Oct 23 Finish carpenter kitchen bat" /> Why Everyone Want Be A Finish Carpenter? - General Discussion - Contractor Talk

Why Everyone Want Be A Finish Carpenter?

Old 10-24-2017, 12:00 AM   #1
Pro

Trade: carpenter
Rewards Points: 2,635

Why Everyone Want Be A Finish Carpenter?

I didn't visit creaglist.com for months and didn't post there for 8 months. Tried search "carpenter" and this is what I find -

<< < prev 1 - 100 / 100 next >
Oct 23 Finish carpenter kitchen bath cabinets wood flooring (Mpls st paul south and west suburbs)
Oct 23 Professional Trim Carpenter and Custom Cabinets ****AFFORDABLE **** (Mpls. / St. Paul / Metro)
Oct 22 Finish carpenter kitchen bath cabinets wood flooring (Mpls st paul south and west suburbs)
Oct 22 Experienced Carpenter Contractor (All locations)
Oct 21 New Construction Finish Carpenter Strohbehn Trim Carpentry LLC (Lakeville) Oct 20 Interior finish carpenter (anoka)
Oct 19 Trim Carpenter \ Custom Cabinets and design work
Oct 16 Trim and Finish Carpenter for hire ..... pic
Oct 14 Master Trim Carpenter for Hire (Twin Cities/W.WI)
Oct 13 Interior finish carpenter (anoka) map hide this posting

- funniest thing is I actually worked against a couple of them at different projects. Neither of them can cope nor cut univen lines with free hand at table saw. If all what I do would be trim - coping molding, installing doors and trimming stairs would feel like a idiot. Why is folks so interesting in that little trade.

To add because anyone want be it it come with talking who have longer. I just can not wrap my head about it.

Last edited by tipitop; 10-24-2017 at 12:03 AM.
The Following User Says Thank You to tipitop For This Useful Post:
Tom Struble (10-25-2017)

Warning: The topics covered on this site include activities in which there exists the potential for serious injury or death. ContractorTalk.com DOES NOT guarantee the accuracy or completeness of any information contained on this site. Always use proper safety precaution and reference reliable outside sources before attempting any construction or remodeling task!

Advertisement

Old 10-24-2017, 12:31 AM   #2
Pro

Trade: Contractor and Grunt
Rewards Points: 24

Re: Why Everyone Want Be A Finish Carpenter?

Quote:
Originally Posted by tipitop View Post
I didn't visit creaglist.com for months and didn't post there for 8 months. Tried search "carpenter" and this is what I find -

<< < prev 1 - 100 / 100 next >
Oct 23 Finish carpenter kitchen bath cabinets wood flooring (Mpls st paul south and west suburbs)
Oct 23 Professional Trim Carpenter and Custom Cabinets ****AFFORDABLE **** (Mpls. / St. Paul / Metro)
Oct 22 Finish carpenter kitchen bath cabinets wood flooring (Mpls st paul south and west suburbs)
Oct 21 New Construction Finish Carpenter Strohbehn Trim Carpentry LLC (Lakeville) Oct 20 Interior finish carpenter (anoka)

- funniest thing is I actually worked against a couple of them at different projects. Neither of them can cope nor cut univen lines with free hand at table saw. If all what I do would be trim - coping molding, installing doors and trimming stairs would feel like a idiot. Why is folks so interesting in that little trade.

To add because anyone want be it it come with talking who have longer. I just can not wrap my head about it.
2 words: Winter - Minnesota

Advertisement

The Following 7 Users Say Thank You to Big Johnson For This Useful Post:
B.Johnson (10-24-2017), Bull Trout (10-24-2017), Dirtywhiteboy (10-25-2017), hdavis (10-24-2017), Jaws (10-25-2017), Philament (10-25-2017), Rio (10-24-2017)
Old 10-24-2017, 02:57 PM   #3

Trade: General Contractor

Quote:
Originally Posted by Big Johnson View Post
Quote:

2 words: Winter - Minnesota

This

Old 10-24-2017, 05:40 PM   #4
Geometrist

Trade: framing/remodeling
Rewards Points: 6,045

Until Mike gets here to translate, I really can't comment on this.

