Contractor Talk - Professional Construction and Remodeling Forum banner
Status
Not open for further replies.

Winter Deck in Montral

3K views 3 replies 3 participants last post by  mat casters 
#1 ·
I have an old ciment deck built on ciment pillars.I want to redo the deck. I removed the rotten wood and the ciment is crumbly looking (someone put salt on it!!). Deck is right below a steep metal roof that gathers a lot of ice in the winter. Every day a slab of ice slides of the roof and crashes onto the deck. Althought ice guards will retain the ice, it would make it too heavy for the 150-200 year old house. I would like to redo the deck with treated wood but I don't want it to rot. What kind of deck should I do , and how? The deck is closed on the east and north side (against the house) and open on the south and west side. My wife would have liked ceramic, but I think they would break at the first impact of ice. To redo the ciment and leave it - I think that would not look nice. Maybe remove the ciment slab (20x20) and insert metal post to fill in the gap then put the treated wood on the metal posts and ciment pillars and let the water and vetalation do their thing. Redo the ciment with a more of an incline and the set the deck on it, using shims? Help, Richard

#3 ·
Thanks for posting on ContractorTalk.com. The Moderators of this forum would prefer if you post Do It Yourself related topics on our sister site www.DIYChatroom.com

ContractorTalk.com is designed for professional contractor's to discuss issues and topics related to the construction and remodeling industries. Many of our professional contractors are also members at DIYChatroom.com and are looking forward to assist you with your needs.

Please take a moment to post your question at www.DIYChatroom.com If your not already a member of DIYChatroom.com you can sign up for a free account by going to http://www.diychatroom.com/register.php/

We apologize for any inconvenience that this may have caused. This thread has been closed

#4 ·
Thank you for your reply. I'm not a contractor, but just an office employee. I have a contractor doing an addition to my house. We've discussed the deck problem, and he seemed to be in between 2 or 3 possibilities. Being totally GREEN in the construction field, I'm asking different opignion, since I already got the deck done once and the contractor screwed up and left town. First time on this site, first time in a chat room. But again, thanks for taking the time. Richard

Status
Not open for further replies.
You have insufficient privileges to reply here.