My Yard Is Closing - Nuts. - General Discussion - Contractor Talk

My Yard Is Closing - Nuts.

Old 07-08-2015, 04:18 PM   #1
Pro

Trade: Handyman Services
Rewards Points: 13,509

My Yard Is Closing - Nuts.

I pulled into the parking lot this afternoon for my nearby "go to" yard and it was plastered with Store Closing signs. No sign of this coming yesterday. It's prime land close into DC (Arlington off I395) so I knew it would happen one day. A real kick in the gut. Place was yard + hardware + materials + all sorts of stuff nobody else would stock, a real gem. Sales start tomorrow. I'll be there at 6:00. #@#@#@#@!!!!!

"Progress". Supposedly going to be another big mixed use res-com thing.

...and my next closest yard, the "Oldest Lumberyard in Alexandria or VA or whatever" has become slow as molasses the last couple years. Can't stand it.

Last edited by MarkJames; 07-08-2015 at 04:20 PM.

Warning: The topics covered on this site include activities in which there exists the potential for serious injury or death. ContractorTalk.com DOES NOT guarantee the accuracy or completeness of any information contained on this site. Always use proper safety precaution and reference reliable outside sources before attempting any construction or remodeling task!

Advertisement

Old 07-08-2015, 06:12 PM   #2
Pro

Trade: remodeling
Rewards Points: 1,681

Re: My Yard Is Closing - Nuts.

Stock up cheap - I hope they have some great deals for you!

These closings can make for a much longer drive to get things, at least in my neck of the woods.

Advertisement

Old 07-08-2015, 07:02 PM   #3
Pro

Quote:
Originally Posted by hdavis View Post
Stock up cheap - I hope they have some great deals for you!

These closings can make for a much longer drive to get things, at least in my neck of the woods.
A longer drive for stuff is what I foresee.

As for deals, 40% off plumbing, elec & fasteners starting tomorrow. I'll be there when they open the doors, esp. for a bunch of things only they stock and I use regularly.

Old 07-08-2015, 09:19 PM   #4
Contractor

Trade: Excavation, Foundation, Concrete
Rewards Points: 1,236

That's too bad Mark, HD and Lowes pushed out a few good family owned businesses by me years ago.
The guys that are left, I use as often as I can, even if it is not the most convenient source, the service is much better.

With real estate values what they are close to the city.....you can't really blame the property owners for selling out. Too bad, just the same.

www.gebcon.com
The Following User Says Thank You to tgeb For This Useful Post:
MarkJames (07-09-2015)
Old 07-08-2015, 09:48 PM   #5
The Ultimate Wire Hider

Trade: A/V & Home Theater Installation
Rewards Points: 2,116

What's the name of the place? I might go there myself and stock up on a few things.

But I feel your pain. I feel fortunate to have a couple of "True-Value" Mom & Pop franchises on my side of the water. I feel a little guilty any time I have to to take back anything that I don't really need but any time I do, I always make it my business to spend the refund on something else on the next visit if I can't buy anything that same day. The local yards mean just that much to me.

My uncle has a very swanky house that was built in the mid 70's. All of the plumbing and electrical fixtures are high quality and they don't carry that many of the replacement parts at the big box joints. But I can always count on the local guy for things like faucet stems, cabinet hinges, mortise lock parts, etc. Really.. I feel your pain.
MarkJames (07-09-2015)
Old 07-09-2015, 12:43 AM   #6
Pro

Quote:
Originally Posted by tedanderson View Post
What's the name of the place? I might go there myself and stock up on a few things.

But I feel your pain. I feel fortunate to have a couple of "True-Value" Mom & Pop franchises on my side of the water. I feel a little guilty any time I have to to take back anything that I don't really need but any time I do, I always make it my business to spend the refund on something else on the next visit if I can't buy anything that same day. The local yards mean just that much to me.

My uncle has a very swanky house that was built in the mid 70's. All of the plumbing and electrical fixtures are high quality and they don't carry that many of the replacement parts at the big box joints. But I can always count on the local guy for things like faucet stems, cabinet hinges, mortise lock parts, etc. Really.. I feel your pain.
ABC (in Shirlington)
Old 07-09-2015, 05:00 AM   #7
Pro

Trade: Carpentry,drywall,trim. Part time painter.
Rewards Points: 1,874

I had 3 of my drywall suppliers and 2 lumberyards close shop on me when things went bad a few yrs ago. They were just minutes from my house.

I also learned not to buy/warehouse stuff because the price was right. Like caulk and glue.
Old 07-09-2015, 07:41 AM   #8
Pro

Quote:
Originally Posted by Big Shoe View Post
I had 3 of my drywall suppliers and 2 lumberyards close shop on me when things went bad a few yrs ago. They were just minutes from my house.

I also learned not to buy/warehouse stuff because the price was right. Like caulk and glue.
I agree. But how many pounds of fasteners might you buy at 40% off?
Old 07-09-2015, 08:10 AM   #9
Pro

Trade: Carpentry,drywall,trim. Part time painter.
Rewards Points: 1,874

There will be some things that you can't pass up for sure. If the price is right.

