Made In USA, Contractors Here To Stay!

Old 07-27-2009, 09:52 PM   #1
MyOnlineToolbox cofounder

Trade: contractor marketing, website education & strategy
Rewards Points: 2,828

Made In USA, Contractors Here To Stay!

Rarely does a few weeks go by where some foreign company calls me to outsource our programming to another country. Many American's have been so shortsighted on small financial gains that we have given (and I emphasize "given") away all forms of manufacturing and service from Apparel, TVs, Furniture and even hospitals now send emergency room Xrays out of the country to get opinions. It turns my stomach on how stupid as a country we have been while others politely laugh in our face. And why not? They are taking everything with no mercy.

While many think we as a country have saved money, I believe we have given away the heart of what keeps lower to middle class working people from being employed. And now look where the short term greed has gotten us.

Other countries still are trying to chip away at us until we have been brought to our knees.

I am proud to say that 100% of my company's development, testing, etc., stays within the country.

The way I feel is that contracting is a business that requires a physical presence and can not be outsourced to a foreign country (at least without the labor coming to us) so I have lived by a principal of Made in America for American labor for the American consumer.

While I could have saved money over the years, I felt keeping my business in our country at all costs is the most patriotic thing to do in a time where many have let patriotism float away in the wind.

I have been failry polite when I get the phone calls and lately am getting more annoyed and less diplomatic becuase I treat the calls as another form of attack on our country, not just a solicitation to save money.

I just had to vent to the one group who may appreciate my stance.

Brian
App-ironworks (02-25-2010), Cdat (07-28-2009), DaveVB (02-25-2010), DavidC (07-28-2009), Handymanservice (07-28-2009), J.C. (02-26-2010), john5mt (07-28-2009), jtpro (07-28-2009), LadyFinisher (07-28-2009), mccarty.74 (07-28-2009), nEighter (07-28-2009), RayGoerdt (07-27-2009), rbsremodeling (07-28-2009), RCPainting (08-09-2009), Renegade 1 LI (02-26-2010), Resta (08-09-2009), RickS (07-28-2009), RippySkippy (07-28-2009), s.kelly (02-27-2010), shovel13 (02-25-2010), SLSTech (07-28-2009), THINKPAINTING (02-26-2010), TileLady (07-28-2009), tinner666 (07-28-2009), Tom R (08-09-2009), wallmaxx (07-28-2009), WarriorWithWood (07-31-2009)

Warning: The topics covered on this site include activities in which there exists the potential for serious injury or death. ContractorTalk.com DOES NOT guarantee the accuracy or completeness of any information contained on this site. Always use proper safety precaution and reference reliable outside sources before attempting any construction or remodeling task!

Advertisement

Old 07-28-2009, 07:55 AM   #2
Pro

Trade: Remodeling
Rewards Points: 1,000

Re: Made In USA, Contractors Here To Stay!

I find the the majority of my customers will spend the extra money for "Made in the USA" products as long as I make it know right up front that I buy American.

Advertisement

When you rob Peter to pay Paul, chances are pretty good you will receive Paul's vote. Apparently the object of the game is to create more Pauls than Peters....What happens when the Peters can no longer support the Pauls? .
Old 07-28-2009, 08:16 AM   #3

Trade: concrete accessories hardware
Rewards Points: 10

Quote:
Originally Posted by MOTB View Post
Rarely does a few weeks go by where some foreign company calls me to outsource our programming to another country. Many American's have been so shortsighted on small financial gains that we have given (and I emphasize "given") away all forms of manufacturing and service from Apparel, TVs, Furniture and even hospitals now send emergency room Xrays out of the country to get opinions. It turns my stomach on how stupid as a country we have been while others politely laugh in our face. And why not? They are taking everything with no mercy.

While many think we as a country have saved money, I believe we have given away the heart of what keeps lower to middle class working people from being employed. And now look where the short term greed has gotten us.

Other countries still are trying to chip away at us until we have been brought to our knees.

I am proud to say that 100% of my company's development, testing, etc., stays within the country.

The way I feel is that contracting is a business that requires a physical presence and can not be outsourced to a foreign country (at least without the labor coming to us) so I have lived by a principal of Made in America for American labor for the American consumer.

While I could have saved money over the years, I felt keeping my business in our country at all costs is the most patriotic thing to do in a time where many have let patriotism float away in the wind.

I have been failry polite when I get the phone calls and lately am getting more annoyed and less diplomatic becuase I treat the calls as another form of attack on our country, not just a solicitation to save money.

I just had to vent to the one group who may appreciate my stance.

Brian
I agree with your opinion. but as you know, if you want high quality parts in your country, you are safe stragic, there have some low risk to do this. but you want to buy normal parts, I suggest that you buy some parts from foreign company. it is best profit.

