Things I Have Bought In The Last Month That I Should Have Bought Fourteen Years Ago

Old 02-07-2018, 07:23 AM   #1
90%-er

Trade: Remodeling
Rewards Points: 1,448

Things I Have Bought In The Last Month That I Should Have Bought Fourteen Years Ago

1) Actual good expensive accurate laser level and tripod

2) Bosch Bulldog Max rotary hammer drill/electric chisel/badass kindof a handheld jackhammer type thing

I cannot fathom in one thought the amount of time I wasted since I started my business in August of 2003, not owning these two tools. Unbelievable. I'd be a millionaire.....

Sent from my SM-G950U using Tapatalk
The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to onmywayup For This Useful Post:
brickhook (02-07-2018), KAP (02-07-2018), sparehair (02-07-2018)

Warning: The topics covered on this site include activities in which there exists the potential for serious injury or death. ContractorTalk.com DOES NOT guarantee the accuracy or completeness of any information contained on this site. Always use proper safety precaution and reference reliable outside sources before attempting any construction or remodeling task!

Advertisement

Old 02-07-2018, 09:11 AM   #2

Trade: Remodeling Contractor
Rewards Points: 202

Re: Things I Have Bought In The Last Month That I Should Have Bought Fourteen Years Ago

Quote:
Originally Posted by onmywayup View Post

2) Bosch Bulldog Max rotary hammer drill/electric chisel/badass kindof a handheld jackhammer type thing

I cannot fathom in one thought the amount of time I wasted since I started my business in August of 2003, not owning these two tools. Unbelievable. I'd be a millionaire.....

Which laser and tripod did you end up with?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Advertisement

Old 02-07-2018, 05:40 PM   #3
Pro

Trade: Painting, flooring
Rewards Points: 1,124

Re: Things I Have Bought In The Last Month That I Should Have Bought Fourteen Years Ago

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bradcon View Post

Wait until you buy a nailgun and a skillsaw!

Sent from my SM-N950U using Tapatalk
The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to sparehair For This Useful Post:
Bull Trout (02-09-2018), pinwheel (02-09-2018), Seven-Delta-FortyOne (02-08-2018)

Old 02-07-2018, 07:07 PM   #4
Pro

Trade: Carpentry
Rewards Points: 398

I spend way too luck on tools, but I like them and they make my life easier.

It may sound weird, but I like it when a tool does. Gives me an excuse to buy a new one. New model. New improvements.

Old 02-07-2018, 07:47 PM   #5
Pro

Rewards Points: 3,234

Quote:
Originally Posted by sparehair View Post
Wait until you buy a cordless nailgun and a cordless saw!

FIFY

Old 02-07-2018, 08:31 PM   #6
Pro

Trade: Contractor and Grunt
Rewards Points: 3,084

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mordekyle View Post
FIFY

Here he goes, no cords.
Attached Thumbnails
Things I have bought in the last month that I should have bought fourteen years ago-c92ab8ac-8a06-443e-bec5-2e0a797db151.jpeg  
The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to Big Johnson For This Useful Post:
Bull Trout (02-09-2018), Mordekyle (02-07-2018), onmywayup (02-08-2018)
Old 02-07-2018, 09:08 PM   #7
Pro

Trade: Painting and wallpaper
Rewards Points: 2,368

I just bought a second Festool vacuum. Should have done it years ago.
Old 02-08-2018, 02:05 PM   #8
90%-er

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bradcon View Post

Not near the took right now so I can't get exact info, but it's a Bosch that was about $225 or so plus another $35 for the tripod. It's got a green laser and it shoots out a good 80-100 feet indoors.

Just can't believe the amount of extra measuring and chalk line snapping etc that it has saved me. I'm tiling a shower in my house this weekend and I'm really excited to set it up to get that first row perfectly level.

Last edited by onmywayup; 02-08-2018 at 02:08 PM.
Old 02-08-2018, 02:07 PM   #9
90%-er

Quote:
Originally Posted by sparehair View Post
Wait until you buy a nailgun and a skillsaw!

