Contractor Talk - Professional Construction and Remodeling Forum banner

Theft-proofing sign posts

2K views 4 replies 3 participants last post by  ERAD_DIB 
#1 ·
Looking for some ideas on anchoring U-channel posts so that they can't be pulled up without power equipment. Theft-resistant nuts and bolts are good for the signs themselves, but we've had more than one instance where entire posts have "grown legs." I've considered wiring up the posts, but besides the fact there's no electricity out there, the property owner won't go along with that. Likewise with paintball landmines. ;)

The locations of the signs are pretty much all remote areas where concrete mixers, etc., ain't gonna go, but I'd still like to set them in concrete. (Might have 250 gallons of water available for that purpose.) These posts aren't anywhere that a breakaway post would be required, so I want 'em to be just about bomb proof.

Either with or without a concrete base, I'm trying to think up a way to drive in some rebar at angles in 2-4 places alongside the post, so that the unburied ends can somehow be clamped, maybe even welded, to the post. Then nobody could shake the post until it loosens the soil up enough to pull it out. If I do it right, they won't be able to push it over with an ATV, either.

Seems like a lot of work, but it'll let 'em know there's a new sheriff in town.

See less See more
#4 ·
Cool - more metal for the scrapyard...
Yeah, I just saw something about rebar prices going up because the price of scrap went up. Any day now, the yard-apes will be back trying to rip us off for copper cable and stuff.

Concrete it - the rest will look tacky & if they want it, they are going to get it no matter what
But they're gonna have to work for it. And just maybe, they'll be on Convict Camera. "Star of the daaaaaaaay . . . " :devil:

Graffiti in Maine? Whats the world coming to???
Ain't it awful? all kinds of theft and vandalism going on. Used to be, the kids wanted to be astronauts, or at least a lobster boat captain. Now they all want to be gangstas or some dang thing.
Let the beatings begin! :hammer:

#3 ·
Green U-channel, lets say the outside diameter of the U-channel is about 2.5". Dig down 36-40'' install 6'' OD galvanized pipe, cement around the exterior of the pipe-let set. Now drop the U-channel into the pipe, fill pipe interior with cement. The type of soil you have will effect the overall strenth, be careful not to overdig and backfill with dirt. Whatever dirt comes out must be replaced with concrete. G--Note, you can up the ante by welding a 12"x12" flat plate to the bottom of the pipe.G

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.