Why Everyone Want Be A Finish Carpenter?

 
Thread Tools Search this Thread Display Modes
Old 10-26-2017, 12:51 AM   #21
Member
 
Kumpel's Avatar
 
Trade: General Contractor
Join Date: Aug 2017
Location: Florida
Posts: 71
Rewards Points: 24

Re: Why Everyone Want Be A Finish Carpenter?


Quote:
Originally Posted by Dirtywhiteboy View Post
I always wanted to be a finish carpenter so I could use one of those cute little light finish guns.
Gotta love the brad nailer
Kumpel is offline  

Warning: The topics covered on this site include activities in which there exists the potential for serious injury or death. ContractorTalk.com DOES NOT guarantee the accuracy or completeness of any information contained on this site. Always use proper safety precaution and reference reliable outside sources before attempting any construction or remodeling task!

   

Advertisement

 

Old 10-26-2017, 09:30 AM   #22
Pro
 
Big Johnson's Avatar
 
Trade: Contractor and Grunt
Join Date: Jun 2017
Location: Michigan
Posts: 606
Rewards Points: 36

Re: Why Everyone Want Be A Finish Carpenter?


Quote:
Originally Posted by Dirtywhiteboy View Post
Creole has something to do with being mixed with french. Down in the poor parts of the Caribbean they speak creole that is frenck, spanish and some others mixed in there. I saw a guy working in Lowes from Haiti and gave him a greeting in Creole he was shocked
From Wikipedia:

"A creole language[1][2][3] is a stable natural language developed from a mixture of different languages. While the concept is similar to that of a mixed or hybrid language, in the strict sense of the term, a mixed/hybrid language has derived from two or more languages, to such an extent that it is no longer closely related to the source languages. Creoles also differ from pidgins in that, while a pidgin has a highly simplified linguistic structure that develops as a means of establishing communication between two or more disparate language groups, a creole language is more complex, used for day-to-day purposes in a community, and acquired by children as a native language. Creole languages, therefore, have a fully developed vocabulary and system of grammar"

https://en.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/Creole_language




Tipi is definitely pidgin---

"pidgin has a highly simplified linguistic structure"

Last edited by Big Johnson; 10-26-2017 at 09:33 AM.
Big Johnson is offline  
The Following User Says Thank You to Big Johnson For This Useful Post:
SmallTownGuy (10-26-2017)
Old 10-27-2017, 08:02 PM   #23
Pro
 
tipitop's Avatar
 
Trade: carpenter
Join Date: Dec 2013
Location: Minnesota
Posts: 896
Rewards Points: 2,635

Re: Why Everyone Want Be A Finish Carpenter?


Quote:
Originally Posted by Warren View Post
To add because anyone want be it it come with talking who have longer. I just can not wrap my head about it.


Until Mike gets here to translate, I really can't comment on this.
Because market for trim carpenters is saturated with folks that want be trimmers it is lot of talking "I'm best and you are bad" in this trade. I felt it in "carpenter trim" part of this forum to.
tipitop is offline  
   
 
Old 10-27-2017, 08:06 PM   #24
Pro
 
tipitop's Avatar
 
Trade: carpenter
Join Date: Dec 2013
Location: Minnesota
Posts: 896
Rewards Points: 2,635

Re: Why Everyone Want Be A Finish Carpenter?


Quote:
Originally Posted by Jaws View Post
We do some pretty custom stuff but when the crew/job is well.run I make more money framing, unless you add cabinets in with trim. We have a cabinet shop and if you add GP from trim/cabinets it's close.
To build a custom cabinet take me a lot of time. I can run a lot walls in basement for tame that I need to build a cabinet. So I basically give up at cabinet building. I'm frame&trim now. And a couple companies that I worked for stop doing cabinets building too.
tipitop is offline  
Old 10-27-2017, 08:09 PM   #25
Pro
 
tipitop's Avatar
 
Trade: carpenter
Join Date: Dec 2013
Location: Minnesota
Posts: 896
Rewards Points: 2,635

Re: Why Everyone Want Be A Finish Carpenter?


