Getting Started Need Advice.

 
Thread Tools Search this Thread Display Modes
Old 11-06-2017, 10:42 AM   #61
This space for lease
 
RangoWA's Avatar
 
Trade: General
Join Date: Jun 2014
Location: Washington
Posts: 4,093
Rewards Points: 16,626

Re: Getting Started Need Advice.


I haven't seen the salesguy post hear in a while so maybe it didn't pan out for him.
RangoWA is offline  

Warning: The topics covered on this site include activities in which there exists the potential for serious injury or death. ContractorTalk.com DOES NOT guarantee the accuracy or completeness of any information contained on this site. Always use proper safety precaution and reference reliable outside sources before attempting any construction or remodeling task!

   

Advertisement

 

Old 11-06-2017, 10:44 AM   #62
New Guy
 
maxfederle89's Avatar
 
Trade: Seamless Gutter Company
Join Date: Oct 2017
Posts: 25
Rewards Points: 52

Re: Getting Started Need Advice.


Quote:
Originally Posted by RangoWA View Post
I haven't seen the salesguy post hear in a while so maybe it didn't pan out for him.
I kind of wondered if it panned out for that guy or not. Sort of sounded like it wasn't going to work to me.

Sent from my SM-J320V using Tapatalk
maxfederle89 is offline  
Old 11-06-2017, 10:45 AM   #63
water re-locater
 
NYgutterguy's Avatar
 
Trade: Gutter installer
Join Date: Mar 2014
Location: orange/rockland ny NYC suburbs
Posts: 4,089
Rewards Points: 196

Re: Getting Started Need Advice.


Quote:
Originally Posted by RangoWA View Post
I haven't seen the salesguy post hear in a while so maybe it didn't pan out for him.


We scared him off as usual


Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
NYgutterguy is offline  
The Following User Says Thank You to NYgutterguy For This Useful Post:
maxfederle89 (11-06-2017)
   
 
Old 11-06-2017, 10:54 AM   #64
This space for lease
 
RangoWA's Avatar
 
Trade: General
Join Date: Jun 2014
Location: Washington
Posts: 4,093
Rewards Points: 16,626

Re: Getting Started Need Advice.


Quote:
Originally Posted by NYgutterguy View Post
We scared him off as usual
LOL. Guess he didn't want to compete with the likes of a guy like you that knows how to actually do the job. With only sales as a background I think they don't understand the real world experience of making it happen. Might look easy on paper but anyone in the field knows better.
RangoWA is offline  
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to RangoWA For This Useful Post:
maxfederle89 (11-06-2017), NYgutterguy (11-06-2017)
Old 11-06-2017, 11:22 AM   #65
water re-locater
 
NYgutterguy's Avatar
 
Trade: Gutter installer
Join Date: Mar 2014
Location: orange/rockland ny NYC suburbs
Posts: 4,089
Rewards Points: 196

Re: Getting Started Need Advice.


Quote:
Originally Posted by RangoWA View Post
LOL. Guess he didn't want to compete with the likes of a guy like you that knows how to actually do the job. With only sales as a background I think they don't understand the real world experience of making it happen. Might look easy on paper but anyone in the field knows better.


I think I do ok because I'm not a real salesman. Just an honest straight shooter who is extremely confident in the product we put out. I compete against one calls everyday. I can hold my own with my method. No fancy presentation, no deposit, very rarely a contract.


Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
NYgutterguy is offline  
The Following User Says Thank You to NYgutterguy For This Useful Post:
maxfederle89 (11-06-2017)
Old 11-06-2017, 06:39 PM   #66
New Guy
 
maxfederle89's Avatar
 
Trade: Seamless Gutter Company
Join Date: Oct 2017
Posts: 25
Rewards Points: 52

Re: Getting Started Need Advice.


Quote:
Originally Posted by NYgutterguy View Post
I think I do ok because I'm not a real salesman. Just an honest straight shooter who is extremely confident in the product we put out. I compete against one calls everyday. I can hold my own with my method. No fancy presentation, no deposit, very rarely a contract.


Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
That is exactly how my old boss was. Just a really good guy willing to take on pretty much anything and he was always honest and fair, sometimes too fair.

Sent from my SM-J320V using Tapatalk
maxfederle89 is offline  
The Following User Says Thank You to maxfederle89 For This Useful Post:
NYgutterguy (11-06-2017)
Old 11-06-2017, 07:56 PM   #67
water re-locater
 
NYgutterguy's Avatar
 
Trade: Gutter installer
Join Date: Mar 2014
Location: orange/rockland ny NYC suburbs
Posts: 4,089
Rewards Points: 196

Re: Getting Started Need Advice.


Quote:
Originally Posted by maxfederle89 View Post
That is exactly how my old boss was. Just a really good guy willing to take on pretty much anything and he was always honest and fair, sometimes too fair.

