Shortage Of Tradesmen

Old 11-19-2009, 03:49 PM   #1
Pro

Trade: Masonry
Rewards Points: 75

Shortage Of Tradesmen

Do you guys think there will be a shortage of trademens in 5 to 10 years.
With most construction work being so slow, and with trade schools not
Filling up. I think more and more people are staying away from learning a construction
Trade in the near future. What do you guys think

Last edited by INTRA; 11-19-2009 at 03:53 PM. Reason: miss spelling

Warning: The topics covered on this site include activities in which there exists the potential for serious injury or death. ContractorTalk.com DOES NOT guarantee the accuracy or completeness of any information contained on this site. Always use proper safety precaution and reference reliable outside sources before attempting any construction or remodeling task!

Old 11-19-2009, 04:02 PM   #2
Nest Home Improvement

Trade: Home improvement simplified!
Rewards Points: 510

Re: Shortage Of Tradesmen

There may be a shortage of tradespeople in the not too distant future or may be not. I think many non-trades people are going to figure out that building, construction, remodeling, repair etc. are all things that can't be outsourced to other countries.

Yes, things are slow but I don't see us going back to living in huts or caves. People have to live somewhere and someone has build, maintain, repair and improve where we live. So I think renovation, repair, maintenance are all solid industries to be in now and in the future.

Others will figure out that out and want to join the ranks as well.

The Following User Says Thank You to carolinahandyma For This Useful Post:
skyhook (11-19-2009)
Old 11-19-2009, 04:11 PM   #3
Pro

Trade: Handyman
Rewards Points: 1,194

Quote:
Originally Posted by INTRA View Post
With most construction work being so slow, and with trade schools not
Filling up. I think more and more people are staying away from learning a construction
Trade in the near future. What do you guys think
Around here there already is a shortage of masons!
Old 11-19-2009, 04:35 PM   #4
Pro

Trade: Builder
Rewards Points: 250

Masons are becoming a rare breed here, as well...
Old 11-19-2009, 04:37 PM   #5
Builder/Remodeler

Trade: Builder/Remodeler
Rewards Points: 2,000
Send a message via Skype™ to ChrWright

There's already a shortage of good craftsmen in many trades--and it will likely only get worse. The guys who suck are teaching another generation who will suck even worse than they do.

It sickens me to see some of the work being turned out these days--much of it overseen by builders who have never been craftsmen themselves, and thus don't know the first thing about selecting subs.

I've spent all day fixing someone else's f-ups so my views are a tad skewed at the moment.
Indianapolis Kitchen Remodeling Contractor - You Can Get There From Here
The Following 13 Users Say Thank You to ChrWright For This Useful Post:
Big Shoe (11-20-2009), catawba (11-19-2009), Cdat (11-22-2009), Heritage (11-19-2009), jarvis design (11-19-2009), katoman (11-19-2009), PrecisionFloors (11-19-2009), SC sawdaddy (11-19-2009), skyhook (11-19-2009), tgeb (11-19-2009), trimworks (11-20-2009), WilsonRMDL (11-21-2009), wyoming 1 (11-19-2009)
Old 11-19-2009, 04:39 PM   #6
Superior Firepower

Trade: GC Lic. since 1985
Rewards Points: 3,034

Quote:
Originally Posted by INTRA View Post
Only English speaking ones.

The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to skyhook For This Useful Post:
Big Shoe (11-20-2009), SC sawdaddy (11-19-2009), trimworks (11-20-2009)
Old 11-19-2009, 04:43 PM   #7
Builder/Remodeler

Trade: Builder/Remodeler
Send a message via Skype™ to ChrWright

The busted boom that led to all this mess created a lot of paper builders who didn't know the first thing about how things should be built. Most of the problems don't show up until long after that last check was cashed--and many MANY of those hacks are no longer in business anymore so there's no one around to stand up and make it right.

A waste of good materials, in most cases. Where's the track-ho...
Indianapolis Kitchen Remodeling Contractor - You Can Get There From Here
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to ChrWright For This Useful Post:
Tom M (11-19-2009), trimworks (11-20-2009)
Old 11-19-2009, 05:07 PM   #8
Pro

Trade: Bathroom Remodeling

Here is one of the reasons for a shortage now and more to come :

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mike Finley View Post
Personally, that fits right in with handyman crybaby hogwash.