Quote:
Originally Posted by Tom Struble View Post
i specialize in siding..i'm an idiot,but a happy one
Whatsoever bring most green. Problem with trim is that there is not much of it to do once a house is build. For difference of roofing and siding that should be renewed in some time.
tipitop is offline  
The Following User Says Thank You to tipitop For This Useful Post:
Tom Struble (10-27-2017)
Old 10-27-2017, 09:15 PM   #26
Lazy Millennial
 
Youngin''s Avatar
 
Trade: Carpenter
Join Date: Sep 2012
Location: Edmonton, AB
Posts: 3,578
Rewards Points: 32

Re: Why Everyone Want Be A Finish Carpenter?


Because winters up here cause frostbite.
__________________
Quote:
Originally Posted by mnld View Post
Home Depot... you can glue it, we can help!
Youngin' is offline  
The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to Youngin' For This Useful Post:
Anthill (10-28-2017), Californiadecks (10-28-2017), SmallTownGuy (10-28-2017)
Old 10-27-2017, 09:39 PM   #27
The Sheriff

 
Jaws's Avatar
 
Trade: GC
Join Date: Dec 2010
Location: Texas
Posts: 18,635
Rewards Points: 358

Re: Why Everyone Want Be A Finish Carpenter?


Quote:
Originally Posted by tipitop View Post
To build a custom cabinet take me a lot of time. I can run a lot walls in basement for tame that I need to build a cabinet. So I basically give up at cabinet building. I'm frame&trim now. And a couple companies that I worked for stop doing cabinets building too.
We charge a he'll of a lot more for shop or cabinet time. Trim and framing same rate
__________________
"The sound of the saftey clicking off is the only warning your gonna get......., so cover your ears" Northeast Wyoming 2016

John
Jaws is offline  
The Following User Says Thank You to Jaws For This Useful Post:
SmallTownGuy (10-28-2017)
Old 10-28-2017, 01:11 AM   #28
Pro
 
Dirtywhiteboy's Avatar
 
Trade: Home Framing- Roof Stacking
Join Date: Oct 2010
Location: Honolulu Oahu,Hawaii
Posts: 13,892
Rewards Points: 6,936

Re: Why Everyone Want Be A Finish Carpenter?


Quote:
Originally Posted by Big Johnson View Post
From Wikipedia:

"A creole language[1][2][3] is a stable natural language developed from a mixture of different languages. While the concept is similar to that of a mixed or hybrid language, in the strict sense of the term, a mixed/hybrid language has derived from two or more languages, to such an extent that it is no longer closely related to the source languages. Creoles also differ from pidgins in that, while a pidgin has a highly simplified linguistic structure that develops as a means of establishing communication between two or more disparate language groups, a creole language is more complex, used for day-to-day purposes in a community, and acquired by children as a native language. Creole languages, therefore, have a fully developed vocabulary and system of grammar"

https://en.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/Creole_language




Tipi is definitely pidgin---

"pidgin has a highly simplified linguistic structure"
Does that mean you speak some Creole too I got half good at it when I was young working in hotels in south Fla. because the kitchens were full of very hard working Haitians. The educated Haitians spoke French. I've been told when they went to school they were not allowed to speak Creole.
__________________
I Have Done So Much With So Little For So Long, I Can Do Almost Anything With Nothing Now
Dirtywhiteboy is online now  
Old 10-28-2017, 02:52 PM   #29
Pro
 
Stilla's Avatar
 
Trade: Finish carpentry
Join Date: Sep 2017
Posts: 126
Rewards Points: 422

Re: Why Everyone Want Be A Finish Carpenter?


9Anyone can claim they are finish carpenters. The next evolutionary step for a qualified finish carpenter, is lead carpenter, which equates to being the site super. Finish carpenter's have a broad spectrum of experiences. Installing baseboard doesn't make you a finish carpenter, it makes you a carpenter who installs baseboard, or a trim carpenter.