Sent from my SM-J320V using Tapatalk


Pretty much correct except for the take on anything part. If it's a nasty pig of a house I usually keep driving.


Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
NYgutterguy is offline  
The Following User Says Thank You to NYgutterguy For This Useful Post:
maxfederle89 (11-06-2017)
Old 11-06-2017, 08:05 PM   #68
This space for lease
 
RangoWA's Avatar
 
Trade: General
Join Date: Jun 2014
Location: Washington
Posts: 4,093
Rewards Points: 16,626

Re: Getting Started Need Advice.


Quote:
Originally Posted by NYgutterguy View Post
Pretty much correct except for the take on anything part. If it's a nasty pig of a house I usually keep driving.
Now that's something a salesguy wouldn't know. He'd try to sell them Cadillac gutters.
RangoWA is offline  
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to RangoWA For This Useful Post:
maxfederle89 (11-06-2017), NYgutterguy (11-06-2017)
Old 11-06-2017, 08:26 PM   #69
water re-locater
 
NYgutterguy's Avatar
 
Trade: Gutter installer
Join Date: Mar 2014
Location: orange/rockland ny NYC suburbs
Posts: 4,089
Rewards Points: 196

Re: Getting Started Need Advice.


Quote:
Originally Posted by RangoWA View Post
Now that's something a salesguy wouldn't know. He'd try to sell them Cadillac gutters.


A salesman dosnt have to do the job. Their only concern is $$. Piece of mind and knowing when to walk holds some value to me.


Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
NYgutterguy is offline  
The Following User Says Thank You to NYgutterguy For This Useful Post:
maxfederle89 (11-06-2017)
Old 11-06-2017, 08:32 PM   #70
This space for lease
 
RangoWA's Avatar
 
Trade: General
Join Date: Jun 2014
Location: Washington
Posts: 4,093
Rewards Points: 16,626

Re: Getting Started Need Advice.


Quote:
Originally Posted by NYgutterguy View Post
A salesman dosnt have to do the job. Their only concern is $$. Piece of mind and knowing when to walk holds some value to me.
Knowing what not to do is an important part of business. I was thinking about the salesguy wanting to start a business with no ground level experience.
RangoWA is offline  
The Following User Says Thank You to RangoWA For This Useful Post:
maxfederle89 (11-06-2017)
Old 11-06-2017, 11:10 PM   #71
New Guy
 
maxfederle89's Avatar
 
Trade: Seamless Gutter Company
Join Date: Oct 2017
Posts: 25
Rewards Points: 52

Re: Getting Started Need Advice.


Quote:
Originally Posted by NYgutterguy View Post
Pretty much correct except for the take on anything part. If it's a nasty pig of a house I usually keep driving.


Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
I wish my boss had more of that attitude... And so did the rest of his employees. There was some junk he'd agree to do that was ludicrous and he'd never charge them enough. I'm talking he could have doubled his money.

I'm picking up some install work while I'm trying to get a game plan on my own business. Unfortunately I agreed to helping on a big job before I saw it. Going to start tomorrow so I followed a guy over to look. It was everything I was hoping it wouldn't be... 600ft of 6" The pictures tell the rest.

Sent from my SM-J320V using Tapatalk
maxfederle89 is offline  
Old 11-06-2017, 11:16 PM   #72
water re-locater
 
NYgutterguy's Avatar
 
Trade: Gutter installer
Join Date: Mar 2014
Location: orange/rockland ny NYC suburbs
Posts: 4,089
Rewards Points: 196

Re: Getting Started Need Advice.


Quote:
Originally Posted by maxfederle89 View Post
I wish my boss had more of that attitude... And so did the rest of his employees. There was some junk he'd agree to do that was ludicrous and he'd never charge them enough. I'm talking he could have doubled his money.

I'm picking up some install work while I'm trying to get a game plan on my own business. Unfortunately I agreed to helping on a big job before I saw it. Going to start tomorrow so I followed a guy over to look. It was everything I was hoping it wouldn't be... 600ft of 6" The pictures tell the rest.

Sent from my SM-J320V using Tapatalk


Rip and install 6"?


Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
NYgutterguy is offline  
Old 11-06-2017, 11:26 PM   #73
New Guy
 
maxfederle89's Avatar
 
Trade: Seamless Gutter Company
Join Date: Oct 2017
Posts: 25
Rewards Points: 52

Re: Getting Started Need Advice.


Quote:
Originally Posted by NYgutterguy View Post
Rip and install 6"?


Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Yes. Tear-off will take a lot of time. But only 3 downs are getting replaced.

Sent from my SM-J320V using Tapatalk
maxfederle89 is offline  
Old 11-06-2017, 11:30 PM   #74
water re-locater
 
NYgutterguy's Avatar
 
Trade: Gutter installer
Join Date: Mar 2014
Location: orange/rockland ny NYC suburbs
Posts: 4,089
Rewards Points: 196

Re: Getting Started Need Advice.


