What Is Solution For Thermal Insulating Of Exterior Walls With Sheetrock On?

Old 01-13-2018, 10:41 AM   #1
Pro

Trade: carpenter
Rewards Points: 3,329

What Is Solution For Thermal Insulating Of Exterior Walls With Sheetrock On?

It is probably question that I'm asked most not only at job sites than in bars. I know in one case before 13 years guy called foam guys. They drill small hole every two feet vertically and every 16" horizontally (between studs). Then with small nozzle they throw foam in. I remember that it regard insulation worked excellent as I was at that same project over entire winter.
Now my question if that work, and seem to me it work (can be wrong) why other people allow itself to live in non insulated houses in MN?
Edit to be sure I mean sheetrock on the walls from inside in house.

Warning: The topics covered on this site include activities in which there exists the potential for serious injury or death. ContractorTalk.com DOES NOT guarantee the accuracy or completeness of any information contained on this site. Always use proper safety precaution and reference reliable outside sources before attempting any construction or remodeling task!

Advertisement

Old 01-13-2018, 11:21 AM   #2
Eater of sins.

Trade: Designer/Drafter Extraordinaire
Rewards Points: 1,038

Re: What Is Solution For Thermal Insulating Of Exterior Walls With Sheetrock On?

To answer your question about "why" people don't spray foam the interior of the walls, all I can say is that they have made the decision that the cost of install is greater than they will recoup in energy prices and comfort level over time.
I don't know if they are right or not but they are right for themselves.

Andy.

Advertisement

Old 01-13-2018, 11:21 AM   #3
Pro

Trade: mason
Rewards Points: 8,830

Re: What Is Solution For Thermal Insulating Of Exterior Walls With Sheetrock On?

Instead of foam,possibly dense pack cellulose would be a better alternative.The foam may cause moisture build up problems.

The current issue of FHB magazine just covered dense pack,although it was for new construction.

Old 01-13-2018, 11:29 AM   #4
edward trowelhands

Trade: Diplomat
Rewards Points: 4,198

Different climate in MN, but here I encounter dense pack cellulose installed from the exterior. I have yet to find moisture issues caused by it. It's fairly affordable too.

I've also seen foam, and it had more voids than the cellulose.
Old 01-13-2018, 11:53 AM   #5
Pro

Trade: carpenter
Rewards Points: 3,329

Quote:
Originally Posted by Golden view View Post
Different climate in MN, but here I encounter dense pack cellulose installed from the exterior. I have yet to find moisture issues caused by it. It's fairly affordable too.

I've also seen foam, and it had more voids than the cellulose.
You said cellulose installed from exterior. But it go up to only 2". Foam inside walls go to 3,5" even more for 2X6 and need not siding off. Above is good call about moisture issue as plastic cover is not applied from inside like when new wall is covered.
I see people freezing in houses all time when they call me to see some project. No surprise as there is virtually nothing in the walls of houses that are build in 60ties and down. Of course except asbestos insulation that transformed to (cancerogen) dust.
Old 01-13-2018, 11:57 AM   #6
edward trowelhands

Trade: Diplomat
Rewards Points: 4,198

Quote:
Originally Posted by tipitop View Post
You said cellulose installed from exterior. But it go up to only 2". Foam inside walls go to 3,5" even more for 2X6 and need not siding off. Above is good call about moisture issue as plastic cover is not applied from inside like when new wall is covered.
I see people freezing in houses all time when they call me to see some project. No surprise as there is virtually nothing in the walls of houses that are build in 60ties and down. Of course except asbestos insulation that transformed to (cancerogen) dust.
Cellulose, like paper fiber. Any thickness. I've even seen 24" thick walls with it blown in.
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Golden view For This Useful Post:
fjn (01-13-2018), tipitop (01-14-2018)
Old 01-13-2018, 03:55 PM   #7
Sean

Trade: Principal / Owner
Rewards Points: 62

I dare say because said injected foam shrinks & leaves gaps later... now if you want to remove siding & sheathing then apply it properly or else go with dense-packed cellulose & verify with thermal camera
Insrepair (01-21-2018), Philament (01-13-2018)
Old 01-13-2018, 07:28 PM   #8
Pro

Trade: remodeling
Rewards Points: 7,097

Dense pack drill and fill cellulose, either from the inside or outside. It's fast, fairly cheap, and it can be done with the house occupied if done from the outside.

Check sheetrock attachment first, and fix any problem areas.
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to hdavis For This Useful Post:
fjn (01-13-2018), tipitop (01-14-2018)
Old 01-13-2018, 07:30 PM   #9
Pro

Trade: remodeling
Rewards Points: 7,097

If there is knob and tube in the walls, those areas can't be insulated at all.
Old 01-14-2018, 10:29 PM   #10
EVIL GENIUS

Trade: General Contractor, electrical, fabrication, & wel
Rewards Points: 4,892
Send a message via AIM to Michaeljp86

My house is 2 story balloon framed so I got in the attic and on the gabled ends put the hose right down the wall to the foundations and filled it with cellulose. the other walls I drilled through the drywall.

Global warming is a myth, like evolution and the metric system.
U.S. Coast Guard
Old 01-15-2018, 07:09 AM   #11
Sean

Trade: Principal / Owner
Rewards Points: 62

To add on to HDavis excellent comment, if there is any water issues you also should not blow in any insulation till that is fixed along with removing any knob & tube. If you have aluminum wiring - also no foam

Advertisement