Ask them how long they will try to sell off all the inventory. Prices normally drop the longer they go.

I scored a truckload of stuff from one of my favorite mom and pop hardware stores a few yrs ago. 90% off at the end. The old guy died and the wife and kids could not sell all the stuff fast enough.

I really miss that place. It was the only hardware store in the area that I did a lot of work in. Minutes away. Now it's a 1 hour trip on a good day to the next nearest one.
Old 07-09-2015, 12:27 PM   #10
Pro

Trade: Organic Mold Farmer
Rewards Points: 4,534

Quote:
Originally Posted by tgeb View Post
HD and Lowes pushed out a few good family owned businesses by me years ago.
The guys that are left, I use as often as I can, even if it is not the most convenient source, the service is much better.
It is a shame, but everything seems to be a commodity now. I've tried to use the local hardware/lumber yard and the joke is, "I'm here to see if you guys don't have something I need"...which is the case 9 out of 10 times. So my supply runs usually entail lowes, home depot, and menards with a tile shop and woodcrafters thrown in. The tile shop also almost always doesn't have what I need either.

Stocking up is wise.
Old 07-09-2015, 01:26 PM   #11
Pro

Trade: Windows, Doors, Siding, Enclosures
Rewards Points: 2,936

All of the great yards around here are gone as well. There are still a couple of them around, but they are way out of the way for sure.

I'm lucky though.... our sister company is one of the better wholesale molding and millwork shops in town. Usually, almost anything I ever need, I can walk out my office door and grab it out of their warehouse. It's always better quality than what's at a big box (even if they were to have it) and even though I pay the same thing they charge their regular customers, it's always cheaper than a big box.

On the rare occasion when I need "two by" material, I always TRY and hit one of the small yards. Unfortunately, the big box stores are usually closer to a job, so on that kind of thing, I generally go there.

Hope you score all kinds of great deals on stuff you need.
Originally Posted by TNTSERVICES View Post
As accomplishments go, getting me to talk is an easy one.
Old 07-09-2015, 03:56 PM   #12
Pro

Quote:
Originally Posted by CO762 View Post
It is a shame, but everything seems to be a commodity now. I've tried to use the local hardware/lumber yard and the joke is, "I'm here to see if you guys don't have something I need"...which is the case 9 out of 10 times. So my supply runs usually entail lowes, home depot, and menards with a tile shop and woodcrafters thrown in. The tile shop also almost always doesn't have what I need either.

Stocking up is wise.
I just realized this: Arlington, VA "proper" has no tile suppliers (zero), no plumbing suppliers, one electrical supply, no appliance parts stores, no home centers...two basic hardware stores (that I can think of), one countertop place (retail), and soon to have zero lumber yards. Now that my yard will be gone, I will always have to travel out of county for stuff. Not that the borders are too far, but those county offerings are limited, too. Pathetic.
Old 07-09-2015, 08:07 PM   #13
Pro

Quote:
Originally Posted by MarkJames View Post
Now that my yard will be gone, I will always have to travel out of county for stuff. Not that the borders are too far, but those county offerings are limited, too. Pathetic.
Land may be too valuable to waste space on that. Looks like a trailer or a wood delivery may be in your future. So you did say you wanted a shop/bigger storage area, right? I've had to make it a habit of buying things I'll be using in the future, often in quantity. Have I mentioned storage?.......
MarkJames (07-10-2015)
Old 07-09-2015, 09:30 PM   #14
Pro

Trade: remodeling
Rewards Points: 1,681

Quote:
Some of the mud will mold, too.
Old 07-09-2015, 09:45 PM   #15
I like Green things

Trade: Architectural Mill Work
Rewards Points: 4,106

My lumber yard (just one block north) has been buying up other lumber yards and shows no signs of going away.

Millshop is 5 blocks the other way, hardware store downtown.
Old 07-09-2015, 10:20 PM   #16
Pro

Trade: I'll do that for 500 bucks.
Rewards Points: 7,994

Jeez, I don't know how you guys in the big city operate.

We have less than 10,000 people in our town and we have two lumberyards. The main one expanded a year or two ago and bought up three surrounding blocks. They have a better useful selection of the things I need daily than the big box stores. They also have a very knowledgeable staff and a great family like atmosphere. They also will order whatever I need.

In the local metro area we have probably at least a dozen of any type of supplier you can ask for.
Old 07-10-2015, 08:35 AM   #17
Pro

Quote:
Lumber too. Some sell their culls as marked, others have "season/year end specials" where their culls/returns/rejects are sold. Some of their caulks, glues and other items could have been bought, not used, let freeze then return later. But to be fair, that could be that way with most stores that take returns. No way to know with that from any store, but places that buy factory rejects and take donations/tax write offs could be pretty suspect. I've seen a lot of things outside those places that shouldn't be.

Advertisement