Residential Security - General Discussion - Contractor Talk

Residential Security

Old 11-22-2016, 05:38 PM   #1
Pro

Trade: Carpenter/PM
Rewards Points: 326

Residential Security

We build houses and they've been getting robbed recently (a toilet at one job, copper at another, a storage trailer got broken into at another one). We're about to buy a couple of these to hide and use for detecting and recording any trespassers. Anybody have any luck with any other methods or cameras? Thanks

Warning: The topics covered on this site include activities in which there exists the potential for serious injury or death. ContractorTalk.com DOES NOT guarantee the accuracy or completeness of any information contained on this site. Always use proper safety precaution and reference reliable outside sources before attempting any construction or remodeling task!

Advertisement

Old 11-22-2016, 06:43 PM   #2
Pro

Trade: Custom
Rewards Points: 29,388

Re: Residential Security

Quote:
Originally Posted by patgeds22 View Post
We build houses and they've been getting robbed recently (a toilet at one job, copper at another, a storage trailer got broken into at another one). We're about to buy a couple of these to hide and use for detecting and recording any trespassers. Anybody have any luck with any other methods or cameras? Thanks
As you can see, if someone WANTS to get into the job to steal something, there is little you can do to stop them... even with an alarm...

You'd be surprised at how effective a security sign is and motion sensor light in tandem with a sign on your trailer door that says "This trailer/home is protected by anti-theft equipment, including the camera that is recording you right now if you're reading this... Smile, you're on candid camera"...

They have no idea if it's real or not and can't see the camera... that is, unless you drill a hole and mount a lens you picked up from Goodwill on the trailer door for effect (but with the motion light and sign, you're already re-enforcing it)...

The key is deterrent... getting them to choose a different target with less risk...

Advertisement

Last edited by KAP; 11-22-2016 at 07:28 PM.
The Following User Says Thank You to KAP For This Useful Post:
patgeds22 (11-22-2016)
Old 11-23-2016, 01:56 AM   #3
Particulate Filter

Trade: Flooring
Rewards Points: 1,356

If every one of my sites was getting broken into I would suspect a current or former employee. Chances of the burglar being someone you know are high.

Ive also had really good results with motion lights. Dumny cameras are also good.

Funny thing is we had a neighbor who actually recorded tow guys stealing our roommates car. Gave it to the police. It was worthless. Grainy video of a guy in a hoody is not a lot to go on.

Sent from my SM-N910T using Tapatalk

www.portlandhardwoodrefinishing.com
The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to Metro M & L For This Useful Post:
CasaKeepers (11-26-2016), hdavis (11-26-2016), Krok (11-23-2016)

Old 11-25-2016, 07:33 AM   #4
Contractor of the Month

Trade: Control Systems
Rewards Points: 13,664

Quote:
Originally Posted by Metro M & L View Post
If every one of my sites was getting broken into I would suspect a current or former employee. Chances of the burglar being someone you know are high.

Ive also had really good results with motion lights. Dumny cameras are also good.

Funny thing is we had a neighbor who actually recorded tow guys stealing our roommates car. Gave it to the police. It was worthless. Grainy video of a guy in a hoody is not a lot to go on.

I parse footage for the cops regularly, most isn't enough to get a conviction, just a nice video of your stuff getting stolen.
hdavis (11-26-2016)
Old 11-26-2016, 05:54 AM   #5
Pro

Trade: masonry
Rewards Points: 7,570

Around here, everybody is putting trail cameras up on every tree around the job....got be careful where you pee
Old 11-26-2016, 02:33 PM   #6
Pro

Trade: Mold Generator
Rewards Points: 844

Lived in a high crime area where everything got stolen, so what most of us did is just bring/unload what we needed that day. Leaving things over the weekend was a definite no-no most of the time as come monday it was gone.
Cameras just record things being stolen, as mentioned, plus if they're illegals and it's a sanctuary city/state, no one cares anyway.
The Following User Says Thank You to Krok For This Useful Post:
hdavis (11-26-2016)
Old 11-26-2016, 07:47 PM   #7
Pro

