Tips For Success, What To Expect

Old 11-06-2017, 11:06 PM   #1

Trade: Painting
Rewards Points: 28

Tips For Success, What To Expect

Forgive me if I'm in the wrong place, but I just don't know where else on the internet I can ask.

So an opportunity landed in my lap. I was recently laid off (employer lost the contract) and I needed work. A good friend of mine, who is a paint contractor, called and long story short, he needs someone to drive his van. He said he'll employ me and teach me to paint if I can do it. I said heck yes.

I've never painted anything in my life. I'm new to construction in general. In my preparation, I found the Idaho Painter on youtube (love that guy), and I've been watching his vids getting psyched. It would be cool to learn a trade that would pay a decent wage.

I love and respect my friend a lot, and I want to do a good job and be successful. What are some tips for being successful in this industry? Obviously I'm going to work my butt off and give it everything that I have. Is there anything else I need to know?

Warning: The topics covered on this site include activities in which there exists the potential for serious injury or death. ContractorTalk.com DOES NOT guarantee the accuracy or completeness of any information contained on this site. Always use proper safety precaution and reference reliable outside sources before attempting any construction or remodeling task!

Advertisement

Old 11-07-2017, 06:05 AM   #2
John the Builder

Trade: Carpenter/Builder
Rewards Points: 5,844

Re: Tips For Success, What To Expect

Quote:
Originally Posted by BasinEMT View Post
....What are some tips for being successful in this industry? Obviously I'm going to work my butt off and give it everything that I have. Is there anything else I need to know?
Listen, understand, and follow what your friend says.

It doesn't get any deeper than that.

Advertisement

Old 11-07-2017, 07:56 AM   #3
This space for lease

Trade: General
Rewards Points: 16,626

I'd follow the boss' lead and forget youtube. I don't know the guy you refer too, maybe he's great but there's a lot of bad information on there too, anyone can upload a video and many want to be overnight sensations, and get rich in the process. More importantly, he won't be the one signing your check.

Painting isn't rocket science but it is a craft. If your friend is successful he already knows what works and how to make it happen and wants you to do it that way.

Old 11-07-2017, 12:28 PM   #4

Trade: Remodel contractor
Rewards Points: 37

Show up on time!,,,or a little early. Unimpaired, or sick from the night before. Listen and fallow instruction. Let the boss train you, and do it his way. Employees make or break a company, and good one are hard to find.
Old 11-07-2017, 01:41 PM   #5

Trade: Roofing
Rewards Points: 6

Congrats on the great news! Funny how things work out sometimes!

Unlike the other response in here, I would suggest looking at videos on youtube. Just to get a good idea of what to expect so you're a bit ahead of the game before you even start!

You could also pick up a book about painting at your local bookstore.

As mentioned above, be on time, ready to learn, listen carefully, work extremely hard, and ask questions if you're unsure about anything!

Goodluck!

Last edited by LoddeRoofing; 11-07-2017 at 01:43 PM.
Old 11-07-2017, 01:46 PM   #6
Pro

Trade: Remodeling
Rewards Points: 2,390

Don't think I ever met anyone excited to become a painter. Most people I know fell into it and never get really good at it, I can count on one hand in over 40 years the painters I would use on my jobs. Being able to paint and being able to paint professionally are totally different. You'll either have the potential to do it or you won't.

If you're really good you can make a decent living but I wouldn't get too excited keep your expectations low, listen and learn. Haven't a clue what type of jobs your friend does but beginners are usually put on apartment type projects most painters aren't good enough to advance much beyond that type of work.

You can learn all the tips and tricks but the "art" of painting in my opinion can't be taught. I don't know how many so called professional painters can't paint without masking tape...that's not an "art".

This industry needs good young willing people so I'll wish both you and your friend the best of luck.
Old 11-07-2017, 05:32 PM   #7

Awesome! Thanks guys!
Old 11-07-2017, 05:47 PM   #8

Quote:
Originally Posted by avenge View Post
Don't think I ever met anyone excited to become a painter. Most people I know fell into it and never get really good at it, I can count on one hand in over 40 years the painters I would use on my jobs. Being able to paint and being able to paint professionally are totally different. You'll either have the potential to do it or you won't.

If you're really good you can make a decent living but I wouldn't get too excited keep your expectations low, listen and learn. Haven't a clue what type of jobs your friend does but beginners are usually put on apartment type projects most painters aren't good enough to advance much beyond that type of work.

You can learn all the tips and tricks but the "art" of painting in my opinion can't be taught. I don't know how many so called professional painters can't paint without masking tape...that's not an "art".

This industry needs good young willing people so I'll wish both you and your friend the best of luck.
Thanks for the insight. I've known a few painters, one I knew made 26/hr, the other had been painting 10 years and made like 16.

It really seems to vary.

