Ramp-A-Thon Boston 2013 - General Discussion - Contractor Talk

Ramp-A-Thon Boston 2013

Old 04-21-2013, 09:20 PM   #1
Pro

Trade: Plumbing & Electrical
Rewards Points: 516

Ramp-A-Thon Boston 2013

Gentlemen and ladies,

Its been a long time since ive been on here..well, ever since Plumbing zone came about.
I'll make this short...I was in Boston for Patriots day. I met my girlfriend (who lives out there) the morning of. After the ball game we decided to head for some beers instead of going to the start finish line, like she normally would do. We were a 1/4 mile away from the blasts. As lucky as we were to not be injured, you all know many many others were not. Ive been questioning myself on what could I have done to help, instead of leaving the city as fast as we could.
Now that i'm back home on the left coast its really bugging me to hear about all the people who have no way to earn a living or get back in their homes.

So my question is this:
What is the status with the Ramp a Thon?
Are there any guys on here from the area willing to help these people out with ramps?

These are good people who need the help. Theres a picture of a guy who looks pale getting carried out of the area. I saw on the local news before it was censored out what happened to his legs. He was being interviewed a few days ago....he said he is a roofer and has no way to provide for his family any more. These people could use a ramp...its not hard to build people.

Thanks,
James
tanklesstech@gmail.com

Warning: The topics covered on this site include activities in which there exists the potential for serious injury or death. ContractorTalk.com DOES NOT guarantee the accuracy or completeness of any information contained on this site. Always use proper safety precaution and reference reliable outside sources before attempting any construction or remodeling task!

Advertisement

Old 04-21-2013, 09:43 PM   #2
Sean

Trade: Principal / Owner
Rewards Points: 112

Re: Ramp-A-Thon Boston 2013

Well the official one started here on CT has died off
Whether the Building chapter that this idea was taken from still does it, I don't know
With that many of us do charity work, some NADRA chapters do Deck for a Soldier programs, etc... If you really want to help out you can check into Red Cross & other similar organizations & see what you can do

Advertisement

Old 04-21-2013, 09:47 PM   #3
stacker of sticks

Trade: home remodeling, new construction
Rewards Points: 590

I'm interested. I'm in ny but all my family is around Worcester. So I have a place to stay. Do you think you could get any suppliers to donate materials.

Old 04-21-2013, 09:53 PM   #4
Pro

Trade: GC/Remodeling
Rewards Points: 1,730

I think its a great idea James...If I was closer I'd be in..

Also, glad youre ok, and good to see ya post again

'It takes considerable knowledge just to realize the extent of your own ignorance.'-Thomas Sowell

Last edited by TimelessQuality; 04-21-2013 at 10:08 PM.
Old 04-22-2013, 05:26 PM   #5
Pro

Trade: Plumbing & Electrical
Rewards Points: 516

I don't have any real contacts for lumber or decking. I have an acct at plumbing and electrical supply houses. I am not licensed in Ma, but I could most definitely get after companies to cough up supplies. I see bum depot and blows chipping in. A LOT of contractors get their stuff from there... Given the traffic in the city, it makes sense.
I would be looking for a few guys licensed and insured w city permits to do business in the respective areas... I'd need plans to meet the local codes, and if memory, the guy who started the ramp a thon had posted some plans.... Kind of a template to go off of, to keep expenses down.
I did a search and the last postings for tge ramp a thon was over a year ago.
I'm kind of hoping to play unlicensed GC, and get the guys lined up, materials on site... And help some people out who got the short end of the stick. Any tips you all might have would be welcomed and appreciated.
Thx
Old 04-22-2013, 08:17 PM   #6
Pro

Trade: Framing / Finish / Windows / Doors
Rewards Points: 210

Quote:
Originally Posted by JamesNLA
Gentlemen and ladies,

Its been a long time since ive been on here..well, ever since Plumbing zone came about.
I'll make this short...I was in Boston for Patriots day. I met my girlfriend (who lives out there) the morning of. After the ball game we decided to head for some beers instead of going to the start finish line, like she normally would do. We were a 1/4 mile away from the blasts. As lucky as we were to not be injured, you all know many many others were not. Ive been questioning myself on what could I have done to help, instead of leaving the city as fast as we could.
Now that i'm back home on the left coast its really bugging me to hear about all the people who have no way to earn a living or get back in their homes.

So my question is this:
What is the status with the Ramp a Thon?
Are there any guys on here from the area willing to help these people out with ramps?

These are good people who need the help. Theres a picture of a guy who looks pale getting carried out of the area. I saw on the local news before it was censored out what happened to his legs. He was being interviewed a few days ago....he said he is a roofer and has no way to provide for his family any more. These people could use a ramp...its not hard to build people.

Thanks,
James
tanklesstech@gmail.com
I'm in Florida, I would be interested in donating my time. I could fly up for a weekend if you need some help. Just let me know.

Advertisement