Jobsite Hidden Cameras

Old 12-12-2017, 01:47 PM   #1
Pro

Trade: Framing, Roofing, Siding
Rewards Points: 824

Jobsite Hidden Cameras

Have any of you used hidden exterior, weather proof, battery powered cams to keep an eye on new builds before the house is weather tight and locked up?

I may be in a position soon where I'll want to keep an eye on a disgruntled neighbor, who is heavily against a house being built. I remember a buddy saying he uses trail cams to track buck and was thinking maybe there is something meant for construction sites.

The ideal cam would be something camouflaged I could mount in a tree covering a large portion of the front yard. It would be motion set to record 5-10 mins once triggered by movement. I'd want to set it so it records evenings and weekends only as the subs would be setting it off constantly. If it sent me a message through text or email so I could view it in real time...even better.

I'll have no trespassing signs/police take notice and will inform the beat locals before we start that we may have an issue next door but the site isn't ideal for temp fencing.

So has anyone used these types of camera? How's the quality, ease of use?
Page 77 has the updated, complete list.

Warning: The topics covered on this site include activities in which there exists the potential for serious injury or death. ContractorTalk.com DOES NOT guarantee the accuracy or completeness of any information contained on this site. Always use proper safety precaution and reference reliable outside sources before attempting any construction or remodeling task!

Advertisement

Old 12-12-2017, 02:37 PM   #2
Pro

Trade: Electrical
Rewards Points: 246

Re: Jobsite Hidden Cameras

Lots of folks use trail cams around here.

We were working on a remote site installing a waste water plant. My lead called me up and told me to warn the GC, he had noticed the camera pointing right at him as he was taking a leak.

Advertisement

Old 12-12-2017, 02:39 PM   #3
Pro

Trade: home remodel/repair
Rewards Points: 34

Trail cam would work fine. But, the 5-10 minute video is long for one. Most are up to 1 minute on movement for video. 32 to 64 gig max sd card. Also the only nights and weekends would not be available so it would eat up that card quickly.
They do come with cell plans so you could see it right after anything trips it.

http://bushnell.com/hunting/trail-cameras/trophy-cam

Old 12-12-2017, 02:45 PM   #4
Pro

Trade: home remodel/repair

http://www.reconyx.com/product/Security_Series

A little more what your after.
The Following User Says Thank You to goneelkn For This Useful Post:
MattK (12-12-2017)
Old 12-12-2017, 10:22 PM   #5
Kowboy

Trade: Countertops
Rewards Points: 7,846

My buddy's video in his shop caught his son banging a girl on the bed of the CNC machine after the bar closed.
Old 12-12-2017, 10:54 PM   #6
Pro

Rewards Points: 2,646

They have a product called a plot watcher (?) that takes a picture every 30 seconds, time stamps it and you view it like a movie. Time lapse.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
The Following User Says Thank You to Mordekyle For This Useful Post:
MattK (12-13-2017)
Old 12-17-2017, 10:19 AM   #7

Trade: General

Alot of the larger general contractors use camera systems that are fully exposed for two reasons. 1) it let's people know they are being watched and therefore helps to deter and 2) you don't get into any issues where legally people didn't know they were being recorded.
The Following User Says Thank You to cnstrctr For This Useful Post:
Big Shoe (12-30-2017)
Old 12-19-2017, 02:46 PM   #8

Trade: Electrician
Rewards Points: 36

Ive never heard of train cams but I know my Nest outdoor camera rocks!
Old 12-26-2017, 05:45 AM   #9
Pro

Trade: roofing and other envied trades
Rewards Points: 900

There is nothing a camera is going to do for you. Your stuff is still going to be gone and the video wont be clear or close enough to id anyone. Not at night anyhow. Plus the cops dont care about your stuff. Low priority. Youd have better luck tying a pit bull to the front door.
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to madrina For This Useful Post:
deckman22 (01-01-2018), Dirtywhiteboy (12-26-2017)
Old 12-26-2017, 04:22 PM   #10
Pro

Trade: Masonry
Rewards Points: 5,090

Quote:
Originally Posted by madrina View Post
There is nothing a camera is going to do for you. Your stuff is still going to be gone and the video wont be clear or close enough to id anyone. Not at night anyhow. Plus the cops dont care about your stuff. Low priority. Youd have better luck tying a pit bull to the front door.