Trade: remodeling
Rewards Points: 2,993

Getting a video for a good id is tough.
Old 11-26-2016, 08:06 PM   #8
Pro

Trade: Remodeling / Carpentry
Rewards Points: 2,008

3'x5' decent sign with police badge 1' high--- Construction Site- No Trespassing - Police Take Notice - Violators will be Prosecuted
Old 11-28-2016, 10:23 AM   #9
Particulate Filter

Quote:
Originally Posted by Krok View Post
Lived in a high crime area where everything got stolen, so what most of us did is just bring/unload what we needed that day. Leaving things over the weekend was a definite no-no most of the time as come monday it was gone.
Cameras just record things being stolen, as mentioned, plus if they're illegals and it's a sanctuary city/state, no one cares anyway.
Stop being a rascist. Just because someones skin is brown doesnt mean they are a criminal.

Old 11-28-2016, 11:35 AM   #10

Trade: Remodeling
Rewards Points: 188

Quote:
Quote:
Originally Posted by Krok View Post
Stop being a rascist. Just because someones skin is brown doesnt mean they are a criminal.
?

Where'd that come from?
Old 11-28-2016, 11:50 AM   #11
Particulate Filter

"If theyre illegals and its a sanctuary city/state no one cares anyway."

It assumes a couple things: Crime is being committed by illegal aliens. The illegal aliens are not prosecuted, particularly in states that dont deport.

I gotta say in my life, out of the ten or so times I caught people stealing my stuff or the possessions of my employers they have all been american citizens.

Also, in my town anyway. The freeway entrances are manned by and large by white guys with two hands and two feet and the labor corners are manned by hispanic immigrants. Its pretty clear to me who has their hand out and whos here to work.

Old 11-28-2016, 08:36 PM   #12
Pro

Trade: Mold Generator
Rewards Points: 844

Quote:
I quoted what is right. Didn't know being an illegal is a race as it's far more of a cultural thing, but that's a different subject.

Where I lived, americans doing crime and got caught faced consequences. Illegals getting caught gave fake names and were let go, or were given tickets and not bothered to show up, or if serious enough, felonies reduced to misdemeanors so INS wouldn't have to be called and they walked.

Come to think of it, I was in court last week--traffic ticket--and almost all of the no-shows had hispanic names. That's weird as it's up north where there aren't a lot of hispanics. Maybe that same 11 million that's been here for the last 20 years just move around....

I also used to get calls from the DAs office often, asking for a person I never met, didn't know and wasn't. It was never Ron Jackson or Michelle Smith.....Must be the government lawyers wondering why ***X didn't show up for as the deal they cut.

Americans that do the theft crimes are mostly related to drugs and they have an ID, a history and usually after a few times disappear for 6 months to a year.

Last edited by Krok; 11-28-2016 at 08:39 PM.
Old 11-30-2016, 09:37 AM   #13

Trade: Carpentry/Remodeling
Rewards Points: 186

I had a new home borken into and had tools stolen one time. Since then I am very reluctant to leave tools on a job site. I pick up the tools every day if it is new construction. Ill leave stuff in occupied homes. 30min each day is a small price to pay. Replacing everything is expensive (insurance deperciates everything).
Old 11-30-2016, 12:58 PM   #14
Punching above his weight

Trade: Gun for hire.
Rewards Points: 8,356

Quote:

It assumes a couple things: Crime is being committed by illegal aliens. The illegal aliens are not prosecuted, particularly in states that dont deport.

I gotta say in my life, out of the ten or so times I caught people stealing my stuff or the possessions of my employers they have all been american citizens.

Also, in my town anyway. The freeway entrances are manned by and large by white guys with two hands and two feet and the labor corners are manned by hispanic immigrants. Its pretty clear to me who has their hand out and whos here to work.

You should come hang out in my neighborhood, we have whites, blacks, hispanics, legals and illegals alike, ALL manning the freeway off ramps.
Brings a tear to the eye.

Advertisement