Ridicoulus Test

Old 12-03-2017, 11:01 AM   #1

Trade: Electrical contractor
Rewards Points: 66

Ridicoulus Test

Going thru the Florida Residential Building Code I find that the book is very hard to navigate thru. The pages handle very hard thru that binder with those huge rings.
Its very hard to make sense how the appendix works ( P is not plumbing and E is not electric.

Besides that I'm very mad that a builder has to know electrical , plumbing and HVAC questions and still has to hire a specific subcontractor of that respective trade.
I have the feeling that these tests are a money making machine for those that administer the test and those in the business of training the people taking the test.
I don't think this serves the best interest of the state.

Warning: The topics covered on this site include activities in which there exists the potential for serious injury or death. ContractorTalk.com DOES NOT guarantee the accuracy or completeness of any information contained on this site. Always use proper safety precaution and reference reliable outside sources before attempting any construction or remodeling task!

Advertisement

Old 12-03-2017, 11:03 AM   #2
I own stock in FotoMat!

Trade: 132 on Bush, I've got him at gunpoint!
Rewards Points: 10,480

Re: Ridicoulus Test

Griping about it on an innernets forum isn't going to change it.

If you want something done right, you gotta do it yourself. Take your cause to the powers that be.

Advertisement

kirkdc (12-03-2017), TBM (12-03-2017)
Old 12-03-2017, 11:33 AM   #3
Donut �� enjoyer

Trade: B General Contractor
Rewards Points: 506

It's totally a ridiculous test but what can you do its what has to be done. Suck it up and do it.

Old 12-03-2017, 11:34 AM   #4
Pro

Trade: Electrical Contractor
Rewards Points: 2,004

To the OP,

I understand your post. And, I can agree with you to a certain point. But, I'm here in CA and things are pretty much the same, maybe even worse.

I've also looked at posts like yours, and, the ones that potential contractors write to the CSLB License Guru for the CA Contractors License tests here.

My opinion is: get used to disappointment. The rules are written by large bureaucracies (i.e. government) in government and legal speak. This covers their butt. But it is how it is. If you really want to be a legal contractor, get used to the way it is. Everyone else somehow, someway managed to get through it. It's like complaining about how hard and uncomfortable Basic Training is. Too bad. You're getting your hair mussed. Maybe this isn't for you.

Most potential contractors fail the legal and business end of tests. Why is this ? It's because they are not, nor ever have been, business people. The ability to read, understand, comprehend and assimilate rules and regulations written by others seems to be beyond a lot of trades people. That's why they tend to be lousy business owners. Estimating, quoting, contracting and contracts, agreements and so forth tend to be poorly written or non-existent.
The Following User Says Thank You to cwatbay For This Useful Post:
cedarboarder (12-05-2017)
Old 12-03-2017, 11:54 AM   #5
Pro

Trade: Gutters
Rewards Points: 1,397

Quote:
Originally Posted by cwatbay View Post
To the OP,

I understand your post. And, I can agree with you to a certain point. But, I'm here in CA and things are pretty much the same, maybe even worse.

I've also looked at posts like yours, and, the ones that potential contractors write to the CSLB License Guru for the CA Contractors License tests here.

My opinion is: get used to disappointment. The rules are written by large bureaucracies (i.e. government) in government and legal speak. This covers their butt. But it is how it is. If you really want to be a legal contractor, get used to the way it is. Everyone else somehow, someway managed to get through it. It's like complaining about how hard and uncomfortable Basic Training is. Too bad. You're getting your hair mussed. Maybe this isn't for you.

Most potential contractors fail the legal and business end of tests. Why is this ? It's because they are not, nor ever have been, business people. The ability to read, understand, comprehend and assimilate rules and regulations written by others seems to be beyond a lot of trades people. That's why they tend to be lousy business owners. Estimating, quoting, contracting and contracts, agreements and so forth tend to be poorly written or non-existent.
That?s tough to read but it?s true. I?m 7 years self employed and have to constantly remind myself how little I really know.

(I?m a small fish in a big pond) say it, repeate it and never forget.
Old 12-03-2017, 11:56 AM   #6

Quote:
Originally Posted by cwatbay View Post
To the OP,

Well let me tell you this: Im 100% sure that if you'd take the FL Electrical exam you will fail.

Im a successful NJ electrical contractor in business for over 30 years.
I have accumulated quite a bit of real estate in my life and I retired at 55 ( I still get a job here and there to help friends). I have built two homes of which one with my own hands

I tell you all this not to brag but to prove a point that I'm not a lousy business man.
Many states do not require A GC exam to get a license. Do you think the buildings are falling down in their locations? What is the point to know plumbing and electric ? May as well introduce biology just in case someone gets a rash, or sign language in case you have a potential deaf customer.

Last edited by Peter Goldwing; 12-03-2017 at 12:29 PM.
Old 12-03-2017, 11:57 AM   #7
LRG WoodCrafting

Trade: Woodworker Extraordinaire
Rewards Points: 11,267

Come to CT and all you have to do is fork over cash to the state and viola! You're a contractor.

