A Million Bux In Wasted Glass!

Old 04-06-2008, 11:38 AM   #1

Trade: Window Restoration
Rewards Points: 10

A Million Bux In Wasted Glass!

I will never forget one consulting job I was called in on down in PA. It was dark glass. After construction the people learned that the concrete was leaching minerals from the micropores due to acid rain. This left hard water spots over all the glass. First thing to do was to seal the concrete with a silane sealer. (silicon based;...same as the glass;...and the hard water deposits/silicates) Of course the silane based sealant dripped down over all the windows. Along came a company with a commercial wonder product based on hydroflouric acid. It took everything off. But left clear impressions on the glass where the spots and lines were. The effect was an orange peal surface with "banding". Permanant! Not good! This is just one kind of horror show that could happen to you as a contractor. Don't let it. Any type of glass etchant should never be used on window glass. If you hire out to a window cleaning company or anyone else to take spots off new or old glass, never let them use crude abrasives or glass etchants. Sometimes buildings are put up and sit for years before being finished. The glass might even be stored for a year or more before being used. The surfaces can be damaged from storage too. Windows cost megabux. Always protect your investment. I'm always looking to help you guys out in any way I can. I had a wonderful man build my father inlaws house for us. You can never over estimate the value of a good contractor!

Henry Grover Jr.

Warning: The topics covered on this site include activities in which there exists the potential for serious injury or death. ContractorTalk.com DOES NOT guarantee the accuracy or completeness of any information contained on this site. Always use proper safety precaution and reference reliable outside sources before attempting any construction or remodeling task!

Advertisement

Old 04-06-2008, 11:44 AM   #2
DGR,IABD

Trade: Electrical; Commercial and Residential Service
Rewards Points: 2,002

Re: A Million Bux In Wasted Glass!

I bumped into a stack of curtainwall glass leaning up against a wall with a scissors lift and broke a few. That's my only glass story.

Advertisement

Old 04-06-2008, 12:00 PM   #3
Pro

Trade: Squirrel Handler
Rewards Points: 2,000

I just happen to have a good glass story. I replaced a glass block window in a bathroom in my apartment building, I just finished mortaring it in and was getting ready to put some temporary bracing on the outside until the mortar cured. Just as I got outside the lady upstairs came home and as usual slammed the door to her apartment. The door on the unit I was working on was open, and when someone slams a door it creates a "breeze" and travels through the common area and usually results in the main front door banging a bit. Since my door was open the air went into the unit I was working on and blew out the glass block window, I was right below it and "caught" it, bursting tons of capillaries in my hands before it fell to the ground and broke. Not done yet, I put the broken pieces of glass into a "contractor grade trash bag" (those thick ones) and on the way to dispose of it a piece of the glass popped out and sliced a large gash in my leg, couldn't tape it shut so I had to get it stitched up.

The moral of the story: I'm an idiot.

Old 04-06-2008, 01:33 PM   #4
Pro

Trade: masonry
Rewards Points: 1,136

Speaking of Glass.. where's he been lately?
http://www.concretecountertopsdesign.com/
Old 04-06-2008, 02:53 PM   #5
Pro

Trade: Boss
Rewards Points: 510

Afew years ago , when I worked in house at a big insurance company in Harford. They decided to have the skylight in the atrium replaced. It is about 30 feet long and 15 feet wide and domed. The company doing it set up pipe staging and went at it. Well the glass they were using was some type of plexi. Someone decided to unpackage it at their yard and inspect it before sending it to the job. They peeled all the protective plastic off the panels, then restacked them on a truck. The panels went in and sure as hell you could see a bunch of sracthes in them. The project manager went ape sheet! So the company decided to buff the scratches out. after they did this they realised that they buffed all the uv coating off. The sun was brutal in the atrium. After a lot of meetings they finally replaced it all. But then it leaked like a s.o.b! I don't miss that place.

Last edited by mikec; 04-06-2008 at 02:55 PM. Reason: spelling
Old 04-06-2008, 04:23 PM   #6
Pro

Trade: Bathroom Remodeling
Rewards Points: 2,000

Quote:
Originally Posted by mickeyco View Post
I just happen to have a good glass story. I replaced a glass block window in a bathroom in my apartment building, I just finished mortaring it in and was getting ready to put some temporary bracing on the outside until the mortar cured. Just as I got outside the lady upstairs came home and as usual slammed the door to her apartment. The door on the unit I was working on was open, and when someone slams a door it creates a "breeze" and travels through the common area and usually results in the main front door banging a bit. Since my door was open the air went into the unit I was working on and blew out the glass block window, I was right below it and "caught" it, bursting tons of capillaries in my hands before it fell to the ground and broke. Not done yet, I put the broken pieces of glass into a "contractor grade trash bag" (those thick ones) and on the way to dispose of it a piece of the glass popped out and sliced a large gash in my leg, couldn't tape it shut so I had to get it stitched up.

The moral of the story: I'm an idiot.
Yow!

One more good reason to go with acrylic glass block windows. We order them custom made like a regular window and they install like a replacement window.

Son of a bitch you must have had a hard time not taking a hammer to that woman!
Old 04-06-2008, 04:31 PM   #7

Trade: Window Restoration
Rewards Points: 10

Mickeyco, That was indeed a horror story. I have nightmares like that. I hope you recovered well enough. Md, good humor. I look forward to your posts. Mikec, that is a VERY interesting story. It shows where I REALLY want to go with this biz of mine. Follow the glazing from beginning to end in a timely, efficient way. Protect the assetts of the contractor! And sixstring, have you seen on the net that horse shoe made of glass that sticks out from the edge of the Grande Canyon called the Skywalk? Does anyone know the name of the contracting company that built that??!!

Henry Grover Jr.
henrygroverjr@gmail.com
Old 04-07-2008, 09:31 AM   #8
New Guy

Trade: general contractor
Rewards Points: 25

I had a homeowner that wanted to help me take out a basement window. It was all loose and ready to slide out ,for some reason the homeowner thought he should pry on it ,and by the time I said "don't do tha" is about when them pane of glass broke ,it shattered and sent glass particles into my face and eyelids.

Advertisement