Stucco Underlayment

Old 02-10-2008, 02:14 PM   #1

Trade: Project Manager
Rewards Points: 10

Stucco Underlayment

I have a stucco crew in on a project and they are placing stucco on the outside of a finished walk-out basement. They have placed an underlayment of #30 felt paper on top of the existing Tyvek that hangs down from the above floor. I think this is wrong but they say it will be fine and that is how they do things. If any wind driven rain gets behind the siding it will flow behind their felt and then have no-where to go except up against the house. Am I missing something or shouldnt the felt be tucked under and overlapped by the Tyvek?

Warning: The topics covered on this site include activities in which there exists the potential for serious injury or death. ContractorTalk.com DOES NOT guarantee the accuracy or completeness of any information contained on this site. Always use proper safety precaution and reference reliable outside sources before attempting any construction or remodeling task!

Old 02-10-2008, 07:34 PM   #2
Custom Builder

Trade: Custom home builder
Rewards Points: 47

Re: Stucco Underlayment

Quote:
Originally Posted by dannywild View Post
I have a stucco crew in on a project and they are placing stucco on the outside of a finished walk-out basement. They have placed an underlayment of #30 felt paper on top of the existing Tyvek that hangs down from the above floor. I think this is wrong but they say it will be fine and that is how they do things. If any wind driven rain gets behind the siding it will flow behind their felt and then have no-where to go except up against the house. Am I missing something or shouldnt the felt be tucked under and overlapped by the Tyvek?
With a proper caulk job along with the pieces of tape between butt joints of the siding (provided you are using Hardi) you should not have any penetration. If you do it sould flow between the existing Tyvek and felt. Why are you not using Tyvek Stucco Wrap under the felt?

Old 02-10-2008, 07:39 PM   #3
Pro

Trade: Monkey Scratching Cat Herder
Rewards Points: 2,358

Any time that there is a change of material or plane, the upper should lap the lower, no exceptions.
Old 02-10-2008, 08:48 PM   #4
Pro

Trade: remodeling contractor, SE Mass.
Rewards Points: 160

If the upper siding is vinyl the tyvek should lap onto a dripcap flashing above the stucco to keep water from getting between the 30# felt and stucco(or behind the felt the way it is now). Phil
Old 02-12-2008, 06:42 PM   #5
Pro

Trade: remodeling general contractor
Rewards Points: 500

Not quite sure if your concern is about the proper layering of the materials or the use of the felt over the Tyvek.
As stated by others, ALL layers of any underlayerment or flashing should always be lapped from top to bottom, so that water is always shedded over the next piece in the direction of flow.
If you are worried about using the felt over the Tyvek, it is fine. You actually have a stucco crew that understands that the stucco is suppossed to have a bond breaker (in this case, the felt) to prevent the scratch coat from being in direct contact with and adhereing to the building wrap.
Old 03-31-2014, 04:10 PM   #6
Pro

Trade: General Contractor
Rewards Points: 244

Quote from Dupont installation instructions for all of its Tyvek products:

"When DuPontTM TyvekŪ water-resistive barriers are used behind stucco they should be separated from the stucco by a second layer of DuPontTM TyvekŪ WRB, a layer of Grade D building paper, felt, rigid foam board or the paper backing of paper-backed lath."

Yes, I know that it's an old thread, and other original post was on the shingling of layers. Here in early 2014 it's still a top search result for tyvek stucco wrap, so I thought I'd add the note.

fb page