There is a big difference between a professional tradesman who has demonstrated a history here of acting like so, and somebody showing up with 2 posts trying to get information on a task they painfully demonstrate through the questions they are asking that they don't even have the first clue.

The first example the person asking has enough sense to hire somebody if the clients best interests are served the 2nd person we all know will plow ahead no matter what and hack together some sh*t just to collect their low baller handyman wages no matter what, and at the same time will carry on for a hundred posts telling us how professional they are.

Understand:

CONSTRUCTION HAS A TRADITIONAL LEARNING CURVE BASE ON APPRENTICESHIP

(You work for somebody or work next to somebody day after day and learn by doing with supervision)

NOT BUYING A DIYER BOOK OR LEARNING OFF THE INTERNET, AND EXPERIMENTING.

The problem is some of us have forgotten that or never even known it.

Those who have will be in denial forever and recite example after example of how they got where they are as if that is justification.

You can work on your car or your house all you want, but the moment you start working on others it's a different ball game all together.

Doesn't play in my book.
The Following 4 Users Say Thank You to Mike Finley For This Useful Post:
billy d (11-20-2009), Heritage (11-19-2009), JohnJ0906 (11-19-2009), WilsonRMDL (11-22-2009)
Old 11-19-2009, 05:15 PM   #9
Fisherman

Trade: Kitchen and Bath remodels
Rewards Points: 75

Mike Finley for President. 2 calloused thumbs up.
Old 11-19-2009, 05:17 PM   #10
Geometrist

Trade: framing/remodeling
Rewards Points: 2,385

Quote:
Originally Posted by Frank P View Post
Mike Finley for President. 2 calloused thumbs up.

God help us all!!
JustaFramer (11-23-2009)
Old 11-19-2009, 05:24 PM   #11
Average Joe

Trade: Design/Build
Rewards Points: 506

I agree with some of the guys above, there already is a shortage.

Now, if in some parallel universe, the Gov't was to step up and raise the bar of entry into the trades then we would suffer even worse with regards to an actual "shortage".

I would personally like to see a shortage for the obvious reasons. Volume seldom = quality.

I'm far less concerned with the shortage than I am with the actual prerequisite of entry.
Old 11-19-2009, 05:32 PM   #12
Pro

Trade: General construction and remodeling
Rewards Points: 1,018

Quote:
Originally Posted by ChrWright View Post
There's already a shortage of good craftsmen in many trades--and it will likely only get worse. The guys who suck are teaching another generation who will suck even worse than they do.

It sickens me to see some of the work being turned out these days--much of it overseen by builders who have never been craftsmen themselves, and thus don't know the first thing about selecting subs.

I've spent all day fixing someone else's f-ups so my views are a tad skewed at the moment.
Great post and i could'nt agree more!! We've noticed an influx of "rework" type jobs, where homies hire out a job, and homies dont know any better as to who they're hiring in the first place by and large, and these crews come in and do some outlanish work....things beyond any comprehension...the one deck we had to fix....they literally used 3 1/2" treated deck screws and toenailed all the railing posts to the decking....that was it....that was all that held the posts to the deck. Homie seen us building all the decks in that neighborhood that got ravished by floods and asked us to look at it, you could deflect the railing sections 6" either direction and it was only 2 weeks old. Beams were screwed to the outside of the posts with pole barn screws...seriously. But this is the type of stuff we're seeing more of on a scarey regular basis.

I dont ever think there'll be a shortage of "skilled/unskilled" labor.....when using those terms to talk about our trade, for the simple fact people think they can do anything, all their buddies can do anything, and what is the #1 profession folks turn to when the chips are down....construction jobs, weather it be helping a friend hack status or moonlighting themselves thinking they know what they're doing....and we know most of the time they know juuust enough to be extremely dangerious.
Old 11-19-2009, 05:32 PM   #13
Capra aegagrus

Trade: Remodeler
Rewards Points: 3,570

One of the biggest reasons I see for a possible future shortage of tradesmen is the ever-burgeoning quantity of codes and regulations that have to be met just to be legal--let alone good. I know more than a couple of very skilled guys who are actually looking forward to a chance to get out of it. They enjoy the work, but are sick of trying to keep up with the ever-shifting regulatory morass.

