Union Vs Non Union Workers

Old 10-24-2007, 08:07 PM   #1
Three Rivers Services LLC

Trade: General Contractor

Union Vs Non Union Workers

Before I start ranting, I will all let you know I was once a Union Carpenter..

I am a GC and on the end build of a retail remodel. My None-Union Electrician had been working hard to bring up this store to code. Called in for a cover inspection and we fail do to existing wiring that had nothing to do with our build. No big deal.

I get with the management company and explain to them what had transpired. Again no big deal.

They call out their preferred "Union" Electrical company and start to correct all their wiring. Again No big deal!

Then all hell breaks loose!!!!!

What the "F" are these union electricians doing????? Rather then doing the work they were called out on all they wanted to do was bash on the non-union electricians on site!

So I get to the job site and ask everyone whats going on and this union guy proceeds to lecture me on not using a union shop and how all non-union guys are all hack workers bla bla bla.

I had to put this guy in his place and kick him of the job site. The Building Management calls me up and tells me I can't do that. " We subbed out that company,bla bla bla, and I had no right to kick them out of the retail store.

The next day, I met with the Electrical Inspector. Failed again on the cover inspection. So I asked the Inspector to point out the area that need to be corrected. Sure enough it was in the area the Union Guy was working at.

It's all fixed up and the build has been completed but it still astonishes me about Union Employees.

Warning: The topics covered on this site include activities in which there exists the potential for serious injury or death. ContractorTalk.com DOES NOT guarantee the accuracy or completeness of any information contained on this site. Always use proper safety precaution and reference reliable outside sources before attempting any construction or remodeling task!

Old 10-24-2007, 08:28 PM   #2
Service & Repairs

Trade: Electrician

Re: Union Vs Non Union Workers

Fortuneatly not all union workers are jerks. But some are. This discussions been had before. There is good and bad in all walks of life, union or not.

And labeling a worker a hack just because he's non-union is uncalled for every bit as much as a non-union worker calling the union guy a lazy blank. In the end you get what you pay for (most of the time).

Old 10-24-2007, 08:32 PM   #3
The Grand Wazoo

Trade: It blowed up real good!

So you are going to paint all union workers with a broad brush based on a bad experience?
Old 10-24-2007, 08:35 PM   #4

All so true. I wish guys would just respect one another on job sites. It's a bitch being a GC. I need a drink!
Old 10-24-2007, 08:37 PM   #5

Quote:
Originally Posted by KillerToiletSpi View Post
So you are going to paint all union workers with a broad brush based on a bad experience?
Absolutely not. It just makes my Job harder when jerks come out like that.
Old 10-24-2007, 08:39 PM   #6
The Grand Wazoo

Trade: It blowed up real good!

Quote:
Originally Posted by aWorkaHolic View Post
All so true. I wish guys would just respect one another on job sites. It's a bitch being a GC. I need a drink!
On about half of our jobs, we are the only union sub, and the only union trade on the job, and I get no complaints from the GC's about the quality of work.
Old 10-24-2007, 08:45 PM   #7

Thats great Killer. I've used union shops allot and never had any issues. I'm just thinking that this particular guy was either a failed contractor or was green.
Old 10-24-2007, 10:34 PM   #8
David Davis

Trade: ? No thanks, I like mine better!

I've known a lot more non-union carpenters than union carpenters. Of the non-union carpenters, most have been relatively talented carpenters. Of the union carpenters, most are overrated form setters that couldn't tell you what the difference between a shaper and a joiner. Not to say that there are no talented union carpenters, but from my recollection, the odds are stacked against non-union. I don't know about any other trades, well, except Automotive, and non-union was far better than UAW in that case. I guess that union, while being paid a good wage, do more production type repetitive work, while in situations that I am familiar with, the non-union worker uses more improvisation skills....Although, most union production work is being outsourced nowadays anyhow.

I should add that manufactured housing is produced by union workers, while most residential is non-union.

The reason that I think this is not because a union worker isn't necessarily less capable than non-union, but more because of what is expected out of each. A union worker might be required to do a certain job, and if asked to do another, he could say "That isn't my job", whereas, a non-union worker would be fired for saying such a thing. So basically, union workers know what they know, and they know it quite well, whereas, non-union workers know what they know, and a lot of things they shouldn't know.

