Question For The GCs And Subbing Your Work...

Old 12-20-2017, 04:37 PM   #1
New Guy

Trade: Gen B
Rewards Points: 46

Question For The GCs And Subbing Your Work...

For the general contractors out there, how often do you sub out your work and where do you suggest is the best place to find some reliable sub contractors?

Warning: The topics covered on this site include activities in which there exists the potential for serious injury or death. ContractorTalk.com DOES NOT guarantee the accuracy or completeness of any information contained on this site. Always use proper safety precaution and reference reliable outside sources before attempting any construction or remodeling task!

Advertisement

Old 12-20-2017, 05:07 PM   #2
Pro

Trade: Framing, Roofing, Siding
Rewards Points: 824

Re: Question For The GCs And Subbing Your Work...

2 ways work for me:

1. Think of the large scale builders in your areas, possibly even the national guys. Where are they building at...drive through, take photos of trucks if guys aren't available and if they are stop and introduce yourself. You shouldn't be invasive on private property and don't be looking to poach their subs, rather you can offer additional work around their bigger clients.

2. I always stay well connected to my salesmen at local lumber yards. These guys have their finger on the pulse of the market. They know all the big and medium players, where all the large developments are located and they know the difference between the craftsmen quality subs and strap-hangers who have a good line of chit in the beginning. In the past during casual conversation, I mentioned to an outside salesmen I knew very well that we were slowing up in the coming weeks. He referred me over to replace his sister's roof and also gave my contact info to another contractor who we did 4-5 jobs for in the coming months. It was great timing and taught me an excellent lesson that these guys are a valuable source.

Advertisement

Page 77 has the updated, complete list.
The Following User Says Thank You to MattK For This Useful Post:
ScipioAfricanus (12-20-2017)
Old 12-20-2017, 05:32 PM   #3

Trade: General contractor
Rewards Points: 196

Quote:
Originally Posted by mkb View Post
For the general contractors out there, how often do you sub out your work and where do you suggest is the best place to find some reliable sub contractors?
We sub out a lot of work on new builds or additions. It helps get the job done a lot faster. I know a lot of trades from previously working for a builder. I have tried a few new guys. I just asked a lot of questions about there job which I know the answers too already. If they answered them all right I tried them out and it worked out good

Sent from my SM-N950W using Tapatalk

Old 12-20-2017, 09:44 PM   #4
Workin' Hard for the $

Trade: Home Repair/Remodeling/Renovation
Rewards Points: 35

We sub out much of the work as well and have found we get better results that way. I used the subs from my previous life working for a builder at first, but found they weren't well suited to the different demands of remodeling. Now I find most of our subs by asking other subs and other people we know in the business and it has worked well.

Sent from my Pixel using Tapatalk
Old 12-26-2017, 06:00 AM   #5
Pro

Trade: roofing and other envied trades
Rewards Points: 900

Be a good gc and ull have good subs.
Find them everywhere. Just talk to people. Get out of ur truck and walk up to any jobsite you see. Ask them if they are subs or employees first.