NY TIMES Article-Business Section

Old 08-22-2010, 12:27 PM   #1
Pro

Trade: Licensed Remodeling Contractor
Rewards Points: 97

NY TIMES Article-Business Section

Gentlemen,

http://www.nytimes.com/2010/08/22/jo...l?ref=business

I take particular offense to the following statement concerning "qualifications":

"People with this kind of background are not uncommon in remodeling, probably because itís one of the dwindling number of mentally challenging careers that require almost nothing in the way of qualifications except a strong back, common sense and a willingness to work hard."

Your thoughts?

Warning: The topics covered on this site include activities in which there exists the potential for serious injury or death. ContractorTalk.com DOES NOT guarantee the accuracy or completeness of any information contained on this site. Always use proper safety precaution and reference reliable outside sources before attempting any construction or remodeling task!

Advertisement

Old 08-22-2010, 12:48 PM   #2
Champion Thread Derailer

Trade: Home Renovations
Rewards Points: 380

Re: NY TIMES Article-Business Section

Wow!

Kinda makes me feel all warm and fuzzy inside..... I guess that must be my blood boiling!

Advertisement

Old 08-22-2010, 02:14 PM   #3
Capra aegagrus

Trade: Remodeler
Rewards Points: 2,401

Quote:
Originally Posted by Big Rig View Post
"People with this kind of background are not uncommon in remodeling, probably because itís one of the dwindling number of mentally challenging careers that require almost nothing in the way of qualifications except a strong back, common sense and a willingness to work hard."

Your thoughts?
I think I'm glad to have a job that is often mentally challenging.

Taken in context, he's not insulting you or me. It's a fact that you can do well in this field without a college education or expensive tech school background. I enjoyed the article.

Old 08-22-2010, 02:19 PM   #4
Pro

Trade: General Contractor ~ Property Maintenance
Rewards Points: 2,306

seriously, don'tbe offended...he's actually right if you think about it. He's not referring to anyone inparticular. He's just saying there are more people with that background in the contractor field than others such as accounting,medical, law enforcement, etc.
Old 08-22-2010, 02:21 PM   #5
Handle It!

Trade: Everything The Union Guys Do Not Want To Do
Rewards Points: 2,000

One ONLY is offended when they can PERSONALLY relate to said insult...

Just sayin'!

Ultimate Wisdom---------
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=OW-cnizLDEE
The Following User Says Thank You to MALCO.New.York For This Useful Post:
rbsremodeling (08-22-2010)
Old 08-22-2010, 02:42 PM   #6
Average Joe

Trade: Design/Build
Rewards Points: 524

Quote:
Originally Posted by MALCO.New.York View Post

Just sayin'!
BS.

The guy is a donkey and with a combination of subtle insinuation & outright offensive wide brushed painting of an entire industry has managed to insult me VERY MUCH, and I can't/don't "PERSONALLY relate to said insults" in the way you meant.

Maybe you missed it, but he plain as day basically said Construction/carpentry is an industry that is a magnet for all of the criminal, inept, and repulsive members of our civilization

That anyone who was unable to get into the "corporate world", through whatever number of reasons (such things as not having very good grades/getting caught up with misdeeds) can find a "2nd or 3rd chance" in this industry that basically takes in anyone with "a strong back, common sense and a willingness to work hard".

You don't have to be a Philosopher/Genius/Political Scientist/Economist/Psychologist/Humanist to know/recognize how in ONE article this monkey has managed to completely BUTCHER so many topics/issues...and in the end do a tremendous dis-service to an entire industry. An industry, mind you...that feeds his own degenerate azz!

My respect for the NY Times just took a huge ****** nose dive.
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Heritage For This Useful Post:
Big Rig (08-22-2010), dberkey1 (08-24-2010)
Old 08-22-2010, 02:47 PM   #7
Capra aegagrus

Trade: Remodeler
Rewards Points: 2,401

Quote:
Originally Posted by Heritage View Post
Maybe you missed it, but he plain as day basically said Construction/carpentry is an industry that is a magnet for all of the criminal, inept, and repulsive members of our civilization
Disagree. What he did say is that it's an industry that allows those who don't fit the usual mold of, shall we say, the mass of sheep to succeed without completely submitting to sheepdom. At least that's the way I choose to read it.
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Tinstaafl For This Useful Post:
aptpupil (08-23-2010), dberkey1 (08-24-2010)
Old 08-22-2010, 02:52 PM   #8
Pro

Trade: Renovations
Rewards Points: 500

Quote:
Gentlemen,

http://www.nytimes.com/2010/08/22/jo...l?ref=business

I take particular offense to the following statement concerning "qualifications":

