Demolition A House With LEAD?

Old 03-22-2012, 11:53 AM   #1

Trade: general contractor
Rewards Points: 10

Demolition A House With LEAD?

Hi guys
I just bid on a job that involves gutting down a 1950 home and rebuilding a new one. Of course any home before 1978 gets special treatment. I will need to get the house tested for lead & asbestos. But considering this is an OLD house of course lead will be a major problem when demo.Even a small paint job is a hassle already considering all the extra steps that we have to do so not to get fined by the city. I can't imagine taking down a house that might be contaminated with lead. Anyone out there do their own demo or have a sub it out to a demolition company? I've demo a house before but not since the new law came out. I would save alot of money doing it myself but I don't know how to go about it...there will be alot of trash bags to consider and extra precaution. Would it be wiser to just call a demo company to take care of it for me? Any tips or advise how to do this myself would be greatly appreciated.
THank you

Warning: The topics covered on this site include activities in which there exists the potential for serious injury or death. ContractorTalk.com DOES NOT guarantee the accuracy or completeness of any information contained on this site. Always use proper safety precaution and reference reliable outside sources before attempting any construction or remodeling task!

Old 03-22-2012, 12:46 PM   #2
Pro

Trade: Remodeling Contractor/Helical Post Installer
Rewards Points: 1,686

Re: Demolition A House With LEAD?

I am sure someone will come through and confirm, and you should get something in writing but I believe if the entire house is being demolished RRP does not apply.

Old 03-22-2012, 01:52 PM   #3
Pro

Trade: Construction
Rewards Points: 208

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dan_Watson View Post
I am sure someone will come through and confirm, and you should get something in writing but I believe if the entire house is being demolished RRP does not apply.
That cant be right can it? if so thats makes the RRP rule even more stupid than it currently is. How they could allow a house with lead in it to be pulled down with zero containment but you cant change a window without a **** load of work to contain the lead
Old 03-22-2012, 03:16 PM   #4
Sean

Trade: In Between Titles
Rewards Points: 2,110

Demoing the entire building & building new doesn't count under the RRP - remember RRP only covers renovations, repairs & painting & is essentialy to protect the occupants only
Old 03-22-2012, 03:42 PM   #5
Pro

Trade: Remodel/Glazing
Rewards Points: 2,670

Quote:
Originally Posted by SLSTech View Post
Demoing the entire building & building new doesn't count under the RRP - remember RRP only covers renovations, repairs & painting & is essentialy to protect the occupants only
What he said.
Old 03-22-2012, 05:01 PM   #6
The Sheriff

Trade: GC
Rewards Points: 5,068

Inspectors here want to see precation taken for demoing a house with lead. Meaning a lead test . Demoed a 70 year old house for a boat ramp recently . It was negative, I showed results to inspectors office. If positive, a tent??? Or what?
Old 03-22-2012, 08:12 PM   #7
Palisade Point Const.

Trade: Remodeling/Finish/Framing/Log
Rewards Points: 1,000

They are worried about distributing lead dust around the house, where children might come in contact with it. When you haul off the whole house, then you don't have to worry about dust inside the house anymore.

Now, if you are just gutting the house and not completely removing it, then RRP becomes an issue, even if you are gutting it to bare framing.

If you had to follow RRP on a complete demo, I would think it would be the exterior of the house that you would have to protect. Everything inside the footprint gets hauled away, but stuff could fall into the yard, and leave behind dust. You could set the job up just the way you would if you were removing lead painted siding, and that would probably cover it.

Last edited by TempestV; 03-22-2012 at 08:20 PM.
Old 03-22-2012, 08:35 PM   #8
Pro

Trade: Kitchen and bath design+remodel
Rewards Points: 500

Typically you do have to have pre demo asbestos survey so you can dump.