Last edited by shed-n-deck; 10-24-2007 at 10:42 PM.
Old 10-24-2007, 10:57 PM   #9
Priced In

Trade: Exiled For Life

Last edited by JustaFramer; 10-24-2010 at 09:38 PM.
Old 10-24-2007, 11:07 PM   #10
Priced In

Last edited by JustaFramer; 10-24-2010 at 09:38 PM.
Old 10-24-2007, 11:14 PM   #11
David Davis

Quote:
Originally Posted by JustaFramer View Post
You don't improvise a job when it is spec'd the way a architect draws it.
And how often does that work out?

Quote:
The reason "they say I don't do it" is because that is another trades job. There are agreements between the trade unions as who does what.
Obviously that's not the case. I have seen a form setter turn down a job that required him to set temporary footings...He wouldn't do it.

Now I am not intending on offending anyone, I'm only expressing what I have noted.
Old 10-24-2007, 11:24 PM   #12
Priced In

Last edited by JustaFramer; 10-24-2010 at 09:39 PM.
Old 10-24-2007, 11:38 PM   #13
Pro

Trade: Squirrel Handler

Quote:
Originally Posted by aWorkaHolic View Post
Before I start ranting, I will all let you know I was once a Union Carpenter..

I am a GC and on the end build of a retail remodel. My None-Union Electrician had been working hard to bring up this store to code. Called in for a cover inspection and we fail do to existing wiring that had nothing to do with our build. No big deal.

I get with the management company and explain to them what had transpired. Again no big deal.

They call out their preferred "Union" Electrical company and start to correct all their wiring. Again No big deal!

Then all hell breaks loose!!!!!

What the "F" are these union electricians doing????? Rather then doing the work they were called out on all they wanted to do was bash on the non-union electricians on site!

So I get to the job site and ask everyone whats going on and this union guy proceeds to lecture me on not using a union shop and how all non-union guys are all hack workers bla bla bla.

I had to put this guy in his place and kick him of the job site. The Building Management calls me up and tells me I can't do that. " We subbed out that company,bla bla bla, and I had no right to kick them out of the retail store.

The next day, I met with the Electrical Inspector. Failed again on the cover inspection. So I asked the Inspector to point out the area that need to be corrected. Sure enough it was in the area the Union Guy was working at.

It's all fixed up and the build has been completed but it still astonishes me about Union Employees.
You should have used a non-union electrician.
Old 10-24-2007, 11:39 PM   #14
Pro

Trade: Squirrel Handler

Quote:
So one guy starts the non-union vs union.

I have a similar problem with a non-union excavation company. That tried telling me that I needed to make eye contact with the skid steer operator. I told the mfer that if he wants to drive a skid steer in the building he better ****ing put up danger tape and candle sticks where he he is driving.
Plus I had high vis on.
You should have used a union excavation company.
Old 10-24-2007, 11:45 PM   #15

Quote:
Originally Posted by mickeyco View Post
You should have used a non-union electrician.
I was the one that subbed the "Non-Union" company. The property management company brought in the union shop to bring the rest of the "Pre-Existing" wiring to code.
Old 10-24-2007, 11:49 PM   #16
David Davis

Quote:
May be the formsetter didn't want the job. I don't know I don't just frame or set forms. I look for the remodel/renovation jobs.
Me too...Maybe I was too quick to whip the tongue, and if I offended you, I apologize...That wasn't my intention. It's just my opinion as of yet, and as an opinion, it can be changed...
Old 10-25-2007, 12:40 AM   #17
General Contractor

The unions again Never met one I liked. Buncha whiners. If they could get a real job they should - they can't....
Old 10-25-2007, 07:54 AM   #18
Pro

Trade: decks

Quote:
Originally Posted by nadonailer View Post
The unions again Never met one I liked. Buncha whiners. If they could get a real job they should - they can't....
stole my thoughts, addiitonally all they care about is plastering thier hardhats with stickers, some kind of badge of honor or something

Last edited by Bone Saw; 10-25-2007 at 07:41 PM.
Old 10-25-2007, 08:30 AM   #19
Custom Builder

Trade: From dirt to ridge vent
Send a message via AIM to Glasshousebltr Send a message via Yahoo to Glasshousebltr

Anytime ya let the monkey drive the car expect to crash ......Union or not.
Old 10-25-2007, 08:33 AM   #20
Priced In

Last edited by JustaFramer; 10-24-2010 at 09:40 PM.