Lowe's Is Closing Two Stores In Manchester, NH Area

Old 10-17-2011, 07:51 AM   #1
Pro

Trade: Remodeling
Rewards Points: 254

Lowe's Is Closing Two Stores In Manchester, NH Area

Although I do not feel happy about all the people losing their jobs...
I cannot help but feel a little giddy about Lowe's getting a little of their own medicine.

Warning: The topics covered on this site include activities in which there exists the potential for serious injury or death. ContractorTalk.com DOES NOT guarantee the accuracy or completeness of any information contained on this site. Always use proper safety precaution and reference reliable outside sources before attempting any construction or remodeling task!

Advertisement

Old 10-17-2011, 08:10 AM   #2
Pro

Trade: Construction
Rewards Points: 26

Re: Lowe's Is Closing Two Stores In Manchester, NH Area

Good and they deserve it. I have to use lowes more than I really like and even though I get 25% off all materials from complaining so much nothing ever changes there. Materials are still poor quality, staff are useless and can't ever be arsed to do their jobs. The ones who work at the contractors desks in the 3 lowes near to me all think they are the king daddy of construction. Includeing the women! They all stand behind that desk talking crap whilst there's 20 contractors trying to check out yet none of them will open a second lane unless they are friends with this person. Then right after they close it! The sales people at the checkout would rather scan each and every one of the 200 studs instead of count them and enter the amount! 30mins to scan 200 studs! She messed it up 3 times in a row! I have blew my top in these places more times than I can remember but even with 25% off already price Matched prices it's still not worth the hassle latley. I stood in there for an hour just 2 days ago for a $15 refund. This happens about 4x a month where they have products listed for wrong price on shelf then charge more at checkout

Right that's my rant over. F**k em

Advertisement

Old 10-17-2011, 08:20 AM   #3
Pro

Trade: Licensed Contractor
Rewards Points: 500

Quote:
Originally Posted by SDC View Post
I cannot help but feel a little giddy about Lowe's getting a little of their own medicine.
The only difference is, Lowe's closing down is likely related to the lack of construction in general... not due to a competitor. I know nothing of your area, so I may be wrong. However I feel this may be a sign of things to come.
Old 10-17-2011, 08:27 AM   #4
Pro

Quote:
Originally Posted by kcremodeling View Post
The only difference is, Lowe's closing down is likely related to the lack of construction in general... not due to a competitor. I know nothing of your area, so I may be wrong. However I feel this may be a sign of things to come.

It def ain't helped but the biggest reason I will guess is the way they place them. If I'm at any of the lowes in my area I can get to the others in 15mins and right next to each of these lowes is a HD!

What lowes seem to forget is that big jobs like contractors do are what keep these guys running. Most of the stuff lowes sell to general public can be had online much cheaper. Where as us contractors have to buy from the store. Our work has dropped and so has theirs. Plus it don't help that the good contractors who still have work are not using them as much as there prices are going through the roof and customer service is awful.
kcremodeling (10-17-2011)
Old 10-17-2011, 08:32 AM   #5
Pro

Trade: Architectural historian
Rewards Points: 456

The Lowes in my neck of the woods is woefully understaffed, and the people who work there know next to nothing about their departments. Very disappointing.

What's really *sickening* is that these Lowes (and other big-box hardware stores) decimated the old Mom and Pop hardware stores, where service was first class and the owners/workers knew their business. And, the people in that store had an "ownership mentality" and actually gave a rat's arse about your being satisfied with your purchases.

I have a distant, faint but happy memory of parking IN FRONT of a hardware store and going inside and getting what I need without walking 1.8 miles down a cavernous aisle and having a happy little chit-chat with the clerk (who was a pleasant gray-haired gent) and then returning to my vehicle with a smile on my face.

Ah, those were the days.

Rose
The Following User Says Thank You to rosethornva For This Useful Post:
Tom Struble (10-17-2011)
Old 10-17-2011, 08:36 AM   #6
Finishing Carpenter

Trade: finishing Carpenter
Rewards Points: 696

wow, and there is a massive new Lowes opening in my area sometime soon. (West coast, Canada) This will be the first one in our area.

I am a little bit surprised, as there are lots of HD's, and Rona's (smaller HD like store) as well as several independant lumber yards.

Perhaps Lowes marketing folks figured that the local economy was healthy enough to make such a large investment? dunno.

Where they are putting up their new building is on a huge Island with the Fraser river going around both sides. It's essentially a sand delta! they've driven poles down several feet to support the footings.

I've worked on a house in that area. Good luck chuck.

Fifteen years on, the crown was peeling off of the ceiling, one of the bearing walls had moved to the point that the pocket door would no longer work, and you could see where the ceiling truss's were through the drywall.

The HO was telling me that a lot of his neighbours homes were having similiar issues.

Maybe a larger building won't sink? time will tell
Old 10-17-2011, 09:00 AM   #7
Pro

Trade: Remodeling
Rewards Points: 254

Both of the Lowe's in Question were placed within a mile of an existing HD
And the one that is now closed has only be up and running for about 1.5 years....the one closing next month has only been open about 3yrs....

Both are/were brand new buildings.....
Old 10-17-2011, 10:58 AM   #8
Thom

Trade: General Contractor/Homebuilder
Rewards Points: 3,998

Many things I don't understand about the OP.

Why would you buy 100 studs from Lowes? Don't you have a local yard that will deliver them? Why would you ask construction questions to clerks? Their job is stocking shelves and operating cash registers, not constructing things.