Last edited by Stilla; 10-28-2017 at 03:24 PM.
Stilla is offline  
Old 10-28-2017, 03:12 PM   #30
Pro
 
Dirtywhiteboy's Avatar
 
Trade: Home Framing- Roof Stacking
Join Date: Oct 2010
Location: Honolulu Oahu,Hawaii
Posts: 13,892
Rewards Points: 6,936

Re: Why Everyone Want Be A Finish Carpenter?


Quote:
Originally Posted by Stilla View Post
Anyone can claim they are finish carpenters. The next evolutionary step for a qualified finish carpenter, is lead carpenter, which equates to being the site super. Finish carpenter's have a broad spectrum of experiences. Installing baseboard doesn't make you a finish carpenter, it makes you a carpenter who installs baseboard.
I hate the term finish carpenter!

One thing thats all you can do??? Quit your fu*#in job and go get on the framing crew!! Go get one a dirt crew!!! Go put up siding for a few years.. Go hang 2 houses of door a day for a 7 months ,, go install 2 or 3 kitchens a day for a few years.
__________________
I Have Done So Much With So Little For So Long, I Can Do Almost Anything With Nothing Now
Dirtywhiteboy is online now  
Old 10-28-2017, 03:45 PM   #31
Pro
 
Stilla's Avatar
 
Trade: Finish carpentry
Join Date: Sep 2017
Posts: 126
Rewards Points: 422

Re: Why Everyone Want Be A Finish Carpenter?


Quote:
Originally Posted by Dirtywhiteboy View Post
I hate the term finish carpenter!

One thing thats all you can do??? Quit your fu*#in job and go get on the framing crew!! Go get one a dirt crew!!! Go put up siding for a few years.. Go hang 2 houses of door a day for a 7 months ,, go install 2 or 3 kitchens a day for a few years.
What makes you think all I do is trim, I stated and you replied to my blue skin house wrap by asking it it 3,4,or 5 inch lap. I do everything, finish carpentry isn't exclusive to the interior of a home. It Just means your pissed the county I work in is filthy rich.
Stilla is offline  
The Following User Says Thank You to Stilla For This Useful Post:
SmallTownGuy (10-28-2017)
Old 10-28-2017, 04:58 PM   #32
Pro
 
Stilla's Avatar
 
Trade: Finish carpentry
Join Date: Sep 2017
Posts: 126
Rewards Points: 422

Re: Why Everyone Want Be A Finish Carpenter?


Why everyone want be a finish carpenter?-img_20170415_122943319.jpg

Why everyone want be a finish carpenter?-img_20170512_155437614.jpg

Why everyone want be a finish carpenter?-img_20170323_160216593.jpg

I have built fences, decks and do light framing.
Stilla is offline  
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Stilla For This Useful Post:
SmallTownGuy (10-28-2017), Workingmanvan (10-28-2017)
Old 10-28-2017, 06:04 PM   #33
Pro
 
Workingmanvan's Avatar
 
Trade: Carpenter-Renovations/Repairs
Join Date: Feb 2017
Location: Vancouver BC
Posts: 108
Rewards Points: 256

Re: Why Everyone Want Be A Finish Carpenter?


Everyone has their preference. Some prefer to do the finishing work, which would often be indoors, cleaner and lighter work. But it also requires a bit more patience and attention to detail, some thrive off that, while others can't stand it.

A good framer will frame with the finishing in mind, and make things much easier for the finishing carpenter. A good finishing carpenter can work with badly framed or settled buildings, and make it look perfect.
Workingmanvan is offline  
The Following User Says Thank You to Workingmanvan For This Useful Post:
kirkdc (10-28-2017)
Old 10-28-2017, 06:04 PM   #34
Pro
 
Stilla's Avatar
 
Trade: Finish carpentry
Join Date: Sep 2017
Posts: 126
Rewards Points: 422

Re: Why Everyone Want Be A Finish Carpenter?