Easy Gibson
The Following 8 Users Say Thank You to Warren For This Useful Post:
Californiadecks (10-25-2017), Frank Castle (10-24-2017), illbuildit.dd (11-07-2017), Irishslave (10-24-2017), pinwheel (10-25-2017), Seven-Delta-FortyOne (10-25-2017), SmallTownGuy (10-24-2017), TxElectrician (10-24-2017)
Old 10-24-2017, 09:15 PM   #5
New Guy

Trade: Deck building

Because finish carpentry is the pinicle of the carpentry trade. It also pays good and a 16' stick of crown is a lot lighter then a stack of studs and a sheet of plywood is easier to handle then a 24' power beam.
I am a firm believer that specialized trade is the way to go and that if you stick to one or two things you can be better and faster then your competitors. Better+faster=$$$$

I used to do a lot of trim when I got out of high school. I made pretty good money advertising crown mold on Craigslist for 1.99 lf for 8' walls. I bought the crown for $0.48 lf. I would by 500 feet at a time and store it in my garage. my typical job was 2-300 feet. I could install it in 3-4 hours and pocket a few hundred bucks. I did 2 or 3 of these a week along with the track homes I was trimming by the hour for another guy. Not bad for a 18 year old kid.

Trim really made me a better deck carpenter. I believe it gave me an edge over some of my competitors that started out as framers. I now specialize in custom Decks only because it is easier to train a guy to build a deck then it is to to train him to build a custom set of cabinets. I never intended to be a one man show, but if I did it would definitely be trim and cabinets.
The Following User Says Thank You to Houstondeck For This Useful Post:
kirkdc (10-28-2017)
Old 10-24-2017, 10:11 PM   #6
Pro

Trade: Carpenter
Rewards Points: 236

Because it's cool and it will get you the chicks.
Big Johnson (10-25-2017), Bull Trout (10-25-2017), Dirtywhiteboy (10-25-2017), Jaws (10-25-2017), pinwheel (10-25-2017), SmallTownGuy (10-25-2017)
Old 10-25-2017, 12:08 AM   #7
The Sheriff

Trade: GC
Rewards Points: 346

Quote:
Originally Posted by Houstondeck View Post
Because finish carpentry is the pinicle of the carpentry trade. It also pays good and a 16' stick of crown is a lot lighter then a stack of studs and a sheet of plywood is easier to handle then a 24' power beam.
I am a firm believer that specialized trade is the way to go and that if you stick to one or two things you can be better and faster then your competitors. Better+faster=$$$$

I used to do a lot of trim when I got out of high school. I made pretty good money advertising crown mold on Craigslist for 1.99 lf for 8' walls. I bought the crown for $0.48 lf. I would by 500 feet at a time and store it in my garage. my typical job was 2-300 feet. I could install it in 3-4 hours and pocket a few hundred bucks. I did 2 or 3 of these a week along with the track homes I was trimming by the hour for another guy. Not bad for a 18 year old kid.

Trim really made me a better deck carpenter. I believe it gave me an edge over some of my competitors that started out as framers. I now specialize in custom Decks only because it is easier to train a guy to build a deck then it is to to train him to build a custom set of cabinets. I never intended to be a one man show, but if I did it would definitely be trim and cabinets.
We do some pretty custom stuff but when the crew/job is well.run I make more money framing, unless you add cabinets in with trim. We have a cabinet shop and if you add GP from trim/cabinets it's close.

John
The Following User Says Thank You to Jaws For This Useful Post:
Big Johnson (10-25-2017)
Old 10-25-2017, 12:59 AM   #8
Pro

Trade: Home Framing- Roof Stacking
Rewards Points: 6,926

Quote:
Originally Posted by Warren View Post

Until Mike gets here to translate, I really can't comment on this.
We have a lot of this here, it's called pigeon. I'm used to it. It's broken English and often mixed with other languages. If you came here to work they would make funn and have fun with you for a while till you picked it up. If you're really lucky they might share their balut with you It's a big world out there.. go and work in a foreign country even if you can speak their language a bit it's very hard!
Tipi is a trooper
Oh you might have a hard time at a drive through window,,,,

Last edited by Dirtywhiteboy; 10-25-2017 at 01:11 AM.
The Following User Says Thank You to Dirtywhiteboy For This Useful Post:
natural1 (10-25-2017)
Old 10-25-2017, 05:30 AM   #9
John the Builder

Trade: Carpenter/Builder
Rewards Points: 5,822

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dirtywhiteboy View Post
We have a lot of this here, it's called pigeon. I'm used to it. It's broken English and often mixed with other languages. If you came here to work they would make funn and have fun with you for a while till you picked it up. If you're really lucky they might share their balut with you It's a big world out there.. go and work in a foreign country even if you can speak their language a bit it's very hard!
Tipi is a trooper
Tipi is a lazy turd. Go back to his earliest posts. His command of English is is on par with yours.

