Contractor Talk - Professional Construction and Remodeling Forum banner

How to Become a Preferred Contractor for Homeowners Insurace Claims

32K views 4 replies 5 participants last post by  bonz 
#1 ·
Hi, new to the forums. Hope someone can help me out here. Recently I ran into a guy who has been pretty busy even during this economic downturn. He used to do direct work with homeowners and on the side a little bit of work for the insurance companies, but as things slowed down he did more and more work for them. Now he exclusively does insurance repair claims, whether it is siding, roofing, or windows. As times get leaner and it gets harder for find leads or jobs to bid on this started to sound like a good idea. Unfortunately I do not have the persons contact info anymore, and am left without any idea as to how to break into the insurance claims work. It seems whenever there was a claim, the adjustors in the area would forward the details directly to him. Anyone out there know the process with which to go about becoming one of these preferred contractors for the insurance companies?

#3 ·
I find it interesting how all of a sudden the 'insurance game' is getting such rave reviews in the 'down' economy. I've posted this many times before. Although we were all newbies at one time, the insurance restoration industry is not for the weak at heart. It has a huge learning curve and you most likely will not just 'get in' by asking. If you are going to work for the HO, which I recommend, then you need to do them a service and learn the ins and outs very well. This will include how to properly read and understand policy, deal with adjusters, engineers, claims examiners, etc, scope a loss, restore a loss, file 10x the paperwork you normally would in a remodel, and mostly the funnest part of putting weeks into selling one small roofing job after you meet with the HO, the adjuster, a possible team leader, a possible engineer, and then call them for days on end to get your file closed so a check can be sent to your insured. There is a ton of legwork and I've only mentioned a small part. The learning curve is huge and reputation is the most important thing you can have in this business. Being from Texas, I have met with the 'big boy' engineers such as Koontz, Patterson, Treider, Haag (Marshall, Morrisson, Teasdale, etc) on commercial losses dozens of times. I have worked hard to get a reputation as a guy who calls it like I see it, but always with an open mind. If I believe I am right, I will fight to the bitter end for my clients. Call a spade a spade and don't try to fabricate extra curricular damage to build up your claim and you will do just fine. If it can be repaired, repair it. If it needs replaced, replace it. Noone gets to retire from one job. Just do your homework and don't jump in too fast. Discuss claims....don't argue them with adjusters. Respect their opinions regardless of whether they are wrong. There is always someone to go to above them.

That was a small scattershot for you.

#4 ·
I have been in this line of work for twenty years, and in our state the word is that if you haven't been doing Insurance Repair work for at least 5 years, the Insurance Companys don't use many new companies just getting started in this line of work, I just did advertising in Claimspages, which is a directory that Insurance Adjustors use of contractors and the type of work they do.
We are listed to cover 5 counties, doing plaster and drywall work.

www.frankawitz.net

#5 ·
Hello,

I have been told that most major insurance companies in my area will not even begin to consider you for preferred contractor status unless you are submitting all bids in the same software format they use internally (Xactimate in my area). If you submit a bid (electronically) using the same software, you have already done a large portion of the adjuster's paperwork for him/her. He can take your bid and make their necessary changes to submit to his boss. This saves him alot of time compared to creating a repair claim from scratch. It also makes the entire process easier when you both have to work thru all the details and negotiate a final agreement. I have even worked with one adjuster that notified me of something I missed on a bid that increased the cost.

The claims adjuster is my contact to the insurance company. I treat him very well and try to make his job as easy as possible. He then helps me thru the proper channels within his company so I can obtain preferred status and continue to make his job as easy as possible.

The major flaw in my strategy has to do with claims adjusters that are out to make a name for themselves by screwing the insured. They are out there, I don't like them and they don't like me... I am all ears on how to get on their good side without hurting myself or my customer.

Bonz

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.