NEED Business/people Looking For A Contractor To Flip Houses. Who Should I Look For?

Old 02-20-2008, 08:59 PM   #1
Licensed/Insured Builder

Trade: General Contractor
Rewards Points: 10

NEED Business/people Looking For A Contractor To Flip Houses. Who Should I Look For?

I am looking for people or businesses that are looking for a contractor to flip houses. Where would I find these people/business? I figured this might be a good place to ask.

Thanks,

Drew Harris
United Contractors
Nashville, TN ---- Birmingham, AL

Warning: The topics covered on this site include activities in which there exists the potential for serious injury or death. ContractorTalk.com DOES NOT guarantee the accuracy or completeness of any information contained on this site. Always use proper safety precaution and reference reliable outside sources before attempting any construction or remodeling task!

Old 02-20-2008, 09:03 PM   #2
Pro

Trade: General Contractor
Rewards Points: 250

Re: NEED Business/people Looking For A Contractor To Flip Houses. Who Should I Look For?

Be very careful not to give away your services. Most of what I have seen so far is that they want it done the cheapest way that they can get it so they can make more money.

You might want to look at trying to find your own flip it properties.

Old 02-20-2008, 09:03 PM   #3
Mod / ArchiBuilder

Trade: Design/Build Outdoor Living
Rewards Points: 2,070

Re: NEED Business/people Looking For A Contractor To Flip Houses. Who Should I Look For?

Why would you want to work for RE Flippers?
Old 02-20-2008, 09:04 PM   #4
Mod / ArchiBuilder

Oh yeah:
www.craigslist.com
Old 02-20-2008, 09:10 PM   #5
Pro

Trade: hjrafiuoashfed
Rewards Points: 500

A little late for that, isn't it? Looking for that kind of work today is like Osama applying for a visa on 9/12/01.

House flippers.....riiiight.
Old 02-20-2008, 09:15 PM   #6
Pro

Trade: Lic. GC/Remodr - Commercial/Residential/Industrial
Rewards Points: 2,000

Why would anyone want to be given a completely unrealistic budget to do work that requires much more funds, to be done properly?
Why would anyone who takes professional pride in quality workmanship and craftsmanship, want to work with people, who generally are trying to spend as little money as possible to make only "surface improvements" on a property that will be catered to the uninformed?
Why would anyone in the professional trades want to turn-in the satisfying feeling of a quality job well done, with the proper time put into it.....for cutting as many corners as possible, simply, to make profit?
Old 02-21-2008, 06:22 AM   #7
Sauna & Steam - Remodelin

Trade: Remodeling / Sauna & Steam
Rewards Points: 150

Name your price to do it right. Either you get the job or you don't.
Old 02-21-2008, 07:33 AM   #8

Trade: Home Remodeling and Repairs
Rewards Points: 25

a flippers made acontract
1st check good 2nd with meeting i have run out of money when i sell the house i WILLpay you the rest i end ed up really was screwed even with a contract courts could not under stand why i could not wait on the money but go finish the job with my money i did he did not sell the house for a year my money held up for one year
Old 02-21-2008, 08:05 AM   #9
Starving Tile Artist

Trade: Carpentry, Flooring & (UGLY) Tile installs.
Send a message via Yahoo to wizendwizard

HUH? English translation please!
Quote:
Originally Posted by ihms683 View Post
1st check good 2nd with meeting i have run out of money when i sell the house i WILLpay you the rest i end ed up really was screwed even with a contract courts could not under stand why i could not wait on the money but go finish the job with my money i did he did not sell the house for a year my money held up for one year
Old 02-21-2008, 08:15 AM   #10
Pro

Trade: Student
Rewards Points: 250

Actually I see alot of ads like this on craigslist here in Birmingham.

Unfortunately a only a small percentage of the people here have ever heard of it, so its not a great local resource.

You could try joing the local real estate investment group, its called the associated investors of alabama and has meetings a couple times a month.

You could follow the local paper and call the guys offering to buy houses for cash, selling investment property, etc.

You could basically create a job for yourself by finding a good deal and getting a hard money loan on it, then paying yourself to do the work. There is a really good lender of this type in town with much better than usual rates for these loans.

You could also try to sub in a remodeling trade, I see alot of ads for flooring installers for instance.

I agree with the other posters these people may be a little cheaper than most, but also have seen in bigger markets this is kind a niche thing and can pay very well
Old 02-21-2008, 08:44 AM   #11
MI Contractor

Trade: General contractor
Rewards Points: 75

as a RE investor myself, i would say that you are selling yourself short working specifically for re investors. They don't like to pay for quality work and therefore MANY (not all) are selling a shoddy product to their buyers.

If you insist upon working for an re investor, start going to the sheriffs auctions. You will meet a lot of investors there.

Knowing some of the investors around here, I will say... be careful. make sure that they pay you BEFORE you start each phase of the project. If they don't pay, the next phase of work doesn't get started PERIOD. Do not allow for any excuses, be firm and make sure your contracts are in order.

Also, once you get their names go to the county office and find out if they have had any liens put against other properties before....if they have, you have a big red flag.
Old 02-21-2008, 09:18 AM   #12

guess my friends thats why i am still in buisness i put money back to survive ido good work or i would not be in buisness for 26 years thanks
Old 02-21-2008, 09:24 AM   #13

Trade: Finish Carpenter/Custom Builder

To quote the "Wiz"

HUH!
Old 02-21-2008, 10:29 AM   #14
Custom Fence Builder

Trade: Fence Manufacture and Installation

I wouldn't work for a flipper without an escrow account.
Old 02-21-2008, 10:57 AM   #15
Project Manager HFH..

Trade: GC
Rewards Points: 2,004

Quote:
guess my friends thats why i am still in buisness i put money back to survive ido good work or i would not be in buisness for 26 years thanks
yes but how doyou be in buisness for 26 years when you comunicate like this it would be hard for customers to know whatthehell you are talking about thanks
Old 02-21-2008, 11:00 AM   #16
Mod / ArchiBuilder

Quote:
Originally Posted by JumboJack View Post
yes but how doyou be in buisness for 26 years when you comunicate like this it would be hard for customers to know whatthehell you are talking about thanks
Old 02-21-2008, 04:09 PM   #17
Pro

Quote:
Quote:
Are you typing with your toes?

Put some of that money into a typing-tutorial program and an English grammer text book....please....
Old 02-21-2008, 04:55 PM   #18

WELL WELL i dont know how to type but i sure know how to write and make money so i am not the office type for a one man operation the big cotractors keep calling me when they have problems i have a good way of talking with a poor education to allthat are so cocerned about my typing
Old 02-21-2008, 05:01 PM   #19
Pro

Quote:
WELL WELL i dont know how to type but i sure know how to write and make money so i am not the office type for a one man operation the big cotractors keep calling me when they have problems i have a good way of talking with a poor education to allthat are so cocerned about my typing
Please realize that poor typing skills are like a piece of spinach stuck between your teeth. It makes it hard to understand, pay attention, or read your posts.

When people post poorly, it's like Fingernails on a chalkboard.

Posting is communication. Proper and clear communication, is a fundemental key....to any successful business, or person who wants to be a successful business man or woman.

Please put more effort into typing your posts, for all our sakes.

Not making that effort shows a lack of respect and consideration for other members on the site.
Old 02-21-2008, 05:20 PM   #20

ionly finished a 8th grade education a mo ago iwould not try to type but i can try harder