Tile Install Price

Old 09-06-2007, 11:44 PM   #1

Trade: Salesman
Rewards Points: 10

Tile Install Price

What is going rate for ceramic tile per sq/ft install in new home. On concrete. On floor only. Regular grout. 18x18 tiles supplied. Labor only. What average price do you charge a general contractor? Estimate only, don't have to be specific.

Warning: The topics covered on this site include activities in which there exists the potential for serious injury or death. ContractorTalk.com DOES NOT guarantee the accuracy or completeness of any information contained on this site. Always use proper safety precaution and reference reliable outside sources before attempting any construction or remodeling task!

Advertisement

Old 09-07-2007, 12:07 AM   #2
Pro

Trade: Wood working in spare time.
Rewards Points: 1,000

Re: Tile Install Price

Quote:
Originally Posted by Fetam View Post
What is going rate for ceramic tile per sq/ft install in new home. On concrete. On floor only. Regular grout. 18x18 tiles supplied. Labor only. What average price do you charge a general contractor? Estimate only, don't have to be specific.

I will bet you a dollar nobody answer that for you. Seriously depends on pattern and the going rate in your area. Example guys on west coast Charge one price, Midwest another, east coast another. What is the total square feet of the area? Finally what is your pattern layout diamond, square, Some interior designer wants to get real creative Those are serious pricing factors. Also is the floor level or is it going to require soup first.

Advertisement

Last edited by 747; 09-07-2007 at 12:09 AM.
Old 09-07-2007, 12:28 AM   #3
Pro

Trade: Commercial interior super
Rewards Points: 500

I agree with 747, but mainly with the layout... Diamond can be a bi#@*!! Also, I hope since it's a new home, it's level and no mounds, but if not, 18x18 can be tough..
Answer some of his questions and good luck.

Oh yeah, 1 other thing...
Assuming doesn't make an a55 out of me and you, it makes an a55 out of YOU and YOU!!!
Old 09-07-2007, 08:44 AM   #4
Knowledge Factory

Trade: Certified Floorcovering Failure Investigator

There is no such thing as a "going rate" unless your an employee, with someone else setting your worth and value.

Each cotractor has his own set costs of doing business. Each contractor has their own going rate, that does not apply to other contractors.

No two jobs are the same, so everything is price on a per job estimate.
Old 09-07-2007, 10:00 PM   #5
Pro

Trade: Siding & remodeling
Rewards Points: 75

nobody can ever give a straight answer,..... obvisoully he knows theres varisables...

when i do a basement remodel i usually figure tile labor between 2.50 - 2.75 for regular 12 by 12s ...

bigger tiles are alittle more depending on the shape of the room
Old 09-07-2007, 10:01 PM   #6
Pro

Trade: Siding & remodeling
Rewards Points: 75

now u can paypal him a buck
Old 09-07-2007, 10:44 PM   #7

Well, I am a salesperson, not a contractor. My company just lost their last sub for installing tile to cancer. We have used him for years. We are looking to find a new sub to install for us and was looking for a fair rate to pay him/her. I called/price shopped 8 installers and found that the going rate was $3.00-$3.50. More money for diamond patter, borders, on wood floor, outside sealing, and others. We are picking 3 of the ones we called and are going to try each one out. We want to offer them $.50 less than the cheapest one to be our installer. We can feed them enough jobs were they don't need to worry about any other work. We think that is fair, and is better than having to hire an employee.

We cover paying them for product warranty, but not their mistakes. We pay extra for all the other stuff, incrementally.

What are your thoughts if a store came to you with this offer. Keep in mind, hypothetically you are only a tile installer, not a GC/Remodeler.

Thanks for your honest and open minded remarks.
Old 09-08-2007, 12:34 AM   #8
Knowledge Factory

Quote:
Well, I am a salesperson, not a contractor. We want to offer them $.50 less than the cheapest one to be our installer. We can feed them enough jobs were they don't need to worry about any other work. We think that is fair, and is better than having to hire an employee.

You are hiring an employee.

Are all three DBA'ed legal businesses, with a tax payer ID and not a person with a social security number??
Old 09-08-2007, 07:58 AM   #9
Pro

Trade: Commercial Loading Dock and Door Contractor
Rewards Points: 630

Quote:

What are your thoughts if a store came to you with this offer. Keep in mind, hypothetically you are only a tile installer, not a GC/Remodeler.
I started in construction as a tile installer, I did not survive the early 90s when the industry was tight, and I was a sub to 3 "Color Tile" stores, I was getting $2.00/sf back them, and could not feed a family on that, since some jobs required a helper, and some did not, you kinda needed to have one all the time, that would cost $10/hour back then, more like $15/hour now.

Expect to install an average of 180sf/day, and do it correctly. you also need to go back and grout, so for a day and a half you will get $450, or $300 per day, less the helper, you will make $150-180/day.

You will not get good reliable subs for that money, and if you do, they will be out of business before long, and you will be back at it again.

