What Is The Set Time Of Liquid Nails?

Old 11-15-2010, 03:25 PM   #1
Pro

Trade: floor leveling
Rewards Points: 150

What Is The Set Time Of Liquid Nails?

Using Liquid Nails (interior product version) and wondering what is the full drying time? Also, using it to bond a cracked plastic kitchen drawer guide together and partially to to wood drawer back. I formed a generous amount all over and around the bracket to bridge and bind the thing- should it hold?

I know, should have simply bought a new plastic guide but thought I would try this first as it is my own place, not a client and had the stuff on hand.

Thanks for any info....

Warning: The topics covered on this site include activities in which there exists the potential for serious injury or death. ContractorTalk.com DOES NOT guarantee the accuracy or completeness of any information contained on this site. Always use proper safety precaution and reference reliable outside sources before attempting any construction or remodeling task!

Old 11-15-2010, 03:30 PM   #2
Average Joe

Trade: Design/Build
Rewards Points: 506

Re: What Is The Set Time Of Liquid Nails?

http://www.liquidnails.com/index.jsp

Old 11-15-2010, 05:27 PM   #3
Pro

Trade: Construction
Rewards Points: 4,052

I find that it take about 2 days before it's got any type of proper hold. That's in about 60f temps.
Old 11-15-2010, 09:19 PM   #4
chief pencil holder

Trade: Custom Cabinet Maker, Handrail
Rewards Points: 1,000

2 -3 days, no it will not work.
http://sacramentomillworks.com
Old 11-15-2010, 11:03 PM   #5
TKO-TotalKitchenObsessed

Trade: Kitchen and bath design
Rewards Points: 502

First I have to say that silly plastic drawer guide piece can't cost but a dollar and even the cheapest tube of Liquid Nails cost about $1.65 I'd say that's a no brainer.

I use liquid nails heavily in our business. I insist all my installers put dabs behind the toe skin as well as fingering a dab behind each crown miter after it's been properly nailed. If we are skinning the side of anything, liquid nails will be used. We buy it in bulk and supply it to our installers so they have nothing to complain about.

I don't care what the product advertises on the label. A dab applied and not covered by wood will dry to a skin in 30 minutes and take about a day and a half to 2 days to cure hard.

The proper way to apply wood to wood without real nails and using Liquid Nails is the following. Put your bead on the 2 pieces of wood to be joined. put them together, squeeze and rub them together if possible. Now most important....pull them back apart and wait one minute. This gives the Liquid Nail a chance to activate a chemical reaction which makes it very sticky and will cure faster. Now put the wood pieces together and you will find they stick so well that you can not pull them back apart.

If done properly, we put skins on cabinet sides using no pin nails. If the skin has a warp we will use minimal pin nailing.

Last edited by Jimmy Cabinet; 11-15-2010 at 11:06 PM.

Tags
liquid nails