The Dirty you asked for kitchens, enjoy. Just to piss you off I'll let you know it's a spec home. Yes i did assemble the kitchen with my crew, as its a custom kitchen.
Attached Thumbnails
Why everyone want be a finish carpenter?-img_20161207_090909735.jpg  

Last edited by Stilla; 10-28-2017 at 06:20 PM.
Stilla is offline  
The Following User Says Thank You to Stilla For This Useful Post:
Californiadecks (10-28-2017)
Old 10-28-2017, 06:07 PM   #35
Pro
 
tipitop's Avatar
 
Trade: carpenter
Join Date: Dec 2013
Location: Minnesota
Posts: 896
Rewards Points: 2,635

Re: Why Everyone Want Be A Finish Carpenter?


Quote:
Originally Posted by Workingmanvan View Post
Everyone has their preference. Some prefer to do the finishing work, which would often be indoors, cleaner and lighter work. But it also requires a bit more patience and attention to detail, some thrive off that, while others can't stand it.

A good framer will frame with the finishing in mind, and make things much easier for the finishing carpenter. A good finishing carpenter can work with badly framed or settled buildings, and make it look perfect.
I would say best way is be framing&finish carpenter so you can control project from start to finish. I know where I need perfect level ceiling or walls for finished product. High end companies that I worked for do same, they all frame and trim.
tipitop is offline  
The Following User Says Thank You to tipitop For This Useful Post:
Workingmanvan (10-28-2017)
Old 10-28-2017, 06:24 PM   #36
Pro
 
Stilla's Avatar
 
Trade: Finish carpentry
Join Date: Sep 2017
Posts: 126
Rewards Points: 422

Re: Why Everyone Want Be A Finish Carpenter?


Would you like me to keep going on about what makes a finish carpenter, for dirty?

Last edited by Stilla; 10-28-2017 at 06:35 PM.
Stilla is offline  
Old 10-28-2017, 06:31 PM   #37
Pro
 
B.Johnson's Avatar
 
Trade: Builder
Join Date: Sep 2016
Location: Midwest
Posts: 439
Rewards Points: 58

Re: Why Everyone Want Be A Finish Carpenter?


I'm a trim carpenter, however I was born a painter.

My experience in painting includes residential, commercial and industrial. I've done everything from spraying acoustical (popcorn) ceilings, stained and lacquered miles of trim, thoroseal, two and three component epoxy, and dryfall in 80' high bays in factories. (The good stuff, not the new water based that you can't get a buzzzzz from. :-)

I've also formed footers, set pans for poured walls and finished flatwork including stamped concrete. I poured and polished my own concrete counter top. I've framed, installed vinyl and cement board siding. I've shingled and installed metal roofing. I've built pole barns and decks. I've hung wall paper, and installed ceramic tile. I've insulated walls with fiberglass, and attics with cellulose. I've installed sheet vinyl, click lock, and nail down pre-finished hardwood flooring. I helped grown men figure out residential electrical problems before I had a drivers license. I've framed with metal studs, hung and finished drywall, and installed hollow metal door frames. I've bought bare land and developed it.

My hobbies have always revolved around computers. When I was 16 I taught myself how to program in basic in a Vic-20. Then I taught myself machine language programming on a Commodore 64. In the more recent past I taught myself a scripting language called AutoHotKey. I've built my own desktop computers, repaired my laptop, and recently built my own UnRaid server. I run OpenElec on Raspberry Pi's for my media center.

The one thing that all of these have in common? You have to want to be willing to learn and work hard. You have to be willing to make mistakes. You have to be open to new ideas and new ways of doing things.