Your thoughts?
I take this as a complement, read it again.
Old 08-22-2010, 02:58 PM   #9
Champion Thread Derailer

Trade: Home Renovations
Rewards Points: 380

Quote:
Originally Posted by MALCO.New.York View Post

Just sayin'!
I would suggest you reconsider the possibility that there are reasons other than the only one you made mention of. Such as, in my instance, misreading the author's meaning. I more or less read into it that he was being insulting. After getting my computer to unfreeze where as I was able to actually open the link and read the article, I admit that I had it wrong when I read the OP and misinterpreted (for some reason I seem to be doing a lot of that lately). This wasn't insulting. The author was only telling it like it is.
Old 08-22-2010, 03:44 PM   #10
LRG WoodCrafting

Trade: Maker of Fine Sawdust
Rewards Points: 2,433

"People with this kind of background are not uncommon in remodeling, probably because it’s one of the dwindling number of mentally challenging careers that require almost nothing in the way of qualifications except a strong back, common sense and a willingness to work hard."

In my years of working in the field I find that common sense is not that common. It is a pretty rare find to get someone who is able to think on there feet and come up with a solution that will be feasible and workable.

All these people with their college educations couldn't do what we do because they don't have the mind to do it (of course there are some). And manual dexterity is not something that comes naturally and needs to be learned. Just like any other job.

Quote:
Originally Posted by HusqyPro View Post
Carpenter by day.
Mad scientist by night.
http://lrgwood.com
Custom Cabinets in Hartford County Connecticut
The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to Leo G For This Useful Post:
Big Rig (08-22-2010), rbsremodeling (08-22-2010), Tom M (08-22-2010)
Old 08-22-2010, 03:56 PM   #11
Pro

Trade: General Contractor - ret.

Quote:
As opposed to being a butt sucking by-line writer for the NY Times?
The Following User Says Thank You to A. Spruce For This Useful Post:
TileLady (08-22-2010)
Old 08-22-2010, 09:03 PM   #12
Pro

Trade: Licensed Remodeling Contractor
Rewards Points: 97

[quote=Heritage;992945]BS.

The guy is a donkey and with a combination of subtle insinuation & outright offensive wide brushed painting of an entire industry has managed to insult me VERY MUCH, and I can't/don't "PERSONALLY relate to said insults" in the way you meant.

That anyone who was unable to get into the "corporate world", through whatever number of reasons (such things as not having very good grades/getting caught up with misdeeds) can find a "2nd or 3rd chance" in this industry that basically takes in anyone with "a strong back, common sense and a willingness to work hard".

You don't have to be a Philosopher/Genius/Political Scientist/Economist/Psychologist/Humanist to know/recognize how in ONE article this monkey has managed to completely BUTCHER so many topics/issues...and in the end do a tremendous dis-service to an entire industry. An industry, mind you...that feeds his own degenerate azz!

Thank you for your insight.
Old 08-22-2010, 09:15 PM   #13
Tiling & Bath Contractor

Trade: Tiling & Bathroom Remodeling
Rewards Points: 250

I have to say that I really don't see the point of the article. The writer is 'claiming' that hard physical work is a good distraction. What the real moral of his story is that some people don't take their problems with them to work.

I personally found the article insulting to contractors. He's telling everybody construction was the place for him because he was a screwup.

Well guess what Eric Smith (and Caroline Yang of the NY Times), I left the corporate world to work as a contractor and I also have a bachelor's degree in business management. I was in the National Honor Society in high school and was a straight A student.

I think this article really does a disservice to contractors because it's painting contractors in a bad light. Maybe there should be some more positive articles written about contracting instead.
The Following User Says Thank You to TileLady For This Useful Post:
Big Rig (08-22-2010)
Old 08-22-2010, 10:20 PM   #14
New Guy

Trade: Roofing
Rewards Points: 25

It's the NY Times, what else do you expect?
Old 08-22-2010, 10:47 PM   #15
Pro

Trade: General Contractor - ret.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lou the roofer View Post
It's the NY Times, what else do you expect?
If Rupert Murdock owns the NY Times, that would explain a lot.
Old 08-23-2010, 11:26 AM   #16
Pro

Trade: General Contractor
Rewards Points: 1,894

any of you guys read this book?
http://www.amazon.com/Shop-Class-Sou.../dp/1594202230
shop class as soulcraft is written by ex-college guy who turned to motorcycle repair because he found it more intellectually stimulating than his desk job. great book, should be required reading for those in the trades.

Advertisement