You Are Responsible For.......YOU!

Old 06-29-2011, 06:55 PM   #1
;-p

Trade: I do that too!
Rewards Points: 2,544

You Are Responsible For.......YOU!

Lately I have read some posts that like to point fingers at someone else for making the poster's life hell. They always get the same response from most saying basically that in the end you are responsible for you.

I have had my own dealings with these situations in my life also. It is easy to point the finger because it gives you a quick feeling of less responsibility. But in the end when you sit down and take a look at the steps taken to get to where you are at it all boils down to what kind of decisions you have taken and how responsible you are or were with the outcome.

If you rely heavily on one single customer to see you thru good times and bad, then you are doomed. Who do you think they are looking out for? Themselves is the answer. When times get bad for them rarely will they think about who their actions will affect.

I ran my own business and soon realized I have to be a hustler to see me thru all the ups and downs. I had a family to take care of. But that wife I had had different ideas. So I made sure to give my name to all the other contractors cause I could see my marriage going south quick. In the end the marriage was done, I closed up shop and had a job the next Monday.

I still make sure I know what is going on around town with other contractors because what if the one I work for suddenly had to close up shop too. He would do what he would do for him. I am sure he would not want to see his old employees out on the street but he needs to keep his head above water.

The long winded point is, save, don't over spend, keep many prospects open, be prepared to do anything you have to to keep you and your immediate family above water. I wish we all could stay in business forever but you just never know.

YOU......and only you steer your vehicle and right now your vehicle is called your destiny!
Kent Whitten (06-29-2011)

Warning: The topics covered on this site include activities in which there exists the potential for serious injury or death. ContractorTalk.com DOES NOT guarantee the accuracy or completeness of any information contained on this site. Always use proper safety precaution and reference reliable outside sources before attempting any construction or remodeling task!

Old 06-29-2011, 07:00 PM   #2
New Guy

Trade: New York
Rewards Points: 10

Re: You Are Responsible For.......YOU!

Yep!

Old 06-29-2011, 07:29 PM   #3
General Contractor

Trade: General Contractor
Location: St. Petersburg, FL Minds of moderate caliber ordinarily condemn everything which is beyond their range.
Rewards Points: 2,198

And it is usually many small Seemingly Unimportant Decisions that can be our undoing, rather than one huge disasterous screw-up.

Below, is a 'handout' I give to the clients in my Behavioral Modification Classes......

Seemingly Unimportant Decisions (SUD’s)

I hear almost daily of someone who is caught in the clutches of the law making comments to this effect: “It wasn’t really my fault because………” And the“because” can cover almost the entire spectrum of excuses.

One of the most common is “The computer dumped some CP on me, unawares, when all I’ve ever done was download “legal” ****.” I don’t doubt this is true. But, over the years, I’ve noticed something interesting about computers. I got my first one in the 80’s, and they still act pretty much the same to this very day. They don’t do too much they aren’t directed to do by their operator.

“But I never asked for CP!” No, but you DID request that the computer find you some ****.

Well, I imagine it brought you quite a variety of ****… girls of all races…girls of all sizes… girls in all positions… etc. And men of all races… men of all sizes… men in all positions… etc. And men & women of all races… men & women of all sizes… men & women in all positions… etc. And women & women of all races… women & women of all sizes… women & women in all positions… etc. And men & men of all races… men & men of all sizes…men & men in all positions… etc. Did you ask specifically for the whole collection? Probably not. You asked for “****”. Oh, yeah, you probably were treated to a fair assortment of animals and inanimate objects also.

You didn’t particularly want ALL that weird stuff (or maybe you did?), but you got it anyway.

“But someone sent me this BAD stuff too!” “This CP.” Well, DUH !!!!! Like any of that stuff is GOOD??

What did you think you purchased when you plunked down your thousand bucks for a pile of circuits inside a plastic box? You may have expected a miracle of Artificial Intelligence… but all you paid for was a machine that makes selections based upon what you ask for. A bunch of dumb “Yes” or “No” switching circuitry, nothing more.

So, this leaves you in charge of making the initial decisions for the computer, and in your life. Every one of them. Neglect to think about the possible consequences of your decisions, and you can expect to pay the price for that negligence.

We should understand this simple concept by now. After all, we engage it in almost everything we do all day long. Start your car, and “ask” it to back you out of the driveway. (You do this by stepping on that long, rectangle pedal on the floor… the one to the right.) But if you don’t first think of the consequences of that action, chances are you could back out in front of oncoming traffic, or back over a bicycle… with or without a child on it.

Step under your shower flow, and if you neglected to select the proper water temperature, you could be in for a chilling (or scalding) surprise.

Squat down, and just open your arms to the dog running toward you, barking, and things could get a little nasty.

My point is: Do almost anything without thinking, and you can easily end up wishing you had not. And this applies to more than merely the examples given above.