Contractor friend of mine does a lot of work and is located in Cicero Illinois which is a pretty high crime area.

He had cameras everywhere around his shop where he keeps his equipment and sure enough it got broken into one night...had a bunch of nice videos of the people committing the act that he showed the police and they basically said ďthatís niceĒ weíll keep our eyes out for them. Well itís been about five years I guess their still keeping an eye out for them..

When somebody breaks into a car or building and steals tools and such it is not considered a high priority item for the police to really run down and search for the criminals.

About the only time video footage is any good is when they rob other businesses or homes in the area and get caught within a reasonable amount of time

Cameras donít hurt anything however I would spend more time and effort into preventing them from getting into the place. That plus having excellent insurance to cover your losses

Old 12-26-2017, 04:30 PM   #11
Pro

Trade: Home Framing- Roof Stacking
Rewards Points: 7,582

Quote:
Originally Posted by TxElectrician View Post
Lots of folks use trail cams around here.

We were working on a remote site installing a waste water plant. My lead called me up and told me to warn the GC, he had noticed the camera pointing right at him as he was taking a leak.
Did he give em the finger??

Quote:
Originally Posted by Windycity View Post
Contractor friend of mine does a lot of work and is located in Cicero Illinois which is a pretty high crime area.

He had cameras everywhere around his shop where he keeps his equipment and sure enough it got broken into one night...had a bunch of nice videos of the people committing the act that he showed the police and they basically said ďthatís niceĒ weíll keep our eyes out for them. Well itís been about five years I guess their still keeping an eye out for them..

When somebody breaks into a car or building and steals tools and such it is not considered a high priority item for the police to really run down and search for the criminals.

About the only time video footage is any good is when they rob other businesses or homes in the area and get caught within a reasonable amount of time

Cameras donít hurt anything however I would spend more time and effort into preventing them from getting into the place. That plus having excellent insurance to cover your losses

Here there is a local family that has laundry mats.. with good cams in them.. When they get robbed they don't go to the police. They have the bois ask around and locate the scumbag knock the door and have him return the money or get pounded out! The cams they use are better than the ones the local banks use. Over here the banks get robbed all the time. We have gambling rooms all over with high end cams on the outside with face recognition software and the door will never open unless you are the right face.

Last edited by Dirtywhiteboy; 12-26-2017 at 04:34 PM.
Old 12-26-2017, 04:41 PM   #12
EVIL GENIUS

Trade: General Contractor, electrical, fabrication, & welding
Rewards Points: 4,438
Send a message via AIM to Michaeljp86

I have lots of trail cameras and security camera systems. I would get a 1080 system. I put the trail cams out where I farm and to see animals and sometimes people stealing sweetcorn. I had a issue with 2 punks from the trailer park stealing stuff at my house which it when I got my first camera system. Its 720 and sucks it your more then 30ft away. Finally got the jerk on camera and called the cops. The cops would "watch out for them". I caught them one night but my wife yelled as I took off running after them so she gave them a goo head start and I lost them. Police did nothing again but the idiots went into the public park and trashed the place and ripped down the security cameras there. Since they destroyed the public park I knew the cops would take them in now. Nope, nobody cared less. One day me and the wife were in the post office and I see the mexican kid that did it roller blading down the street. I leave the wife there and she call the cops and I got int the car and stayed back to see where he goes. He finally spots me and runs and I loose him but he goes 2 houses down from the post office to the "mexican drug house" its called here in town and just sits on the porch. I called the cops and they finally came and picked them up. The court was supposed to pay my wife $100 in damaged but its been going on over 2 years now. The mexican kid was expelled from school so he just walked around town stealing and destroying stuff. The dumb white kid thought the mexican kid was cool and did whatever he did.

