Contractor Talk - Professional Construction and Remodeling Forum banner

Propane Tank

3K views 4 replies 3 participants last post by  kpikul 
#1 ·
I have a 100 pound propane tank the was filled for the first time a couple days ago.

It is in my yard and has yet to be hooked up to the ventless gas fireplace.

I went over to the tank this morning and there was a propane smell in the air. I was told it was the relief value expelling some pressure. Does this sound right? If so, how often does it usuall happen?

#2 ·
There is a relief valve and it may release some gas due to temperature changes, that is why it's there. This usually occurs soon after filling and will subside in a day or two or after you use some of the gas.

#5 ·
Tank placement

I moved the tank to a shaded area on the other side of the garage. It is a few feet away from the side of the garage and around 15-20 feet from the property line.

I think moving the tank may have done the trick. I talked to the company who filled the tank and they told me it was either the sun raising the temp of the tank or it was a bit overfilled which causes the relief valve to expell some vapors.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.