Maybe things here are different. Within 5 miles of my house I have 3 HD's 1 Lowes and one large Ace hardware. Between 5 miles away and 10 miles there is another 2 Lowes and another Hardware store and three lumber yards. The three lumber yards all deliver. Within 10 miles of my house I have 3 plumbing supply houses, 3 electrical supply houses, 2 hvac supply houses, 2 plumbing/mechanical parts suppliers, and 3 tile wholesalers.

Maybe construction is easier here. Certainly getting materials is not complicated.
Old 10-17-2011, 02:40 PM   #9
Pro

Quote:
Originally Posted by thom View Post
Many things I don't understand about the OP.

Why would you buy 100 studs from Lowes? Don't you have a local yard that will deliver them? Why would you ask construction questions to clerks? Their job is stocking shelves and operating cash registers, not constructing things.

Maybe things here are different. Within 5 miles of my house I have 3 HD's 1 Lowes and one large Ace hardware. Between 5 miles away and 10 miles there is another 2 Lowes and another Hardware store and three lumber yards. The three lumber yards all deliver. Within 10 miles of my house I have 3 plumbing supply houses, 3 electrical supply houses, 2 hvac supply houses, 2 plumbing/mechanical parts suppliers, and 3 tile wholesalers.

Maybe construction is easier here. Certainly getting materials is not complicated.
It was 200 studs not 100 but anyway i bought them there Friday night because it was 8.30pm and our local pro build is closed at 5.00pm and i don't ever ask them questions about anything related to construction. i hear them talking about stuff related to construction and non of them have the first clue what they are talking about. you do know that Lowe's will deliver 7 days a week and for free. not that i use them for delivery's but they will do it. It's hard not to use them for some things though as they will do it 25% cheaper than anywhere else local to me. as an example i get 8x4 1/2 drywall for $3.84 from them. cheapest i can get it from drywall supplier is $5.17. these savings soon add up and its the exact same drywall so you would have to be silly not to get it from them.
Old 10-17-2011, 04:10 PM   #10
manipulator of wood

Trade: general contractor

wow. 3.84 for drywall. here in jersey its close to 7 a sheet.
and lowes is closing 20 stres throughout the country. one here in jersey
Old 10-17-2011, 05:00 PM   #11
Pro

Quote:
Originally Posted by ISM37 View Post
wow. 3.84 for drywall. here in jersey its close to 7 a sheet.
and lowes is closing 20 stres throughout the country. one here in jersey
Yep lowes normal price is 7.40ea. They price match to local drywall supplier and with 10% off and then they take another 25% of that price.
Old 10-17-2011, 08:11 PM   #12
Pro

Trade: Painting Contractor

2 closed in IL early this year and two more just announce actually closed yesterday.

Aurora, IL and Oswego, IL both are in my general area for work... hate to see people loss there jobs especially heading towards the holidays and hate to see big empty buildings we have enough of those in the Sw and W suburbs of Chicago...

HD's are understaffed but it seems like Menards keeps plugging along.

I still use small independent store for my paint, but its hard not have to stop for something and hit the big box store...
Old 10-17-2011, 09:44 PM   #13

Trade: Residential Remodeling
Rewards Points: 10

They're closing the one up in Claremont (NH) too. I don't think the store's been open a year.

And yea, you can stand in the parking lot of these Lowe's, and throw a tape measure into the parking lot of the Home Depot right next store. Never did understand that.

Nothing new though, mcdonalds and burger king have been playing that game for decades.

Lowe's, along with a lot of the rest of us, must have thought things would have been starting to recover by now.

As far as the NH economy, it really isn't that bad. Our unemployement rate was 5.3% in august.

The Home depots and lumber yards I go into, while not going gangbusters, always seem busy enough. I don't get why Lowe's is pulling up stakes.

Of course, I don't think they'll be selling the properties, and will probably re-open when things do recover.

Last edited by Starvin Marvin; 10-17-2011 at 10:05 PM. Reason: correction
Old 10-17-2011, 09:59 PM   #14
Pro

Trade: Carpenter
Rewards Points: 75

It looks like thy are actually 3 closing. http://www.wmur.com/money/29506967/detail.html

There will still be 10 lowes left in NH, after Manchester, Hooksett, and Claremont are closed.

I feel bad for the 277 people who are losing their jobs.
Old 10-17-2011, 10:05 PM   #15

Trade: Residential Remodeling
Rewards Points: 10

Quote:
Originally Posted by NHNailbangah View Post
It looks like thy are actually 3 closing. http://www.wmur.com/money/29506967/detail.html

There will still be 10 lowes left in NH, after Manchester, Hooksett, and Claremont are closed.

I didn't realize there were that many in NH. I don't get around much, I guess!
Old 10-17-2011, 10:06 PM   #16
Pro

Quote:
Originally Posted by NHNailbangah View Post

I bet most will be contractors within the year.
Old 10-17-2011, 10:12 PM   #17
The Duke

Trade: Cabinet Maker
Rewards Points: 2,036

3 in NH and 2 in Maine. 1 of them was the closest to me. 150 laid off. They put the store so out of sight I think it was almost destined to be closed.

SalmonFallsCabinetry.com

Salmon Falls Cabinetry on Facebook
Old 10-17-2011, 10:37 PM   #18
Pro

Trade: Licensed Contractor

Quote:
Originally Posted by BCConstruction View Post
I bet most will be contractors within the year.
And some fine contractors they will be.
Old 10-18-2011, 11:03 PM   #19
Pro

Trade: Home repairs,drywall,trim. Mesh addict.
Rewards Points: 3,602

I wonder how long the one near me will last. The bills to keep that place open must be a big nut to crack!
Old 10-19-2011, 06:59 AM   #20
Pro

Trade: Architectural historian
Rewards Points: 456

I see we just lost one not too far from us. It was in Emporia, Virginia and just closed.

I wonder what'll happen to these massive old buildings.

Advertisement