Contractor Talk - Professional Construction and Remodeling Forum banner

How long do you expect to live?

8K views 70 replies 23 participants last post by  Mike(VA) 
#1 ·
I spent yesterday in and out of a crawlspace, an attic and up on a roof, then home to shower and pop some ibuprofen. My dad did the same type of work, claimed all his life he'd live to 100 but kicked the bucket at 69 from leukemia. I won't let my kids follow me into the business, hard life this construction stuff.

#2 ·
Just finished a new dettached garage today. The electrical supply line that runs to the home is now laying on the new garage roof. It hasn't been relocated yet. It got caught on my nail bags as I was going down the ladder. I'm lucky to be typing this right now.

#3 ·
I downscaled in 2004 when I had a full-on heart attack, emergency angioplasty and two stents stuck in my arteries.

$50,000 worth of cardiac plumbing. Lucky I had health insurance.

I take it day by day and hope I don't have another zots out, or need a damn bypass.

#5 · (Edited)
Dang Bodger! sorry to hear that...

I KNOW I have asbestos in my lungs, when I was a Cub my then Boss (who died of leukemia) used to be like "C'mon you big pussy, get up there and scrap all that "Monokote" (fire proofing) off those beams!" "you don't need NO stupid masks we used to EAT that Sh!!T fer dinner!" and I believed him even though the Building Engineer warned us kids about Asbestos in that building...What Schmucks we were!

But I don't smoke, drink or do any drugs, so I'm still around...I'll probably be dead at CT probably around the time I get into P&R which unless the rules "mysteriously" change again should be soon...

Just...promise me... you'll .. do a "best of" ...Simplejack...thread...and that you WILL fight the New World Order...*

#38 ·
I'm 45 now. Smoker and optimistic. I used to get a physical every year. Cardio, pulminary, blood tests, the whole works. They always told me that if I didn't smoke I'd live forever.....Don't think I want to hang around long enough for my kids to change my diapers:laughing:

Attachments

#39 ·
My grandfather got up one morning and keeled over just like that. He was in his 70's. Dad did the same thing in his 70's. Told my wife after his funeral, thats how the men in my family go, so if she hears me hit the floor when I first get outta bed, she might want to check that I didnt just trip over the dog.

#52 ·
I spent from 2001-late 2005 TOTALLY single (almost 5 years) those were the happiest years of my life, I was always in extremely good health, but I would have to say that 2005-2006 I was in the most insane shape of my life (mentally and physically). the last 2 tiny years with the wrong woman has left me feeling haggard and old. I am totally convinced that relationships, marrige and/or cohabitation will take years off your life.

#59 ·
I spent from 2001-late 2005 TOTALLY single (almost 5 years) those were the happiest years of my life, I was always in extremely good health, but I would have to say that 2005-2006 I was in the most insane shape of my life (mentally and physically). the last 2 tiny years with the wrong woman has left me feeling haggard and old. I am totally convinced that relationships, marrige and/or cohabitation will take years off your life.
No question about it!

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.