NEW HOME WARRANTY For New Mexico

Old 09-05-2007, 06:04 PM   #1

Trade: Development managment Corp
Rewards Points: 10

NEW HOME WARRANTY For New Mexico

OK, well I am back for more questions... In California we have SB800 as a minimum standard for production home warranty. All I can find for NM is HB 706. It is a 9 page document that is lacking to say the least...is that all there is???

Thanks, Darla~

Warning: The topics covered on this site include activities in which there exists the potential for serious injury or death. ContractorTalk.com DOES NOT guarantee the accuracy or completeness of any information contained on this site. Always use proper safety precaution and reference reliable outside sources before attempting any construction or remodeling task!

Old 09-05-2007, 06:44 PM   #2
Thom

Trade: General Contractor/Homebuilder
Rewards Points: 3,190

Re: NEW HOME WARRANTY For New Mexico

You should be able to find some things with construction industries division.

Basically, the way I understand it (I've only been a GC in NM since 1982) a contractor is required to warrant his work for 1 year. Unfortunately, it really doesn't matter if the material supplier doesn't honor it's warranty, the contractor must. This requirement is passed down the line. The GC is responsible as is the sub that performed the work.

The law does not apply to aesthetics. It's about structure and performance. If the roof leaks, you must repair/replace it even if it is a material issue. Same with just about everything you provide. If the miters on the trim open up, that's aesthetics and not an issue, though your customer could sue you for failure to perform in a workmanlike manner.

Darla, where in the state are you working? Your profile seems to obfuscate your actual work. What company are you managing for?

The enforcement is through the state, construction industries division. I presume they send the problems out to local inspectors where they exist. Failure to repair the problem in a timely manner will result in the loss of the contractors license.

It doesn't seem to be an issue that the contractor was not paid. The work performed must be performed properly, to code, and warranted by law for one year.

Old 09-06-2007, 12:38 PM   #3

Trade: Development managment Corp
Rewards Points: 10

Thank you your input. I am a PM for an Investment and Development Firm in California. We have a project going up in Edgewood. From everything I can gather at this point out home owners will be provided with a very good warranty as we will be using California standards, as our contracts are requiring all fit and finish to be warranted for 1 year as well. But I can not seem to figure out why the builders there all have these signs that say "10 YEAR HOME WARRANTY" what are they nuts? there is "no fine print." noting that this is a stuctural warranty only and does not apply to fit and finish items.
Old 09-06-2007, 01:47 PM   #4
Thom

Trade: General Contractor/Homebuilder
Rewards Points: 3,190

Though there are no disclaimers on the signs, I expect there are in the fine print. Of course, many of these companies won't be around in 2 years so a 10 year warranty doesn't mean much.