Question On AZAC Trim Board

Old 01-19-2008, 12:00 AM   #1
Pro

Trade: roofing
Rewards Points: 500

Question On AZAC Trim Board

anyone know anything about this stuff? i am having someone install new construction windows on an english tudor style home and the sub mentioned the outside trim will have to be ripped off and replaced with AZAC board.
never heard of it. is it expensive ? just need to trim one window.

Warning: The topics covered on this site include activities in which there exists the potential for serious injury or death. ContractorTalk.com DOES NOT guarantee the accuracy or completeness of any information contained on this site. Always use proper safety precaution and reference reliable outside sources before attempting any construction or remodeling task!

Old 01-19-2008, 12:45 AM   #2
Curmudgeon

Trade: carpentry/remodeling/"Yes M'am we do"
Location: Beech Grove, Indiana, Birthplace of the "King of Cool"
Rewards Points: 2,000

Re: Question On AZAC Trim Board

Quote:
Originally Posted by davinci View Post
anyone know anything about this stuff? i am having someone install new construction windows on an english tudor style home and the sub mentioned the outside trim will have to be ripped off and replaced with AZAC board.
never heard of it. is it expensive ? just need to trim one window.
You'll find out more if you search for "AzekŪ".

Old 01-19-2008, 07:15 AM   #3
Remodeling Professionals

Trade: Remodeling Contractor

Depending on the width it's about 50 bucks for an 18 foot length. Work with it just like wood.

Old 01-19-2008, 08:58 AM   #4
MA

Trade: Carpenter
Rewards Points: 25

Azek is one name brand of composite material.Tanza and Fiberon are others. I have used it plenty. No real complaints except the price and very flimsy to transport. Cost is often a factor to customer but when told they will never have to replace it seems to justify itself. It does work like wood but can be a little finicky especially in cold weather. Manufacturer also recomends using their glue for seams & miters etc. but I have found that a good PVC pipe glue (1/2 the price of the name brand) works just as well. Give it a try you make the decision.
Old 01-19-2008, 09:16 AM   #5
Remodeling Professionals

Koma, Azek, Kleer, NeverRot and Royal Board are some more. Like G said, it's really floppy so you'll need a strongback to transport it. Koma has a brushed appearance that is a magnet for dirt, especially if you're handling it with dirty hands or gloves. Clean it with 409 or something similar. Azek has a more glossy twin finish, smooth one side, cedar wood grain on the other. With it's glossier finish it's easier to wipe clean. Keep in mind that all PVC expands quite a bit in the heat. It's not uncommon for a full length installed in the winter to expand by up to 3/8" in the heat of summer. This causes even glued joints to blow apart. I've seen it myself, even with Christy's White Hot Glue. I would not use pipe glue. I've heard good things about Bond 'N Fill glue, it's supposed to keep that from happening. Be careful when handling pieces with mitered cuts, they can be REALLY sharp!

Old 01-19-2008, 09:31 AM   #6
MA

Trade: Carpenter
Rewards Points: 25

Quote:
Originally Posted by buildenterprise View Post
Keep in mind that all PVC expands quite a bit in the heat. It's not uncommon for a full length installed in the winter to expand by up to 3/8" in the heat of summer. This causes even glued joints to blow apart. Be careful when handling pieces with mitered cuts, they can be REALLY sharp!

Very true! I learned the later the hard way. Then 409 is a must to get the "red out" OUCH!
Old 01-19-2008, 02:33 PM   #7
Al Smith

Trade: Home Improvement contractor since 1983, In building field since 1974, Licensed
Rewards Points: 1,000
Send a message via ICQ to A W Smith

and if your ripping Azek on a bench top table saw be prepared for a tremendous static shock as you touch the table after a long rip.
Old 01-19-2008, 02:58 PM   #8
Pro

Trade: Siding, Windows, Seamless Gutters, Metal Roofing
Rewards Points: 2,316

What do you guys use for nail filler. Ive seen a TON of botched jobs do to caulking and nail hole filling, all turning yellow the next year. I can show you pictures of many high $$$$ homes near me that look like crap now cause of this
Old 01-19-2008, 03:02 PM   #9
Al Smith

Trade: Home Improvement contractor since 1983, In building field since 1974, Licensed

Quote:
Originally Posted by Patrick View Post
What do you guys use for nail filler. Ive seen a TON of botched jobs do to caulking and nail hole filling, all turning yellow the next year. I can show you pictures of many high $$$$ homes near me that look like crap now cause of this

we dont. we use stainless finish nails in a trim gun
Old 01-19-2008, 03:04 PM   #10
Pro

ya, but what fills the hole? Even the finish gun inevitable leaves that little rectangular divit which is noticeable at least to me
Old 01-19-2008, 03:05 PM   #11
Remodeling Professionals

That's because they're using painter's caulk on it. We use stainless finish nails so there's no need to fill the tiny holes. when there is a need we'll use white Lexel.

Quote:

Old 01-19-2008, 03:10 PM   #12
Al Smith

Quote:
ya, but what fills the hole? Even the finish gun inevitable leaves that little rectangular divit which is noticeable at least to me
My cheap Smith and Wesson doesn't leave a rectangular hole. The hole is no larger than a regular (hand nail) 6d finish nail would be. The Hitatchi however leaves too big of a divit.

Last edited by A W Smith; 01-19-2008 at 03:12 PM.
Old 01-19-2008, 03:16 PM   #13
Pro

Smith and Wesson??? WTF? I had no idea they made those lol. I usually use a bostich angle nailer.
Old 01-19-2008, 03:28 PM   #14
Remodeling Professionals

I use a Senco FinishPro 35, the hole is the size of the nail. Some of the PVC brands will even melt around the nail from the friction when it enters, sealing the hole right up.

Old 01-20-2008, 04:26 PM   #15
Pro

Trade: remodeling general contractor

Great upper end product IMO. It is pricey compared to wood, but that is totally insignificant, since you are only talking about one window. Agree with the others, that long lengths tend to be annoying to work with because they are so flexible. We install with 15 ga Hitachi gun, be sure to use stainless nails. Anything that could get knocked (like window sills) get backed up with ss trim head screws. IMO Azeck and Kleer are the two best brands, because they are more consistently solid in the core and leave a much more workable edge when cut or profiled, the others tend to be much rougher to me. Also, some of the less expensive products have a very brittle outer shell and seem to crack or shatter a lot when nailed. Like everything, you get what you pay for. Although we caulk with high performance selants like Lexal or Geoseal, we find that using it to fill nail holes is too messy. Since our applications are always painted, our painters use exterior grade of painters puttty. Everyting then gets primed with a xylene based primer, and topcoated with top of the line acrylic. I love the product, but for it to look convincing as a wood substitute, it has to be painted for me.
Old 01-20-2008, 04:29 PM   #16
Pro

Trade: remodeling general contractor

Quote:
Originally Posted by A W Smith View Post
My cheap Smith and Wesson doesn't leave a rectangular hole. The hole is no larger than a regular (hand nail) 6d finish nail would be. The Hitatchi however leaves too big of a divit.
38 special or 45 cal? Both seem like they would leave a much bigger hole than a Hitachi.
Old 01-20-2008, 04:34 PM   #17
Pro

Quote:
Originally Posted by troubleseeker View Post
38 special or 45 cal? Both seem like they would leave a much bigger hole than a Hitachi.
LOL thats what I thought till I followed his link!