Why am I a trim carpenter? Trim is lighter than trusses. I don't deal with weather than can go from -20 to 100 degrees. I don't deal with working in rain, ice, mud, and snow. Not enough money in it? If I kept framing how long would my body last? I can probably trim for 15 more years. That's money in the bank.
__________________
Home Designer Series Software
B.Johnson is offline  
The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to B.Johnson For This Useful Post:
Jaws (11-04-2017), SmallTownGuy (10-28-2017), Stilla (10-28-2017)
Old 10-28-2017, 06:42 PM   #38
Pro
 
Stilla's Avatar
 
Trade: Finish carpentry
Join Date: Sep 2017
Posts: 126
Rewards Points: 422

Re: Why Everyone Want Be A Finish Carpenter?


Quote:
Originally Posted by tipitop View Post
I would say best way is be framing&finish carpenter so you can control project from start to finish. I know where I need perfect level ceiling or walls for finished product. High end companies that I worked for do same, they all frame and trim.
It is almost impossible to have a structure that the trim carpenters don't have to fudge. That's why high end home builders have there own crew to do the standing and running.

It constraints the labor and change orders.

Last edited by Stilla; 10-28-2017 at 06:46 PM.
Stilla is offline  
Old 10-28-2017, 08:01 PM   #39
Pro
 
Dirtywhiteboy's Avatar
 
Trade: Home Framing- Roof Stacking
Join Date: Oct 2010
Location: Honolulu Oahu,Hawaii
Posts: 13,892
Rewards Points: 6,936

Re: Why Everyone Want Be A Finish Carpenter?


Quote:
Originally Posted by Stilla View Post
The Dirty you asked for kitchens, enjoy. Just to piss you off I'll let you know it's a spec home. Yes i did assemble the kitchen with my crew, as its a custom kitchen.
Oh is that the house you got all the awards for??
I have more pics than you have time to look at,,,
Wow very nice... now what makes a carpenter???
I am a carpenter..
__________________
I Have Done So Much With So Little For So Long, I Can Do Almost Anything With Nothing Now
Dirtywhiteboy is online now  
Old 10-28-2017, 08:07 PM   #40
Pro
 
Dirtywhiteboy's Avatar
 
Trade: Home Framing- Roof Stacking
Join Date: Oct 2010
Location: Honolulu Oahu,Hawaii
Posts: 13,892
Rewards Points: 6,936

Re: Why Everyone Want Be A Finish Carpenter?


Quote:
Originally Posted by Stilla View Post
finish carpentry isn't exclusive to the interior of a home. It Just means your pissed the county I work in is filthy rich.
No I'm not pissed at all....After all there's no money here This is outside and I framed it and did the finish work also. Heck we even laid the ipe decking,,,
Attached Thumbnails
Why everyone want be a finish carpenter?-img_20160427_115926359_hdr.jpg  

Advertisement

__________________
I Have Done So Much With So Little For So Long, I Can Do Almost Anything With Nothing Now

Last edited by Dirtywhiteboy; 10-28-2017 at 08:10 PM.
Dirtywhiteboy is online now  
The Following User Says Thank You to Dirtywhiteboy For This Useful Post:
Tom Struble (10-29-2017)


Thread Tools Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search
Display Modes Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread:

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Trackbacks are Off
Pingbacks are Off
Refbacks are Off


Similar Threads
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
Bostich Cordless Angled Finish Nailer ? MF Custom Tools & Equipment 19 09-14-2012 11:08 PM
Craigslist finish carpenter Anti-wingnut General Discussion 21 03-29-2009 02:33 AM
How many guys you need to start a framing or finish carpenter crew CJ21 Framing 25 11-06-2008 11:19 AM
Quality Finish Carpenter available in LA CA area woodtradesman Help Wanted or Looking For Work 3 04-23-2008 01:12 PM

Join Now... It's Fast and FREE!

I am a professional contractor
I am a DIY Homeowner
Drywall Talk is for
PROFESSIONAL CONTRACTORS ONLY!

At DrywallTalk.com we cater exlusivly to professional contractors who make their living as a contractor. Knowing that many homeowners and DIYers are looking for a community to call home, we've created www.DIYChatroom.com DIY Chatroom is full of helpful advices and perfect for DIY homeowners.

Redirecing in 10 seconds
No Thanks
terms of service

Already Have an Account?