floor. To handle the large format tile on the floor, I would go with a linear drain.

Do you think this layout would work, or would it be too much dark tile? HO wants alot of light in there, so there will be a good number of pots in the ceiling.
You can do anything, but it would lack character and the elements that create design are lost... with the color you have, IMHO it would seem more like a tomb...

Old 07-29-2012, 09:14 PM   #4
Pro

Trade: remodeling
Rewards Points: 96

pebble flooring in shower might add a little "lightness" in color and add another texture.
The Following User Says Thank You to GO Remodeling For This Useful Post:
BlueRidgeGreen (10-02-2013)
Old 07-30-2012, 08:19 PM   #5
Windwash

Trade: Remodeling
Rewards Points: 148

I think hiring a designer may be a good choice. I think it may be a bit dark with the floors and walls done with that tile and maybe too masculine looking

I like the tile you have shown. Does it have a texture to it or are the lines 2D? Also, is it rated for floor use?

Solar tubes (for light) work well if the bath is on the top floor and you have access to the roof.
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Windwash For This Useful Post:
ArtisanRemod (02-08-2013), sbcontracting (07-30-2012)
Old 07-30-2012, 08:30 PM   #6
Hair Splitter

Trade: General
Rewards Points: 88

I would go with a designer. I hate giving design advice, because when they don't like it, I am the one that gets blamed.

Now, if I want to steer them in a certain direction, I do it in such a way that they think it was their idea.
Originally Posted by CarpenterSFO View Post
You ask for your money frequently, and you collect it quickly, else you stop working immediately.
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to TNTSERVICES For This Useful Post:
Big Shoe (07-31-2012), mikeswoods (10-01-2012)
Old 07-30-2012, 08:32 PM   #7
Pro

Yes there is texture. It's a really sharp tile.

I defininitely want to avoid the masculine bathroom. I think the HO's are going with the pebble flooring in the shower. Possibly a third option for some accent tile. Accent tile may only be in shower niches.

With the shower floor lighter, I still think it might be too dark for the floor as well.. Will keep folks posted.

Regards, Mike
Old 08-06-2012, 08:39 AM   #8
New Guy

Trade: Project Management
Rewards Points: 10

My wife and I just re-tiled our master bath. We were going to use the same tile all the way around. This is just my two cents, but mid stream we opted to use similar, but different tiles to break up the pattern. It turned out really well.
Old 08-12-2012, 04:38 PM   #9
New Guy

Trade: Carpenter

I agree, I think it's too dark and would seem very masculine. Remember, dark colors make a room seem smaller too. Maybe some light counter tops would help.

I think you need to try and get some natural light in there if you can. That would help lighten it up. Besides you don't want to put a ton of bright lights in a bathroom. When they walked in there first thing in the morning it would kill their eyes.

Last edited by Frank5; 08-12-2012 at 04:40 PM.
Old 08-25-2012, 06:13 AM   #10
New Guy

Trade: remodel products

I too agree. That is a dark color but if you like that color you can always apply it on the floor but not on the wall tile as it would make your bathroom look small. You can also install a gorgeous bathroom vanities in your bathroom which would make your bathroom look bright and attractive. For bathroom tile you can go for light blue color and for vanities check out this:

http://img.tootoo.com/mytootoo/uploa...c0013295ac.gif

Last edited by allenmontana; 09-05-2012 at 01:35 AM. Reason: Remove promotional link
Old 08-25-2012, 09:48 AM   #11
New Guy

Trade: remodeler/reseller

I just looked at doing exactly the same thing with the exact same tile (I use a lot of the rect. rotoprints) but it is just too dark....I think I will roll with the 12x24 Uptown Grey, it's solid lighter grey color and more of a matte finish that will work well with accents 1" or 2" accents. Only reason I'm considering using the same tile on floor and stall is that my current project is a funky mod theme with a 500 sf. loft master suite

Last edited by RebuildTeam; 08-25-2012 at 09:54 AM.
Old 08-25-2012, 01:26 PM   #12
Pro

Trade: Residential Design/Build Remodeler & Home Builder
Rewards Points: 75

I am the one dissenting opinion here. I believe that tile would be awesome if you carry it through the floor like a stripe from the shower profile out. The rest of the field should then be a light tile even white to give contrast. This would give almost a carpet feel leading into the shower. I know its a personal thing but I personally am tired of the stone floor. Even better, run the floor with this tile out on the floor in a herringbone pattern!!
Old 08-25-2012, 02:58 PM   #13
Pro

Trade: builder fl cbc
Rewards Points: 4,094

just finished bath this week, tile looks like yours size 20's, shower walls checker board pattern, floor grain going same way, light 2x2's on shower floor matching corian on step, designer, looks killer.
Old 08-25-2012, 09:38 PM   #14
Pro

Trade: Home Remodels
Rewards Points: 851

A designer is an option but with them "Traditional" designs rules no longer apply. So they may say go for it and use light materials else where. I like the pebble floor idea to.

Otherwise get a CAD program and make it in 3D before you sell it or hang it. With todays tech I can import a tile or any material and give you an accurate representation.

This is a Tile Shop tile
Attached Thumbnails
Bathroom Design Help - dark floor and wall tile the same?-legno-luce-6-x-24-moonlight-glass.jpg  
Old 08-25-2012, 11:16 PM   #15
Pro

Trade: Residential Design/Build Remodeler & Home Builder
Rewards Points: 75

Quote:
Originally Posted by sunkist View Post
just finished bath this week, tile looks like yours size 20's, shower walls checker board pattern, floor grain going same way, light 2x2's on shower floor matching corian on step, designer, looks killer.
Pics PLz
Old 09-04-2012, 06:41 AM   #16
Pro

Trade: Remodeling
Rewards Points: 238

yeah sunkist! pics!
Old 09-28-2012, 10:31 AM   #17
Jeff Slick

Trade: Remodeling, and New Construction

The tile color should be fine, but I would suggest using an accent tile, not only in the shower area, but also in the floor tiles, as well. You could always break up the floor tiles with a small mosaic border, or a random mosaic design throughout the floor. This will also work on the walls. That way you can keep your original idea, for it to look like rain, but also add lighter tiles to the equation. Hope this helps you out, and good luck.
Old 09-29-2012, 12:41 PM   #18
New Guy

Trade: remodels
Rewards Points: 16

Bit of different perspective here... My first thought was that the 'rain stripes' coming out of the shower would look cool. My second thought was that dark tile in showers are a bugger to keep clean and show every little bit of soap scum and water spots. Yeah, I'm the cleaning lady too.
Old 10-01-2012, 06:29 AM   #19
Pro

This bath is almost complete. We're doing the last of the grout today. Will take some photos when complete.

HO went with the black waterfall. No accent tile needed. THere is so much chrome in this shower that it's enough. I did throw in some corian in the shower niches but it's complementary.

Floor is a grey-beige. It's alright, but overall the bath is going to POP!!
Old 02-08-2013, 06:54 AM   #20
Pro

Trade: Custom
Rewards Points: 29,364

Quote:
Originally Posted by sbcontracting View Post
This bath is almost complete. We're doing the last of the grout today. Will take some photos when complete.

HO went with the black waterfall. No accent tile needed. THere is so much chrome in this shower that it's enough. I did throw in some corian in the shower niches but it's complementary.

Floor is a grey-beige. It's alright, but overall the bath is going to POP!!
Look forward to the pics...

When did you start this? This thread goes back to July of last year...

Advertisement