Contractor Talk - Professional Construction and Remodeling Forum banner

Ramp-A-Thon

58K views 260 replies 66 participants last post by  wildnwonderful 
#1 · (Edited)

We are going to use this thread to keep track of what everyone is doing or to answer any questions someone may have about getting started etc..

Useful Threads: (How it began)
http://www.contractortalk.com/f11/lil-dude-can-cruise-now-47375/

http://www.contractortalk.com/f11/macs-2009-ramp-challenge-47658/

---------------------------------------------------------------------

**I am going to personally offer, my design services for anyone who needs them, be it 3d elevations, construction documents**

---------------------------------------------------------------------

A list of who is going to get one done this year: (Preferably More)
1. SLSTech
2. Forry
3. Cole
4. JasonW
5. rbsremodeling
6. AlwaysConfused11
7. PAWoodButcher
8. gtmstang
9. bvs
10. BSmart
11. Rick954
12. Mac
13. Paramount Contr
14. Burby
15. MALCO.New.York
16. Bodger
17. precisionbuild
18. A W Smith
19. JF
20. BreyerConstruct
21. LNG24
22. Greg Di
23. Bonesaw
24. BlakeS

Some more info is available on the website located here:
http://www.builtbymac.com/rampathon

http://www.coleconstructiongroup.com/rampathon/movie/ (Example Build Animation)

See less See more
#2 · (Edited by Moderator)
Perfect.

Thanks to Mac for starting this idea here on the forum, and thanks to Cole and friends for making it sticky.

All you guys who have committed to getting a ramp built, you rock.

Anyone who has pictures of a successful project can post pictures and we'll put them in the hall of fame on the website.

You can also let your donors and sponsors know they will be published on the website. Pictures of people working on the project are highly encouraged.

GOT PICTURES? Use the contact form on the website, or send me an email here: seth [at] dragithome [dot] com

#216 ·
agree

Perfect.

Thanks to Mac for starting this idea here on the forum, and thanks to Cole and friends for making it sticky.

All you guys who have committed to getting a ramp built, you rock.

Anyone who has pictures of a successful project can post pictures and we'll put them in the hall of fame on the website.

You can also let your donors and sponsors know they will be published on the website. Pictures of people working on the project are highly encouraged.

GOT PICTURES? Use the contact form on the website, or send me an email here: seth [at] dragithome [dot] com
I agree with what you guys are doing!

#7 ·
Hi Guys

I would like to get involved im my area Windsor, Ontario. My aunt has been in a wheel chair for all her life (polio) and is deeply involved in many organizations for people with disabilities, I'm sure she will have no problem pointing me in the right dirrection of someone in need. I will start planning right now count me in for atleast one.

#10 ·
Awesome stuff. Let's find ways to feature this on the website. I'm working on the new version of the site now and I'll make sure we have a highlighted section covering this. Maybe we can come up with a badge for members who are apart of the project as well.

#13 ·
Let's start w/ this thread and the website. As we move down the path, if enough interest is generated to introduce a sub-forum, we could do that when the need arises (unless it's way easier for you to set it up as you transition from the old site to the new). This is going to be a yearly thing for me from here on out.

Since this is a new thing for me (and all of us), we'll kinda make it up as we go along!

Thanks for your interest, Nathan. Highlighting this project on ct will definitely bring more builders in. I can't wait to see the final tally of finished projects next November!

Mac

#15 ·
Be glad to build a ramp or 2 in the Charleston SC area or Columbia SC area even.
I have done some jobs for crime victims program & Rape crisis Center, but because I would not charge them I could not do any more, It hurt the money they were allocated each year.
Make a Wish foundation, will do what I can, when ever I can.
I have done work on homes owned by eldery almost as long as I have been in business when one offers their name & they have no income for repairs. I have a good standing with my supply companies, even though I am retired, so to speak, for the most part. Since the loss of my wife & now with my son being terminal, it is hard to go back into business full time. My supply companies have always offered free or discounted material when doing freebies.
Never thought about making something as simple as ramp, yet so useful.

#22 · (Edited)
Looks good Mac. I found a link that is much easier to read and understand than the ADA site. You may want to include some of that information as well.

I've worked on many ADA projects and would hate to see someone doing a job like this and have it shot down by codes.

Landings have all sorts of rules and regs. at the entry depending on the location of the door and position of the ramp. see here

Also, you are limited to the length of the run and rise of the ramp before a landing needs to be added. The landing must be the same width as the ramp and at least 60" long. A ramp that changes direction must have a landing w/at least a 60" x 60" clear area.

More info here

This is a great thing to be involved in, can't wait to build!:clap:

#28 ·
If anyone is doing one in the Bucks County, Berks County in Pa. area let me know. PaWoodbutcher is only 3 hrs from me so if you want a hand or if anyone wants help, I'll happily donate my time, truck, and tools. It's been a rough year for me (laid off employee) so any good I can do for someone with the time currently on my hands would be great.

#29 ·
We need something pretty small for the badge. Very small actually. Something under 100x20 if possible (width x height).

I added a group that anyone who is interested in being apart of this group can join. It's a work in progress but it's a start.
You can join it here: http://www.contractortalk.com/profile.php?do=editusergroups

When you join the group you will get a badge added under your name that links to this thread. I'll work on the graphic as we get more ideas.

#37 ·
Great plan.
I won't be joining this group because last month I got my NARI roundtable to agree to a ramp to be built in the spring. But I would be glad to pass along that design along with the Ramp-a-Thon concept.
No matter who does it, its a good thing to give back to your community.
Nice to see this happening.

#38 ·
If that other site wasn't regional to Washington state, we probably wouldn't have decided to start another website. There are some great ideas there on that site.

What do you guys thing about having a "request a ramp" form on the site? I am on the fence leaning away from this idea and here is my logic:

The original intention for the website is for it to primarily be a website for a contractor to go to figure out how to initiate a Ramp-a-thon locally. This will include information on how to find someone in need.

There are some logistical issues to allowing people to request a ramp. I don't see a viable way to find builders in the area of the "requestee," unless we had staffers working for the website who could do local outreach, or something like that.

In keeping the website national, I think if the website provides the information and "how-to," and then the builder, donors, and other local participants connect to people in need, that seems like a good model.

What do you guys think? I'm open to whatever, as long as it works on a practical level.

Good ideas, and I love the badge idea. Make it a club, or a "tribe" that you have to earn your way into by building a ramp!

#40 ·
2 things

1. First problem, if someone submits a request and gets a crappy ramped built it may put a black eye on the site

What if they submit photo's of existing structure with a sketch and dimensions of the proposed ramps? If they aren't able to do that they shouldn't be building it under this group name.

2. You post the areas ramp-a-thon is available based on the areas that contractors on board are from and the areas they serve
A map of the US would be cool with areas shaded different colors for contractor coverage and contractors needed.

I would like to add that you might consider calling it "National Ramp-a-Thon"
So we don't step on any toe's.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.