Old 07-28-2009, 09:44 AM   #4
Tiling & Bath Contractor

Trade: Tiling & Bathroom Remodeling
Rewards Points: 250

Quote:
Originally Posted by concrete21 View Post
I agree with your opinion. but as you know, if you want high quality parts in your country, you are safe stragic, there have some low risk to do this. but you want to buy normal parts, I suggest that you buy some parts from foreign company. it is best profit.
This is exactly why I agree with Brian's post!
Old 07-28-2009, 10:14 AM   #5
Professional Instigator

Trade: Design Build Remodeling Contractor DC MD
Rewards Points: 2,000

Quote:
Originally Posted by TileLady View Post
This is exactly why I agree with Brian's post!
Yep I was thinking the same thing he missed the point of Brian's post

Old 07-28-2009, 11:26 AM   #6
egotistical prick

Trade: Wood Inlay

Quote:
I agree with your opinion. but as you know, if you want high quality parts in your country, you are safe stragic, there have some low risk to do this. but you want to buy normal parts, I suggest that you buy some parts from foreign company. it is best profit (for you).
YOU are exactly what he's talking about, bub.
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Cdat For This Useful Post:
boman47k (02-25-2010), jtpro (07-28-2009)
Old 07-28-2009, 02:47 PM   #7
Pro

Trade: Licensed Remodeling Contractor
Rewards Points: 97

We have been so very disenchanted with the phenomenon of "Hey, it's a cheaper price, why should i pay more?" Very few people THINK about this decision beyond their own wallet. We call it a mental disease due to the fact that all logical thought halts and the brain shuts down.

Whenever we shop at Costco, HD, Lowes or Ace Hardware, we check the packaging to see if it's made in China. At times, it is difficult to locate the manufacturing mark. Every attempt is made to buy "Made in the USA". A lot of times this costs us more at the point of sale-BUT IT'S WORTH THE EFFORT. We prefer 1. USA 2. Germany 3. Japan 4.Italy 5.Other European made. The focus is ALWAYS to NOT buy China.(UNLESS it's Chinese food!)

WE NEVER EVER ENTER A WALMART!
Next time you rent a DVD, attempt to locate "WAL-MART The High Cost Of Low Price". It will definitely open your eyes and hopefully will make you change your thought process when you consider your purchases.

Just my two cents. Now I gotta go bend some nails.
Old 07-28-2009, 02:56 PM   #8
Pro

Trade: Remodeling

Quote:
Originally Posted by Big Rig View Post
We have been so very disenchanted with the phenomenon of "Hey, it's a cheaper price, why should i pay more?" Very few people THINK about this decision beyond their own wallet. We call it a mental disease due to the fact that all logical thought halts and the brain shuts down.

Whenever we shop at Costco, HD, Lowes or Ace Hardware, we check the packaging to see if it's made in China. At times, it is difficult to locate the manufacturing mark. Every attempt is made to buy "Made in the USA". A lot of times this costs us more at the point of sale-BUT IT'S WORTH THE EFFORT. We prefer 1. USA 2. Germany 3. Japan 4.Italy 5.Other European made. The focus is ALWAYS to NOT buy China.(UNLESS it's Chinese food!)

WE NEVER EVER ENTER A WALMART!
Next time you rent a DVD, attempt to locate "WAL-MART The High Cost Of Low Price". It will definitely open your eyes and hopefully will make you change your thought process when you consider your purchases.

Just my two cents. Now I gotta go bend some nails.
Contrary to belief wally world does carry products made in the US. Costco, blowes and the depot are no better than wally world about it..they pound a supplier into submission for the lowest price. Some US manufacturers just can't get there. I usually buy American, Canadian and then go to the European countries.
When you rob Peter to pay Paul, chances are pretty good you will receive Paul's vote. Apparently the object of the game is to create more Pauls than Peters....What happens when the Peters can no longer support the Pauls? .
Old 07-28-2009, 05:29 PM   #9

I just got this today (abbreviated to get to the point).
I tried to reach the person back (and have done so with others to have fun) and of course there is always someone else who tells you that Jonathan is out but they can help. Maybe it's me .... but I didn't know that Jonathan is a popular name in Bangalore. Possibly there is a new immigration wave we do not know about in the reverse direction? I heard that many foreign countries are having a hard time getting even cheaper labor, so perhaps they are now hiring the US workers for a song?

Subject: Business Proposal.

I am Jonathan from Bangalore, India and would like to have an initial call with you to discuss possible outsourcing opportunities. Could you please let us know your convenient date and time for a brief Telecon?