If you are a quality organization, you would need to pay around $4/sf (Mass) for a basic install, to be sure you get well represented.
Old 09-08-2007, 04:08 PM   #10
Remodeling GC

Trade: Remodeling General Contractor
Rewards Points: 2

really depends on the site, how far to the saw, how flat the floor and tiles are,how many doors closets etc????

www.ObrienConstructionDenver.com
Old 09-08-2007, 04:12 PM   #11
Remodeling GC

Trade: Remodeling General Contractor
Rewards Points: 2

Quote:
Well, I am a salesperson, not a contractor. My company just lost their last sub for installing tile to cancer. We have used him for years. We are looking to find a new sub to install for us and was looking for a fair rate to pay him/her. I called/price shopped 8 installers and found that the going rate was $3.00-$3.50. More money for diamond patter, borders, on wood floor, outside sealing, and others. We are picking 3 of the ones we called and are going to try each one out. We want to offer them $.50 less than the cheapest one to be our installer. We can feed them enough jobs were they don't need to worry about any other work. We think that is fair, and is better than having to hire an employee.

We cover paying them for product warranty, but not their mistakes. We pay extra for all the other stuff, incrementally.

Sounds to me like you want to pay employee wages to the tile sub. 3.50 is ridiculius to me in denver for quality work. The tile sub has insurance truck etc... unlike your employee.

www.ObrienConstructionDenver.com
Old 09-08-2007, 04:21 PM   #12
Pro

Trade: General Contractor, Remodeler

I charge $15 sq ft for 12x12's on a basic install, and figure $2/ft for cuts. Extra for details. This provides labor and installation materials, everything except the tile. Can't compete with most folks... $4/ft indeed...I might put down underlayment for that... or maybe grout. Then again, that might be about enough for me to get out of the truck with a tape measure. Have to do some math to be sure though.
Old 09-08-2007, 04:38 PM   #13

If I called all of the independent installers and price shopped them and they said they all get $6.00 sq/ft, then that is what I would expect to pay. They all told me $3.00-$3.50. That was their price to a home owner needing an install.(I was shopping as HO). This isn't me hoping to get someone for $2.50 and charging $5.00 for install. This is me wanting to pay them $3.00, charge customer $3.50 and keeping $.50 for keeping them busy, having to fix their mistakes if they flake on me, having to buy the materials for install and any other minor problem. If they said they wanted $6.00, I would charge $6.50 to customer and again only keep $.50. This is not me wanting to pay employee wages. This is me wanting decent work for THEIR requested pay. I can't help it if everyone around her lowballs home owner shoppers to get the job.

Does this make sense?
Old 09-09-2007, 06:56 PM   #14

Trade: Commercail lease space General Contactor

I've been charging $3.00sf labor only to my custermers and I pay my subs $2.00sf
Old 09-09-2007, 07:49 PM   #15
Sauna & Steam - Remodelin

Trade: Remodeling / Sauna & Steam
Rewards Points: 150

Fetam

50 cents per sf isn't enough for you to make any profit. You may cover your time with that and make a wage, but you won't make any profit - especially if you intend to supply setting materials.

Been there, done that. Trust me.
Old 09-09-2007, 08:49 PM   #16
Pro

Trade: Bathroom Remodeling
Rewards Points: 2,000

I always get two reactions when I read these type of posts, the first is just jaw dropping awe, the second is head shaking disbelief that there are human beings in this world stupid enough to do the back-breaking, body-destroying work of tile installation for $2 and $3 a square foot.

More power to you Fetam, sheer those sheep. If there are guys that dumb, than ***** em'. Put em to work.

Only thing I see wrong with your plan is marking them up .5 cents a square foot. I'd mark em up about $10 a square foot and still be low.

I'm like Kevin, I can find guys to install for $2.00-$3.00 a square foot, but they wouldn't last 20 minutes on the job site under the scrutiny of the quality we sell to our customers. Garbage in - garbage out.

I could hear those type of installers now... "what da ya mean the grout lines need to be straight?" "Lippage, what is lippage?"
Old 09-09-2007, 09:27 PM   #17
Knowledge Factory

Excellent replies to this thread!

All the good guys have work at their profitable price, sounds like you got the leftovers bidding your work.

The "going rate" around here, is $2.25-$2.50 a sq.ft. No matter how big or how small.. patterns, floors, walls, or ceiling, all the same price.

My pricing starts @ $7.50 and that is labor, Straight lay, no setting materials, over a crack free concrete substrate. With a $600 minimum Last one I did, came in right under $15 a foot and they were very pleased, compared to their last house.
Old 09-09-2007, 11:56 PM   #18

We have been doing the $.50 markup for 4+ years. This isn't something new we are doing, I was just wondering what going rate was across the country and what to expect. We make plenty of profit because we supply carpet, tile, stone, hardwood, cabinets, granite/marble counter tops, sinks, faucets, appliances, lighting, sunlights, window treatments, window tinting, and more. We make a profit with low margins and large sales. We offer install on all of our products (72% we install) but it is not mandatory. So, $.50 is not a profit markup, it is a cover our butt charge. It's worked. We have a good system.
Old 09-10-2007, 12:18 AM   #19
Paul

Trade: Hard Surface Flooring
Rewards Points: 554

Quote:
It's worked. We have a good system.
Then why are you consistently looking for new installers? Have you given that a thought yet? Your great system is no different that a big box store.....if thats what you want to be well I guess more power to ya. I doubt you can compete with them though, using the same tactics. Many have tried and many have failed.
Installation, Sales & Repair - "We do it right the FIRST time"
Old 09-10-2007, 01:16 AM   #20
Pro

Trade: contractor
Rewards Points: 2,000

i would say the going rate is $45 per square foot

but i don't install tile, so i wouldn't know

Advertisement