Quote:
Originally Posted by maxfederle89 View Post
Yes. Tear-off will take a lot of time. But only 3 downs are getting replaced.

Sent from my SM-J320V using Tapatalk


Not bad at least walkable. 2 guys ripping and one cutting up old and cleaning up ( my job ) it should go quick.


Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
NYgutterguy is offline  
Old 11-06-2017, 11:41 PM   #75
New Guy
 
maxfederle89's Avatar
 
Trade: Seamless Gutter Company
Join Date: Oct 2017
Posts: 25
Rewards Points: 52

Re: Getting Started Need Advice.


Quote:
Originally Posted by NYgutterguy View Post
Not bad at least walkable. 2 guys ripping and one cutting up old and cleaning up ( my job ) it should go quick.


Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
You're right. It's saving grace is we can butt scoot around up there. The bad is the guy that's in charge doesn't have a lot of experience and we could use a 3rd cleanup monkey. But it'll work out I'm sure.

Sent from my SM-J320V using Tapatalk
maxfederle89 is offline  
Old 11-07-2017, 07:01 PM   #76
Pro
 
jstanton's Avatar
 
Trade: carpentry
Join Date: Mar 2012
Location: Billerica MA
Posts: 219
Rewards Points: 160

Re: Getting Started Need Advice.


Quote:
Originally Posted by NYgutterguy View Post
I think I do ok because I'm not a real salesman. Just an honest straight shooter who is extremely confident in the product we put out. I compete against one calls everyday. I can hold my own with my method. No fancy presentation, no deposit, very rarely a contract.


Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
I agree 100%, I sell myself and our work. Most customers tell me they were impressed by my knowledge and expertise. I also have a great crew and sell their "awesomeness". I tried doing the whole professional image when I started, it's just not me. Just landed a 90k kitchen not including cabs & counters, I was the highest bidder. "Joe you were the only one we felt confident in and trusted".

Good tradesmen who are willing to learn the business end can do very well. Salesmen in this trade rarely seem to last, it's finding quality help that hinders growth.
jstanton is offline  
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to jstanton For This Useful Post:
maxfederle89 (11-07-2017), NYgutterguy (11-07-2017)
Old 11-07-2017, 07:08 PM   #77
New Guy
 
maxfederle89's Avatar
 
Trade: Seamless Gutter Company
Join Date: Oct 2017
Posts: 25
Rewards Points: 52

Re: Getting Started Need Advice.


Quote:
Originally Posted by jstanton View Post
I agree 100%, I sell myself and our work. Most customers tell me they were impressed by my knowledge and expertise. I also have a great crew and sell their "awesomeness". I tried doing the whole professional image when I started, it's just not me. Just landed a 90k kitchen not including cabs & counters, I was the highest bidder. "Joe you were the only one we felt confident in and trusted".

Good tradesmen who are willing to learn the business end can do very well. Salesmen in this trade rarely seem to last, it's finding quality help that hinders growth.
Keep the dialogue going guys. These are things that I've kind of felt in my gut and learned over the years from my boss and foreman, but hearing experienced guys talk about it helps me to understand what's really important.

Sent from my SM-J320V using Tapatalk
maxfederle89 is offline  
Old 11-09-2017, 01:53 PM   #78
"Username" T. - Always Pr
 
WillRestore's Avatar
 
Trade: Always Preferred - www.wedefineclean.net
Join Date: Oct 2017
Location: Montana
Posts: 15
Rewards Points: 34

Re: Getting Started Need Advice.


hello. your idea is great. and $15 are enough to hire the first labors. and after 6 months you can give them a bonus, and then increase they salary after a year.

Advertisement

WillRestore is offline  


Thread Tools Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search
Display Modes Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread:

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Trackbacks are Off
Pingbacks are Off
Refbacks are Off


Similar Threads
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
Need Blasting Equipment AND advice.... fishwich2005 Sandblasting 4 09-02-2014 09:54 PM
what is your secret or advice roofguy1000s Roofing 9 08-29-2013 06:20 AM
Snap Cutter Advice country_huck Tiling 232 05-12-2013 12:40 PM
Framing Layout and Blueprint Reading - Seeking Advice and Tips for Beginners Workin Kid Framing 49 02-27-2013 12:54 PM
My K.A. MBP started to run unbearably S-L-O-W!!!! wallmaxx Technology 14 02-24-2013 01:49 PM

Join Now... It's Fast and FREE!

I am a professional contractor
I am a DIY Homeowner
Drywall Talk is for
PROFESSIONAL CONTRACTORS ONLY!

At DrywallTalk.com we cater exlusivly to professional contractors who make their living as a contractor. Knowing that many homeowners and DIYers are looking for a community to call home, we've created www.DIYChatroom.com DIY Chatroom is full of helpful advices and perfect for DIY homeowners.

Redirecing in 10 seconds
No Thanks
terms of service

Already Have an Account?