Quote:
Originally Posted by HusqyPro View Post
Carpenter by day.
Mad scientist by night.
http://lrgwood.com
Custom Cabinets in Hartford County Connecticut
Old 12-03-2017, 01:51 PM   #8
Pro

Trade: Handyman
Rewards Points: 360

or come to upstate NY and you do not need a license, unless the local authorities want some money.
Still have not seen too many houses falling down....
Old 12-03-2017, 02:01 PM   #9
I own stock in FotoMat!

Trade: 132 on Bush, I've got him at gunpoint!
Rewards Points: 10,480

I have no time or desire to help those who only want to bitch.
Old 12-03-2017, 02:48 PM   #10

Quote:
Originally Posted by 480sparky View Post
I have no time or desire to help those who only want to bitch.
All that for a fee, I guess.
Old 12-03-2017, 07:52 PM   #11
Pro

Trade: Remodeling (mostly kitch/bath)
Rewards Points: 2,796

GC license testing in CO is a bummer. One bigass thick book, a guy can't keep the damm thing open. You need to score an 80 or higher. If ya flunk you repay to retest again. On average the front desk gal told me it takes 4-8 hours to finish. It took me 6 (as I left to take a freaking lunch).

I finally finish and hand it in to the gal. She says hang on she'll correct it now. I'm watching her make slashes on the wrong ones and cringing every time she moves her pen. I squeaked out an 80.

Unless I flunked and she was just being nice.

Last edited by kirkdc; 12-03-2017 at 09:23 PM.
Old 12-03-2017, 08:23 PM   #12
Pro

Trade: Home Improvement Contractor
Rewards Points: 1,346

The GC license here is pretty involved (no idea what the requirements/testing are) but to get my remodelers license they want $75 a year and proof of insurance (GC and WC).
Old 12-03-2017, 08:42 PM   #13
Pro

Trade: Workaholic
Rewards Points: 1,208

are you be surprised by this?
builder has to know electrical , plumbing and HVAC questions and still has to hire a specific subcontractor of that respective trade.
that right there is for the best interest of the state

Last edited by cedarboarder; 12-03-2017 at 08:46 PM.
Old 12-05-2017, 11:13 AM   #14
Kowboy

Trade: Countertops
Rewards Points: 7,938

The Florida building contractor's tests are proctored (you gotta hold up your hand to go pee) and are open-book. You aren't expected to know everything about every trade, you're expected to know how to look up enough information fast enough to pass the test. I never would have passed them all the first time without first taking the class. No one's passing those tests with what's in their head, I don't care how experienced you are.
Old 12-06-2017, 05:11 PM   #15
EVIL GENIUS

Trade: General Contractor, electrical, fabrication, & wel
Rewards Points: 4,892

Michigan isnt any better, Im in the process of going for a exam for the electrical license. What a mess that is. Im doing a study course and it has a practice test and shows you where to find the answer. One question I couldn't find so I hit the button to show you where to find the answer and it goes through all the pages I did then says to look at the chart on whatever page and it says there is no reference to this chart so you just have to search for it. On a timed exam how are you supposed to search though a 2 inch thick book?

You have to have a min score of 75%, my theory is they have it rigged where you ace the test if you get a 75%. When is costs $100 to take the test they want you to take it a lot of times.

I think a lot of these license exams got the way because the big shots at the state need something to do to keep their jobs so they are always changing things. If they dont do something there is no reason for them to have a job so they try to look important and are always screwing around with this stuff.

Global warming is a myth, like evolution and the metric system.
U.S. Coast Guard
Old 12-06-2017, 05:20 PM   #16
LRG WoodCrafting

Sounds like most jobs in govt

Quote:
Carpenter by day.
Mad scientist by night.
The Following User Says Thank You to Leo G For This Useful Post:
Michaeljp86 (12-06-2017)
Old 12-06-2017, 06:35 PM   #17
Pro

Trade: General Contractor
Rewards Points: 626

I had to do the WV license test. I bought a pile of books they recommended. Carpentry, masonry, concrete, drywall, osha, I already had the NEC.

I studied and failed.
I studied more and failed.
I studied more and passed.

There was a business and law test that needed to be taken separately. I was able to have our controller do that part. The license was issued in the company name.

That was 12+ years ago. I couldn't pass that test tomorrow if my life depended on it. It was open book too.

Sent from my SM-G930V using Tapatalk
Old 12-06-2017, 08:31 PM   #18
Pro

Trade: Constructioneer; LEED AP BD+C
Rewards Points: 1,548

Quote:
Originally Posted by Leo G View Post
Come to CT and all you have to do is fork over cash to the state and viola! You're a contractor.
Same with NJ, you can even do government work. Send the state around $100.00, proof of insurance and a little paperwork and you're in .
Old 12-06-2017, 08:46 PM   #19
LRG WoodCrafting

Don't need proof of insurance here.

Quote:
Carpenter by day.
Mad scientist by night.
Old 12-06-2017, 09:33 PM   #20
EVIL GENIUS

Trade: General Contractor, electrical, fabrication, & wel
Rewards Points: 4,892

Quote:
Originally Posted by Leo G View Post
Don't need proof of insurance here.
In michigan the state doesnt require insurance but some municipalities do if you pull a permit. They wont give you a permit without insurance.

Advertisement

Global warming is a myth, like evolution and the metric system.
U.S. Coast Guard