Old 03-22-2012, 09:54 PM   #9

thanks for your help guys...i would prolly do the job myself to save some money i know if i sub it out it could easily be 10k + here. To make things more difficult its a stucco house so more precautions. I guess I'll never know the extent of it til I get it tested. I don't know about different areas but here I will need to do the recycle thing with the city. Application where i have to determine what and how much i will be recycling, keep all the receipts and show to the city after all is done or pay a fine. If I rent a dumpster, they'll just throw everything in together and not separate it.
Old 03-22-2012, 09:59 PM   #10
Every now and then poster

Trade: Home Remodeling Professional
Rewards Points: 2,302

Quote:
Originally Posted by TempestV
They are worried about distributing lead dust around the house, where children might come in contact with it. When you haul off the whole house, then you don't have to worry about dust inside the house anymore.

Now, if you are just gutting the house and not completely removing it, then RRP becomes an issue, even if you are gutting it to bare framing.

If you had to follow RRP on a complete demo, I would think it would be the exterior of the house that you would have to protect. Everything inside the footprint gets hauled away, but stuff could fall into the yard, and leave behind dust. You could set the job up just the way you would if you were removing lead painted siding, and that would probably cover it.
Thats good advice.
Old 03-23-2012, 06:42 AM   #11
Pro

Trade: Carpenter/GC
Rewards Points: 516

Quote:
Originally Posted by jawtrs View Post
Inspectors here want to see precation taken for demoing a house with lead. Meaning a lead test . Demoed a 70 year old house for a boat ramp recently . It was negative, I showed results to inspectors office. If positive, a tent??? Or what?
That was probably due to proximity to water. Just guessing
Old 03-26-2012, 06:29 PM   #12
Pro

Trade: helping people avoid problems with toxic materials
Rewards Points: 252

Where are you located?

The lead inspection for that project will be needed for OSHA compliance, and will show what waste needs to be "profiled" for proper disposal.

An asbestos survey will also be needed.

There may not be all that much lead. The oldest residential building we've inspected with no LBP was built in the middle-1950s.

Last edited by FStephenMasek; 03-28-2012 at 06:47 PM.
Old 03-28-2012, 09:13 AM   #13

I am in california..
Wow hopefully i am lucky and the the test would come out negative..
I am in the process of getting quotes for the tests... So far the price range from $900 to 1,600 just for asbestos. N lead would cost additional 600.
I wonder can i buy the kit n have test it myself ?
Old 03-28-2012, 06:49 PM   #14
Pro

Quote:
Originally Posted by adam477 View Post
I am in california..I wonder can i buy the kit n have test it myself ?
You can not test it yourself - California has had a certification for lead inspectors/risk assessors since 1993, and one of them needs to do it. I see that you are in Oakland. Prices for consulting in the SF Bay area are substantially higher than in southern California. Perhaps due to the higher cost of housing?

Last edited by FStephenMasek; 03-28-2012 at 06:59 PM.
Old 04-04-2012, 06:19 PM   #15

Update guys..I got the asbestos/lead report and unfortunately lead is found above OSHA level but not EPA...but yahoo no asbestos.

Lead-Based Paint:
Chip samples were collected of the various paints scheduled for disturbance to
determine risk potential and OSHA compliance for demolition purposes. Four (4)
various paints were identified as representative, recognizing that samples may be
multi-layered:
Sample Location Color % lead EPA lead? OSHA lead?
L101 Interior wall (drywall) Yellow 0.017% No Yes
L102 Interior trim (wood) White 0.067% No Yes
L103 Exterior wall (wood) Yellow <0.006% No No
L104 Exterior trim (wood) Blue/grey <0.006% No No
None of the paints were found to be above the EPA definition of lead-based paint.
Two were above the laboratory detection limit, and therefore are above the Cal-OSHA
level of detectable lead content. Contractors should be advised of the lead content of
Old 04-10-2012, 07:22 PM   #16
Pro

1) You did not get a real lead-based paint survey if you got just scrape samples! Where was their XRF?

2) What about ceramic tile glazes which may contain lead? If any is present, it should have been tested.

3) The main issue with OSHA and levels above zero, but below 1.0 mg/cm2, is exposure assessment. Buy a personal pump and a box of lead air sample cassettes (total $300), run samples every now and then by worker category (training, task) and material, and keep the data organized. The samples are analyzed by a laboratory (non-rush $8 each). Then read the Cal-OSHA regulations.