Jeld Wen Windows

Old 12-23-2008, 09:49 PM   #1
Certified Remodeler

Trade: Kitchen bath remodeler
Rewards Points: 2,000

Jeld Wen Windows

I installed the better Jeld Wen aluminum clad casements in my entire home.
Very happy with the French door. Here's the problem.
When it gets real cold, below 15 degrees I can feel the air move at the bottom of the sash. Windows are 2 years old, great in the summer, low e argon and I have 4 foot overhangs on my rambler. Winter they suck.
Get ice on the glass, humidity is around 30 to 35%, I need it there because of my guitars and piano.
The weatherstripping seems too small for the job.
Are these windows sh*t, or can I do something.
I installed window wrap and foamed all the jambs, also clear caulked around interior casings.
Marvins would have cost me about $24,000 for my house, the Jeld Wen windows cost me about $17,000 with a special price I got, so I went with the best price.
Jeld Wen, biggest window company in the world. I have a call into the rep, but he's in another state till the middle of January.
Were talking Minnesota.

Warning: The topics covered on this site include activities in which there exists the potential for serious injury or death. ContractorTalk.com DOES NOT guarantee the accuracy or completeness of any information contained on this site. Always use proper safety precaution and reference reliable outside sources before attempting any construction or remodeling task!

Old 12-24-2008, 11:30 AM   #2
Insert title

Trade: Doors-Windows-Decks

Re: Jeld Wen Windows

Close you bottom sash about an inch up from the bottom and measure it in a few locations to see if it is even. Some/most windows really need the bottom sash/sill alignment to be dead on. Other than that I would not put those windows in my house if they were free.

Old 12-24-2008, 11:39 AM   #3
Mod / ArchiBuilder

Trade: Design/Build Outdoor Living
Rewards Points: 2,068

Quote:
Originally Posted by dougchips View Post
Other than that I would not put those windows in my house if they were free.
Yowza, probably what he didn't want to hear!

I have to agree with Doug, though check the sash for alignment, luckily we dont have too many 15 degree and under days.
Old 12-24-2008, 11:42 AM   #4
Certified Remodeler

Thanks, I'll do that.
Doug, it sounds like you don't like Jeld Wen.
How does a company like that get so big?
And yeah, I'm done with them. Marvin or Pella now.

I don't intend on selling windows, but I went through the Anderson program last year to get my contractor credits, seemed like a good product.
Anderson company is about 20 miles from where I live.
Old 12-24-2008, 11:44 AM   #5
Pro

Trade: Kitchen & Bath
Rewards Points: 500

Quote:
Originally Posted by dougchips View Post
Close you bottom sash about an inch up from the bottom and measure it in a few locations to see if it is even.
Quote:
Originally Posted by silvertree View Post
Paul, we just installed 30k of Andersen's Eagle line of windows on a project, very nice window i think.

Last edited by orson; 12-24-2008 at 11:47 AM.
Old 12-24-2008, 11:59 AM   #6
Insert title

Trade: Doors-Windows-Decks

Quote:
Thanks, I'll do that.
Doug, it sounds like you don't like Jeld Wen.
How does a company like that get so big?
And yeah, I'm done with them. Marvin or Pella now.

I don't intend on selling windows, but I went through the Anderson program last year to get my contractor credits, seemed like a good product.
Anderson company is about 20 miles from where I live.
Get big=home centers. It's all a cycle if they can't keep their prices/quality down they will go under and some other company will be the big one.

Jeld Wen is not a bad company, they just make products that I would not use in my home or my clients homes. I also don't use single ply toilet paper in my home but millions of other people do. I'm not a snob, heck I have RTA home Depot cabinets in my kitchen--any kitchen installer knows they are crap and after 8 years they are having issues---we all make buying mistakes and pay for them later.

Andersen, another window brand that I will not install even if they are free. About 10 years ago I replaced some of my windows with Andersens and ended up ripping them out and selling them to a neighbor of mine. Great marketing, not a great window.
Old 12-24-2008, 12:57 PM   #7
Pro

Trade: Remodel / repairs / Certified Mold inspector, Remediator
Rewards Points: 250
Send a message via AIM to Burby

Quote:
Very happy with the French door. Here's the problem.
When it gets real cold, below 15 degrees I can feel the air move at the bottom of the sash. Windows are 2 years old, great in the summer, low e argon and I have 4 foot overhangs on my rambler. Winter they suck.
Get ice on the glass, humidity is around 30 to 35%, I need it there because of my guitars and piano.
The weatherstripping seems too small for the job.
Are these windows sh*t, or can I do something.
I installed window wrap and foamed all the jambs, also clear caulked around interior casings.
Marvins would have cost me about $24,000 for my house, the Jeld Wen windows cost me about $17,000 with a special price I got, so I went with the best price.
Jeld Wen, biggest window company in the world. I have a call into the rep, but he's in another state till the middle of January.
Were talking Minnesota.

Check the unit for square as one suggested, just to make sure it is square and if square when installed you possibly could have got to much foam in to move the jamb enough to force it out of square. As with any insullation to much can cause problems.
The weather strip is typically more than enough to seal.

Is it all your windows or just a few?
I trust when the rep returns he will satisfy you as to why, what from there is up to him.
Just please do let us know what he says.

Merry Christmas

Never judge another by one's own intelligence
Old 12-24-2008, 02:14 PM   #8
Certified Remodeler

I'll let you know what the rep says, as for foaming around the jambs.
All done with minimal expanding foam. Windows are square and all were tested for an even reveal before the foam went in. Also these are installed with a nailing flange over Biltrite. I always clean the openings before an install and am anal about things being "nuts on" even. Which slows me down a little, but keeps call backs to a minimum. I gotta say they look real good.
Old 12-24-2008, 04:37 PM   #9
Pro

Trade: Deck Builder
Rewards Points: 500

You could have the best windows ever made and if you have 30% humidity inside your house and a very dry cold outside you are going to get alot of sweating and if it is cold enough, ice on the windows inside. If you had a outside humidistat (sp?) on your humidifier that could control the humidity in the house. my 2 cents
Old 12-24-2008, 10:44 PM   #10
Pro

Trade: custom home building
Rewards Points: 2,276

Ice on the glass! Isn't it supposed to ice up in the winter? I try to keep my humidity up around 45 percent. If you don't want the ice, you have to get the triple glaze or use no curtains and train a hair dryer on each window. Or set your thermostat to some temperature I have never seen, like 72 degrees. Or set it to 58 degrees, this will probably work as well.

Seriously, there is no way to avoid it. I have never tried the triple glaze, but I don't think it will work either. You know my location. I don't mind the ice. I get a bit of mold on the bottom sash which I hit with some windex or bleachy water every now and then when it's warm and that cleans it up.