I haven't pulled out my corded skill saw in three or four years. Only thing I have to plug in much anymore is the chop saw and I'm pretty sure I'm about to buy the Dewalt cordless one of those with part of the fat check I get on Tuesday.

I've had a cordless 18ga Brad nailer forever, but I definitely want to get a cordless framing gun. Gotta be Dewalt though.

Old 02-08-2018, 03:43 PM   #10
Pro

Trade: Contractor and Grunt
Rewards Points: 3,084

Quote:
I haven't pulled out my corded skill saw in three or four years. Only thing I have to plug in much anymore is the chop saw and I'm pretty sure I'm about to buy the Dewalt cordless one of those with part of the fat check I get on Tuesday.

I've had a cordless 18ga Brad nailer forever, but I definitely want to get a cordless framing gun. Gotta be Dewalt though.

Thinking about selling my Dewalt cordless framer. I was going to keep it as a backup but I donít know if I ever want to use it again anyways. So now itís just taking up valuable space.
Old 02-08-2018, 06:43 PM   #11
Pro

Trade: I'll do that for 500 bucks.
Rewards Points: 7,402

Quote:

The problem is that the laser would have been 1,000 bucks back then. I remember when you had to rent them for 150 bucks a day.

Old 02-08-2018, 09:00 PM   #12
90%-er

Quote:
Originally Posted by VinylHanger View Post
The problem is that the laser would have been 1,000 bucks back then. I remember when you had to rent them for 150 bucks a day.

No sh!t? Didn't realize they were that new of a concept. Well anyway, glad to have it now. Never gonna lay another floor or install a line of lights, etc. again without it.

Old 02-09-2018, 07:32 AM   #13
Contractor of the Month

Trade: Control Systems
Rewards Points: 12,122

My first eye-opener was a laser level...what a game changer.
Old 02-09-2018, 12:55 PM   #14
Pro

Trade: Workaholic
Rewards Points: 888

just got a mitre saw stand, should have got years ago.
The Following User Says Thank You to cedarboarder For This Useful Post:
Bull Trout (02-09-2018)
Old 02-09-2018, 01:46 PM   #15
Pro

Trade: Masonry
Rewards Points: 6,215

A in the job truck invoice pad with carbon copies. Clean up, bill same day, discount for paying by the end of the week, Invoice blanks had the interest and bookkeeping charges for unpaid bills on back(maximum allowed by law) customer pays collection expenses......

A brick cell phone late 80s/90 a horn honker option,1300.00$ deposit, and 2.00$ for three minutes, less then a 30 day pay back on sales/ driving and talking....

A spacing tape rule TWELVE FEET long marked on BOTH sides, one modular masonry heights, the back marked in standard spacing for small brick... A one day tool (~20.00$) pay back

Portal style (like the symbol for Phi) safeway style braces instead of X- bracing, @ 50,00-70,00$ each for USA made ones, a one week's production increase pays for one....

Any demo saw that "precleaned" the air with the flywheel blower vs 100% air filtering..... A partner K-750? active air? run for hours without cleaning a filter, days wet sawing.....

laser cut throw away hand saws, fast and cheap, no cord, no stinking dead batteries.....

Marv Post brand speed leads, much faster set up then old school square posts, down side, very younger masons have any large lead skills or speed using a level only....

Using a paddle mixer instead of a tumble mixer, Faster, better and quicker for mortar mixing/quality. a must with any tinted mortars for repeatability.

returning to a tumble mixer for grout mixes, faster, better, Cheaper(use larger aggregates)fewer break downs.

Having old levels around to cut to "odd" lengths needed on "big" jobs with a lot of pier building, 20" pier, saw down an old two footer to length, another one day pay back.

The laser plumb bobs are game changers on multi story veneer office buildings and elevator shafts, so much quicker then a gravity plumb bob, you use far more often with less time lost.

A president that doesn't HATE business and capitalism, priceless.
Big Johnson (02-10-2018)
Old 02-10-2018, 01:27 PM   #16
90%-er

Quote:
Originally Posted by cedarboarder View Post
just got a mitre saw stand, should have got years ago.
I've never seen one used and can't really picture carrying one around all the time. Is it just for outfeed support for pieces you're cutting?

Advertisement