Global warming is a myth, like evolution and the metric system.
U.S. Coast Guard
Old 12-26-2017, 05:13 PM   #13
Pro

Trade: Electrical Contractor
Rewards Points: 1,820

Quote:
Originally Posted by Michaeljp86 View Post
I have lots of trail cameras and security camera systems. I would get a 1080 system. I put the trail cams out where I farm and to see animals and sometimes people stealing sweetcorn. I had a issue with 2 punks from the trailer park stealing stuff at my house which it when I got my first camera system. Its 720 and sucks it your more then 30ft away. Finally got the jerk on camera and called the cops. The cops would "watch out for them". I caught them one night but my wife yelled as I took off running after them so she gave them a goo head start and I lost them. Police did nothing again but the idiots went into the public park and trashed the place and ripped down the security cameras there. Since they destroyed the public park I knew the cops would take them in now. Nope, nobody cared less. One day me and the wife were in the post office and I see the mexican kid that did it roller blading down the street. I leave the wife there and she call the cops and I got int the car and stayed back to see where he goes. He finally spots me and runs and I loose him but he goes 2 houses down from the post office to the "mexican drug house" its called here in town and just sits on the porch. I called the cops and they finally came and picked them up. The court was supposed to pay my wife $100 in damaged but its been going on over 2 years now. The mexican kid was expelled from school so he just walked around town stealing and destroying stuff. The dumb white kid thought the mexican kid was cool and did whatever he did.
So, if you were a white guy that stole back some stolen stuff off of a minority's drug house. Don't you think the authorities would be after your butt in no time. Full charges filed, full time in jail, you and your wife would be harassed until you had to move out of town. You could probably count on getting your house vandalized and torched. All your pets killed, plus a few gun shots in your direction.

Oh, I forgot. In my area, the crooks would get a holiday named after them, the keys to the city, plus welfare for life.
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to cwatbay For This Useful Post:
Dirtywhiteboy (12-26-2017), SmallTownGuy (12-30-2017)
Old 12-26-2017, 07:03 PM   #14
GC/carpenter

Trade: Decking, Railing, Carpenter/General Contractor
Rewards Points: 2,564

Advertise all around the site they are being watched on camera.

Mike.
Old 12-29-2017, 11:39 PM   #15

Trade: General contractor
Rewards Points: 136

I use OxBlue. Have used earth cam in the past. 1080 closed loop wi-fi system I can access from my phone at any time. Can zoom in from 1000 yds away and see the bolts that attach the license plate to the vehicle.
Then tell the authorities I have a gun and I will be engaging the suspects. The police come VERY quickly.

Old 12-29-2017, 11:55 PM   #16
Pro

Trade: masonry
Rewards Points: 6,264

April 15 2009 I had a little over $12,000 of scaffolds, walk boards. braces , side arms, and mud pans stolen off the job.

The local Sheriffs dept in that county (Stokes co NC) didnt ever seem to interested in finding the people who did it

Within 4 days I found out who did it, I called the investigator and he simply told me to leave it alone

The next day I found out where my stuff was, I called the investigator and told him to have a deputy there, that I was on my way to get my stuff...

He told me "Mr Hooker, if you go down there and load that stuff up and pull out in the road, we will have to arrest you"
Old 12-30-2017, 12:00 AM   #17
Pro

The crack head who stole my stuff was a pivot man for the sheriffs dept. They were in the middle of a three year drug investigation and they werent going to pluck him out over my stuff...I get it but...

I told them to go ahead and leave him alone, I didnt care, but I wanted my stuff back.

....the real kicker was the crack head...that bastard is a brick mason too

Last edited by brickhook; 12-30-2017 at 12:09 AM.
Old 12-30-2017, 12:02 AM   #18
Pro

^^^ and hes still using my stuff
Old 12-30-2017, 12:07 AM   #19
Pro

Everything I own is marked, the investigators reason for not letting me have my stuff back was, although everything was marked, scaffolds and walk boards are stamped with 'product#' not serial #.
Old 12-30-2017, 12:11 AM   #20
Pro

cameras wont help you in Hick Town

Advertisement