Metal Panels - General Discussion - Contractor Talk

Metal Panels

Old 01-28-2018, 03:36 PM   #1
Artist and not a curator

Trade: Carpentry,
Rewards Points: 6,962

Metal Panels

I thought about putting this in roofing and then thought about putting it in siding and figured it belongs in both.

I found a manufacturer who isn't too far from me. I could order online and get the stuff cheaper then if I order from my local building supply house. Has anyone ever ordered metal online? Pro's/Con's?

I love the online stuff but also want to keep money as close to local as possible. These local guys need to realize that online stuff is the way to go, it's just soooo much easier if I don't have to stop and play phone tag.

Warning: The topics covered on this site include activities in which there exists the potential for serious injury or death. ContractorTalk.com DOES NOT guarantee the accuracy or completeness of any information contained on this site. Always use proper safety precaution and reference reliable outside sources before attempting any construction or remodeling task!

Advertisement

Old 01-28-2018, 05:37 PM   #2
Pro

Trade: Exterior Remodeling
Rewards Points: 1,340

Re: Metal Panels

Quote:
Originally Posted by Deckhead View Post
I thought about putting this in roofing and then thought about putting it in siding and figured it belongs in both.

I found a manufacturer who isn't too far from me. I could order online and get the stuff cheaper then if I order from my local building supply house. Has anyone ever ordered metal online? Pro's/Con's?

I love the online stuff but also want to keep money as close to local as possible. These local guys need to realize that online stuff is the way to go, it's just soooo much easier if I don't have to stop and play phone tag.
What kind of panel are you talking? How does it all figure out cost wise with shipping , and then customer service. I don't mind paying more if the service is really good. But I am with you sometime buying on line makes a big different and with people price shopping a job now days it can mean the difference between getting a job or not and making good money on it.

Advertisement

Old 01-28-2018, 07:15 PM   #3

Trade: Awnings
Rewards Points: 154

The local guys are ordering it from the manufacturer.

We buy metal panels from several difference suppliers and use them for awnings/carports/canopy covers. They are the same thing as roofing or siding materials. It is far cheaper to buy from the manufacturer and for an item such as this their would be no reason to buy from the "Middle Man".

Old 01-28-2018, 11:13 PM   #4
Artist and not a curator

Quote:
Originally Posted by Randy Bush View Post
What kind of panel are you talking? How does it all figure out cost wise with shipping , and then customer service. I don't mind paying more if the service is really good. But I am with you sometime buying on line makes a big different and with people price shopping a job now days it can mean the difference between getting a job or not and making good money on it.
PBR panel. I don't deal with metal much so won't mislead the manufacturing salesman that I do which is one of my concerns because I won't ever buy a lot by metal guy standards. It's for a couple of my own projects on our property. I would however get them more orders if it works out because my family and friends involved in ag.

I bought our roof metal from local supply this year and their support is trash. It has only gotten worse over the past decade but wasn't that way before. They used to be top notch but now it's just like, "well, you aren't one of the big players here so you don't matter".
Old 01-29-2018, 07:32 AM   #5
Pro

Trade: Carpentry
Rewards Points: 428

I always try to support local. If it is out of the ballpark, I will go outside my local area.

You need to figure, there is always someone a little cheaper. Not always the same thing, just a lower bottom line, at first.

To me, it's worth something to have a person I can look in the eye, give a call, send a text, basically just have a contact person.
Old 01-29-2018, 07:57 AM   #6
Pro

Trade: Custom
Rewards Points: 29,644

Quote:
Originally Posted by Deckhead View Post
PBR panel. I don't deal with metal much so won't mislead the manufacturing salesman that I do which is one of my concerns because I won't ever buy a lot by metal guy standards. It's for a couple of my own projects on our property. I would however get them more orders if it works out because my family and friends involved in ag.

I bought our roof metal from local supply this year and their support is trash. It has only gotten worse over the past decade but wasn't that way before. They used to be top notch but now it's just like, "well, you aren't one of the big players here so you don't matter".
You might get them to take an order (salesman like to sell and find ways to justify it to their boss), but they aren't going to sell it to you for less than they can sell it to their distributors... they have to support their actual bread and butter, which is their distribution channel and are unlikely to want to mess with that for no volume...

But you never know until you ask...
Old 01-29-2018, 08:54 PM   #7
Artist and not a curator

Quote:
Originally Posted by KAP View Post
You might get them to take an order (salesman like to sell and find ways to justify it to their boss), but they aren't going to sell it to you for less than they can sell it to their distributors... they have to support their actual bread and butter, which is their distribution channel and are unlikely to want to mess with that for no volume...

But you never know until you ask...
That was about the local building supply house. I used to buy a bunch of stuff from them but for the past 6 years pretty much buy only hardwoods so I don't deal with them much. When I did for our house... It was awful.
Old 02-09-2018, 01:26 PM   #8

Trade: Metal Buildings
Rewards Points: 18
Smile

When it comes to metal panesl, there are a variety of designs and colors. PBR panels are the most popular; however, you can see the screws making it not seamless.

Last edited by Tinstaafl; 02-09-2018 at 06:39 PM. Reason: Remove link
Old 02-10-2018, 08:26 AM   #9
Pro

Trade: General Contractor
Rewards Points: 1,029

Deck, which local supply house are you dealing with?
I have a guy in Tampa that I go to for metal roofing.

Advertisement