And not to send the thread south (well, maybe), that's one reason for the abundance of so-called hacks who sidestep building permits, insurance and so forth. If every single tradesman rigidly adhered to every single regulation out there--along with many more to come from all sorts of special-interest groups--your average homeowner would be very hard-pressed to contemplate even a simple remodel with the funds he has available.
The Following User Says Thank You to Tinstaafl For This Useful Post:
mics_54 (11-19-2009)
Old 11-19-2009, 05:45 PM   #14
Pro

Quote:
Originally Posted by IHI View Post
Great post and i could'nt agree more!! We've noticed an influx of "rework" type jobs, where homies hire out a job, and homies dont know any better as to who they're hiring in the first place by and large, and these crews come in and do some outlanish work....things beyond any comprehension...the one deck we had to fix....
I still can't believe the job I looked at to redo a steam shower where the customers hired some hack ass handyman type and they actually told me the guy had a book on the job site that he read from every day to learn how to build a steam shower.

The worst part of it was they seemed to be defending him and thought that he was smart or something cause he was 'smarter' then other contractors cause he was using a book.
Old 11-19-2009, 05:54 PM   #15
Pro

Trade: Licensed Electrical Contractor and Remodeler
Rewards Points: 3,516

I don't know the solution, but one of the problems seems to be the image of the trades being a "second choice" career to fall back on.

Every parent wants their kids to be doctors and lawyers=unrealistic
The kids want to be firefighters, the president, super heros, video game designers, etc.=unrealistic

If kids were taught that the trades are an honest way to make a living (if you go about it the right way) from an earlier age, there would be more quality people available.
Old 11-19-2009, 06:04 PM   #16
Pro

Trade: Builder
Rewards Points: 250

The saddest part of the trades currently, is the way we treat our help. Honestly, Im as guilty as anyone else.

I never looked deeply into the history of building. Well, not true. I fall asleep reading books on old tools, furniture , blacksmithing, timberframing... whatever I can find. But, I don't know what happened to the apprenticeship, journeyman, master progression.

I've read a lot about the civil war, and my impression is it started to die out, around then, probably to be finished off by around World War I. Im making a Wild Guess.

Does anyone know of any good source of information, on how people were brought into the trades, back when?

Ive seen a lot of stuff in the trades, a lot of it, has been a hoot. But, the things that'll bother me the most in the end, might not be the customers.

It may be all the new guys, who got kleenx'd at the end of the job. Some of them were the best part of going to work. But at the end of many jobs, when the grunt work ran low, not to mention budgets, they were the first let go, without any warning.

Often instead of these guys being told honestly, why they where getting the boot. They were made to believe it was for their own shortcomings, instead of the hard truth...

Anyway, it would be nice, if somehow, someone, could find a way to make it economically feasible for small operators to train and retain new people in the trades. The current way, which is how I learned the trade, is a trial, not to be recommended.
Old 11-19-2009, 06:13 PM   #17
Pro

Illegals causing stagnant wages haven't helped. Why would a kid want to get into sheet rocking when he is going to be working on a crew that doesn't speak English and making less then he could at McDonalds?

The next Myron Fergusen will be born in Mexico.
The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to Mike Finley For This Useful Post:
Cdat (11-22-2009), tgeb (11-19-2009), trimworks (11-20-2009)
Old 11-19-2009, 06:33 PM   #18
Pro

Trade: Carpenter

wasn't myron born in mexico?
Old 11-19-2009, 06:39 PM   #19
Back from the dead...

Trade: Paperhanger/Painter
Rewards Points: 2,004

Nunca habrá una escasez de comerciante. Ellos apenas don' t sucede hablar la lengua local. Y don' t olvida, hay millones más de ellos apenas que esperan para cruzar la frontera y para llenar esos puntos.
Old 11-19-2009, 06:47 PM   #20
Pro

Trade: Licensed Electrical Contractor and Remodeler
Rewards Points: 3,516

Quote:
Originally Posted by ProWallGuy View Post
Nunca habrá una escasez de comerciante. Ellos apenas don' t sucede hablar la lengua local. Y don' t olvida, hay millones más de ellos apenas que esperan para cruzar la frontera y para llenar esos puntos.
Donde estan mis pantelones?