Jonathan R
Business Development Team
Inv***x Pvt. Ltd.,

PS. I changed a few letters above in the ***xx to avoid challenges. Brian
Old 07-28-2009, 05:43 PM   #10
Pro

Trade: Roofer, Domains and Hosting

COncrete21 seems to have lost it, methinks.
Old 07-28-2009, 10:46 PM   #11
CAD Services

Trade: So done with this place...
Rewards Points: 144

Quote:
Am I reading this correctly, or is English a Second Language to you? ESL?
Old 07-29-2009, 05:53 AM   #12
egotistical prick

Quote:
Originally Posted by wallmaxx View Post
Am I reading this correctly, or is English a Second Language to you? ESL?
Follow his links. He's a Chinese company. Most likely from their government 'monitering' us. Why he is even allowed on here is beyond me.
Old 07-29-2009, 07:23 AM   #13
egotistical prick

I've been saying it for years but mostly in the P & R section where I'm considered....odd.... for my sense of humor.

Buy American. If you make a little extra money buying your supplies overseas, you lose it to a decrease in customers who can afford your services. I've always owned an American car. I buy my produce from local farmer's markets. It is just common sense. Support each other. The ONLY people to make money purchasing stuff overseas, are the executives owning the company and the workers in the overseas factories. Guess what? None of them are gonna' hire you to build them something.

How do you like it when someone hires an Mexican to do your job? Same thing.
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Cdat For This Useful Post:
JDavis21835 (07-31-2009), PA woodbutcher (07-30-2009)
Old 07-30-2009, 03:42 AM   #14

Trade: concrete accessories hardware
Rewards Points: 10

I can sure to tell you, there have many agent or trader to buy parts from china then sell to you. he can tell you usa quality, india quality, it is duck to say, all of parts is made in china.
also i did not agree to how low quality in china, you need to sure, one cost for one quality.
Old 07-30-2009, 03:54 AM   #15
Pro

Trade: Landscaping
Rewards Points: 500

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cdat View Post
Buy American.
Agreed, and if the product you seek isn't made in the USA then support one of Americas oldest allies. The Germans. Yes, not only did we help America win independence from the British (Hessian and Prussian mercenaries fought for Washington and trained US troops) but we also make great cars, trucks, tools, and electronics. Inside every German, is an American trying to get out.
Old 07-30-2009, 06:16 AM   #16
Pro

Trade: Plastering, Drywall, Painting, Woodworking, Stucco
Rewards Points: 1,196

Like I have said for years, The problems with OUR Country is the People we elect to the Congress and the Senate, But so many focuse on the President, who isn't sh*t, People need to know that these two groups control what happens in the USA, No one else. Intil these old timers like Levin and Kennedy Pelosie things are always going to be wrong for the American People we need People who are for America and the People not what's in it for the Congress or Senate member. They talk about National Health care, why is it the People of this Country don't have Health care like those in the Congress and the Senate? So as for this Government this is where the problem lies, always has always will intil the People of this Country come together and throw these Blood Suckers out on their ear. Man it's nice to Dream, cause People aint gonna take a stand intil it's to late
The Following User Says Thank You to Frankawitz For This Useful Post:
LJSMITH1 (08-07-2009)
Old 07-30-2009, 06:17 AM   #17
President of the world

Trade: general contractor
Rewards Points: 2,001

Quote:
Originally Posted by BobsLandscaping View Post
Agreed, and if the product you seek isn't made in the USA then support one of Americas oldest allies. The Germans. Yes, not only did we help America win independence from the British (Hessian and Prussian mercenaries fought for Washington and trained US troops) but we also make great cars, trucks, tools, and electronics. Inside every German, is an American trying to get out.
buy german, huh? so i could get a volkswagon, some festool, a couple sham-wow's, eat some bratwurst and kick back a Schwarzbier? sounds good to me
Old 07-30-2009, 01:53 PM   #18

I was able to pick up a used 2005 Grand AM with just 22,000 miles on it for 5K, final with taxes, tags, etc. Older couple used the car as a spare. I went to all the high end lots (BMWs, Porshe, Mercedes) who will do anything to sell an expensive car, including giving a big incentive for a trade-in, then they dump it to minimize the loss. That is the best place to do deals since the last thing they want is used American cars on their lots. Car is in immaculate condition, and even if something goes wrong, it will be worth what I paid. Plus it makes me feel good to keep the service towards the American brand. Brian
Old 07-30-2009, 05:55 PM   #19
Tool Junkie

Trade: Framing, finish carpentry, hardwood floors, tile
Rewards Points: 25

As a manufacturer, I can tell you that an interesting trend we've found - It's not always the case anymore to find parts cheaper when you buy outside of the US...

If all manufacturers did their due diligence in shopping around for parts locally first, many would find you can make your product with 100% USA parts for oftentimes the same price or sometimes lower.

The SawGear is made in USA 100%, and we really aren't even considering outside parts for this reason.
Old 07-30-2009, 09:14 PM   #20
egotistical prick

Quote:
Originally Posted by BobsLandscaping View Post
I re-enlisted twice in Germany and spent a total of 7 years there. Nice place. I liked the topless beaches the most.

Advertisement