I've looked into the work via Youtube, it seems pretty straight forward. What makes a good painter vs a bad painter?
Old 11-08-2017, 02:01 AM   #9
Pro

Trade: Carpenter-Renovations/Repairs
Rewards Points: 256

A good painter will have a good knowledge of different products, proper applications and methods, including spraying, fine finishing, etc. The ability to produce quality work in a timely manner, efficiently. Proper wall prep/ repairs, cut ins, just an overall quality job. Like most other trades that are cosmetic, it is the little details that make a difference between an OK paint job, and a good paint job. Such as cleaning/sanding walls, etc.

I agree with the above poster. There are a lot of painters out there who just ended up doing it for a job, and do it for a steady paycheck. Those that have an actual passion to do a top notch job, and strive to do it, are more rare, and are usually those working for themselves.

If you want to do it for a career, you probably want to work towards working for yourself, or find a company that does high end work, and compensates skilled quality employees accordingly. Hopefully that is your friends company. In terms of trades, painting is not one of the better paying ones, in general, as unfortunately the barrier to entry is low, and there are a lot of semi-skilled painters out there, saturating the market. It can pay decently if you get into higher end work, where people will pay for quality. That or build a business and make good money from volume. It is something that if you get skilled at, and get a reputation for hard work and quality work, you can always pick up work somewhere.

Good luck, doing it for awhile will give you a chance to decide if you want to get into it long term.
Old 11-08-2017, 01:16 PM   #10
Kitchen Cabinets NJ

Trade: Kitchen Cabinets
Rewards Points: 454

I believe following your friend's instructions, always showing up on time, and showing good will to learn and improve even when you think you know a lot, are the most important imperatives. I would consult your friend about what YouTube videos to watch, or maybe he knows about some other resources from which you could learn.
Old 11-08-2017, 01:39 PM   #11
"Username" T. - Always Pr

Trade: Always Preferred - www.wedefineclean.net
Rewards Points: 34

hello buddy. you just need to follow the instructions of your friend. and do some homework
Old 11-08-2017, 08:34 PM   #12
Pro

Trade: Painting and wallpaper
Rewards Points: 2,030

Be prepared for the work to be more involved than you are expecting. The painting is the easy bit. The majority of the work (without knowing what your area of painting will be) is by far labor intensive prep work.
If that is not the case then it will be high production painting.
As already said listen to how your boss wants things done, just that simple, get good then get better, speed will come.
My final suggestion is learn to take satisfaction in a quality paint job and the work will never get old. Good luck.
Old 11-13-2017, 11:23 PM   #13

Thanks guys! Much appreciated!
Old 11-13-2017, 11:52 PM   #14
Pro

Trade: electrical
Rewards Points: 229

Be on time.

Be eager to learn but patient. New green guys are gonna probably get treated like young apprentices and get alot of crap tasks and work. You show u are proficient in the monkey tasks then you'll typically get shown skills higher up on the totem pole.

Painting is all prep. Cleaning. Sanding. Cleaning. Etc. Proper prep will lead almost always to great success.

While YouTube is great, your friend probably has a system with certain tasks and materials that work for him. Don't try and be a hero with some rogue materials or procedures.

Wear proper work clothes. some crews wear whites some don't.

Stay off your phone. Definitely bring a lunch on day one. After that go with the flow.

If it's an occupied home I ways pee sitting down so I'm not splashing their toilet or wall. Make fun all you want.

Ask good questions. If you don't fully understand a given task, ask. But don't ask the same thing day after day. If someone takes the time to.show you pay attention. Try to learn so you can think and anticipate the sequence of events. But seriously ask. Nothing worse then giving someone direction only to come back.and find that it's done all wrong. Wrong color, wrong room, wrong acceptable finish, wrong product used etc.

Leave your feelings at home.

Last edited by saynever; 11-13-2017 at 11:55 PM.
Old 11-13-2017, 11:52 PM   #15

I can definitely see myself getting into this. The whole construction and remodeling process is something that I could have passion for. I seem to be picking up on the skills fairly quick too. I'm getting a pretty good idea on the process and have no problem with the prep work (you're right, lots of prep work).

My friend is a little.... burnt out, it seems. He doesn't seem very motivated to find work, so it's been very sporadic. It also doesn't help that it's November. There's a local union that offers apprenticeships. Think I might go that route. I don't want to be "semi-skilled." I want to be the best I can be.
Old 11-13-2017, 11:56 PM   #16

Quote:
Originally Posted by saynever View Post

Leave your feelings at home.
Excellent advice. I used to be, early in my work career, kind of sensitive. Had to grow out of that pretty quick. We have a job to do. My feelings come last if they come at all.
The Following User Says Thank You to BasinEMT For This Useful Post:
heavy_d (11-14-2017)
Old 11-14-2017, 06:22 AM   #17
Pro

Trade: Painting and wallpaper
Rewards Points: 2,030

Fv<k feelings.
Old 11-14-2017, 01:51 PM   #18

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ohio painter View Post
Fv<k feelings.
Indeed Thanks for the wisdom good sir. You and those who replied are much appreciated.

Advertisement