Decide to go out drinking, (depending on how you react to alcohol), and you might encounter some situations that could result in trouble for you. You could get drugged and raped. Happens all the time. You could VERY easily get into a fight with another drunk. I used to go out HOPING for this, and I could have been the guy who found you for my nightly entertainment. You could make yourself an easy target for a mugging. You could kill someone driving home. (More likely if you’re drinking than if you aren’t)

Do you put a bunch of personal information on any Internet forum or Chat room? Are you so naive as to think that it cannot come back to bite you in the butt? You better believe it can, and often will, in hundreds of ways. Yet we are so shocked and surprised when it does.

But, let’s bring it home. You make a decision to hook up with a gang. And each time they go out to do something illegal, you again make a decision. Usually, it is to go along with them. By the way, these are ALWAYS going to be your decisions, alone, to make. You can never say you were forced into them by anyone. It’s part of being an adult now.

So, the latest stupidity is robbing a liquor store for a few hundred bucks. Talk about dumb… Split between you, it’s about enough money to buy yourself a new hat or a good dinner. And if the poor slob behind the counter makes a gesture or comment one of your homies doesn’t like.... It’s his last “Mistake”. Snake blows him away. And of course, as is often the case, the cops have you all within a matter of hours. Guess who’s going down right beside that idiot, Snake? That’s right, you are. 25 to life, and you were just along for the kicks. Unfair as hell, right? Well, you made the decision. And the unbelievable thing is you KNEW the consequences before you made that decision that night… before you even made the first decision to align yourself with a bunch of guys with no future BUT prison.

I could go on and on. We all do enough stupid things based upon our poor decisions to fill an entire book.

But the lesson here is that we usually DO have the choice to make any sort of decision that we choose. It is the making of bad ones that catch us up.

So WHY IN THE WORLD DO WE DELIBERATELY MAKE HUGE BAD DECISIONS?

The truth is that we often don’t. What we DO make are many small, Seemingly Unimportant Decisions that lead to our eventual downfall.

Seemingly Unimportant Decisions. Make an acronym out of that, and it reads SUD’s…

S U D ‘s. And just as too many SUD’s will clog up a washing machine, too many Seemingly UnimportantDecisions (SUD’s) will clog up the successful operation of our lives.

It isn’t necessarily the big, horrific decisions that crush us like one gigantic boulder. It’s all the hundreds and thousands of incorrect decisions made each day (the Seemingly UnimportantDecisions) that we pour out in front of us, paving our way to prison.

All this boils down to one inescapable fact. We need to use our brains more. We need to THINK once in awhile! We need to condition ourselves to consider what each of the small steps we take each day may be leading us toward. Absolutely nothing we do is without some sort of consequence… nothing! And, if we choose to DECIDE to ignore that fact…………
Old 06-29-2011, 07:30 PM   #4
Pro

Trade: Licensed Electrical Contractor and Remodeler
Rewards Points: 3,596

Good post!

Don't put all your eggs in one basket, and live beneath your means. You will be ahead of the game most of the time.
Old 06-29-2011, 07:41 PM   #5
PRO

Rewards Points: 1,000

Good thread but my A.D.D. kicked in on Willies post....damn thats long!
Old 06-29-2011, 07:43 PM   #6
General Contractor

Location: St. Petersburg, FL Minds of moderate caliber ordinarily condemn everything which is beyond their range.
Rewards Points: 2,198

Quote:
Originally Posted by BrandConst View Post
Good thread but my A.D.D. kicked in on Willies post....damn thats long!
Perhaps not a great decision.....
Old 06-29-2011, 07:54 PM   #7
Geometrist

Trade: framing/remodeling
Rewards Points: 2,435

He "ADDed" more suds and it got washed away.
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Warren For This Useful Post:
JT Wood (06-29-2011), Willie T (06-29-2011)
Old 06-29-2011, 09:10 PM   #8
LRG WoodCrafting

Trade: DIY Home Owner
Rewards Points: 12,222

Lets get our politicians to read this thread.

Quote:
Originally Posted by HusqyPro View Post
Carpenter by day.
Mad scientist by night.
http://lrgwood.com
Custom Cabinets in Hartford County Connecticut
Old 06-29-2011, 09:18 PM   #9
;-p

Trade: I do that too!
Rewards Points: 2,544

Quote:
Originally Posted by Leo G View Post
Lets get our politicians to read this thread.
Why? Because it is not their fault the photo of their genitals where taken and sent to the wrong people?
Old 06-29-2011, 10:26 PM   #10
I like Green things

Trade: Custom Carpentry Services
Rewards Points: 4,788

I am not responsible for anything.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Californiadecks View Post
I don't normally talk to people like I talk to you, however you have the little immature schoolgirl mentality so this is new to me.
Warner Remodeling
The Following User Says Thank You to WarnerConstInc. For This Useful Post:
Dirtywhiteboy (06-29-2011)