You are being played.

http://www.contractortalk.com/f14/ra...0/#post3313329
Quote:
This sill plate at bottom of door is perfect example of my way. Most guys just pull old door out and put new one and put shims and foam between sill plate and bottom plate of new door. I never do...
Old 10-25-2017, 05:33 AM   #10
John the Builder

Trade: Carpenter/Builder
Rewards Points: 5,822

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dirtywhiteboy View Post
Tipi is a trooper
and its called "pidgin"...

This is a pigeon:
Attached Images

The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to SmallTownGuy For This Useful Post:
Big Johnson (10-25-2017), ScipioAfricanus (10-25-2017)
Old 10-25-2017, 08:34 AM   #11
Pro

Trade: Contractor and Grunt

Quote:
Originally Posted by SmallTownGuy View Post

This is a pigeon:
I thought it was called Creole.
The Following User Says Thank You to Big Johnson For This Useful Post:
SmallTownGuy (10-25-2017)
Old 10-25-2017, 11:42 AM   #12
Pro

Quote:
Tipi is a lazy turd. Go back to his earliest posts. His command of English is is on par with yours.

You are being played.

http://www.contractortalk.com/f14/ra...0/#post3313329
You don't get it,,,

Quote:

This is a pigeon:
Oh you really don't get it..
natural1 (10-25-2017)
Old 10-25-2017, 04:24 PM   #13
The Sheriff

Trade: GC
Rewards Points: 346

Everybody probably has a preference one way or another, but I noticed that a lot of guys either really like framing, siding excetera or really like trim cabinets built ins and Specialty work. I can always see some people are not happy about what they are doing even if they're good at it, usually when finish guys are ass to frame or form something. LOL

John
The Following User Says Thank You to Jaws For This Useful Post:
tipitop (10-27-2017)
Old 10-25-2017, 05:43 PM   #14
GC/carpenter

Trade: Decking, Railing, Carpenter/General Contractor
Rewards Points: 672

Quote:

prev 1 - 100 / 100 next >

Okay, I got this!

Quote:
I haven't been on Craigslist.com in 8 months. Did a quick search of "Carpenter" and here's the results.

prev 1 - 100 / 100 next >

Oct 13 Interior finish carpenter (anoka) the map hid this posting.

Funny thing is, I've actually worked along side these guys, they can't cope, or cut lines other than straight on the tablesaw. If the only thing I did was trim, coping, trimming out stairs, and hanging doors, I'd feel like an idiot. Why would anyone want to specialize in just finish carpentry.

To add if anyone wants to be a finish carpenter, it comes with more than just stating your experience. I just can't wrap my head around it.

Mike.
Old 10-25-2017, 05:59 PM   #15
Pro

Trade: siding
Rewards Points: 2

i specialize in siding..i'm an idiot,but a happy one
Californiadecks (10-25-2017), Dirtywhiteboy (10-25-2017)
Old 10-25-2017, 06:36 PM   #16
Pro

Trade: carpentry
Rewards Points: 187

I get to do a little of a lot of things, will never master one.

Fairly happy, total idiot.

And my level of happiness usually depends on the $$$.
Old 10-25-2017, 10:59 PM   #17
Pro or somethin'...

Trade: Tinwoodman
Rewards Points: 1,142

Quote:
I was thinking "Americanese"

O dear, I probably opened a can of worms there...
Old 10-25-2017, 11:41 PM   #18
Pro

Quote:
Quote:
Originally Posted by Anthill View Post
I was thinking "Americanese"

O dear, I probably opened a can of worms there...
Creole has something to do with being mixed with french. Down in the poor parts of the Caribbean they speak creole that is frenck, spanish and some others mixed in there. I saw a guy working in Lowes from Haiti and gave him a greeting in Creole he was shocked
Old 10-26-2017, 12:41 AM   #19

Trade: Remodeling
Rewards Points: 112

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tashler View Post
I get to do a little of a lot of things, will never master one....
Copy That.
Old 10-26-2017, 12:48 AM   #20
Pro

I always wanted to be a finish carpenter so I could use one of those cute little light finish guns.

Advertisement

Tom Struble (10-26-2017)