Furnace In The Attic

Old 03-05-2009, 10:24 AM   #1
semi-skilled laborer

Trade: Professional Painting
Rewards Points: 1,184

Furnace In The Attic

I have been painting my parents house about once every 3 years for them, it is aluminum siding with wood trim. A few years ago they wanted central air so my dad had a new furnace installed in the attic, the old one was the kind with the little radiators along the baseboard. So the guys came out and ran new duct work and installed the furnace.
Since the new furnace had been in the wood overhangs have started to rot and the paint just peels off of them in sheets, all the way to the raw wood, which is way under any of the coats I have applied.
I think that it is the furnace in the attic that is causing the problem and that the roof will have to be vented better then originally to accommodate the furnace being up there. The Overhangs have the rectangle style vents in them and I have made sure that they are open, so I figure with the added humidity of the furnace and duct work running thought the attic that new vents are needed.
This is not my trade so I really didn't know a whole heck of allot about this sort of thing. I seen WarnerConst. had some venting issues on one of his projects and that got me thinking that it could be my parents problem also. I am not going to add the vents myself, too afraid I will make the roof leak, so maybe I should just hire Warner, he is a few miles up the highway from me.

Warning: The topics covered on this site include activities in which there exists the potential for serious injury or death. ContractorTalk.com DOES NOT guarantee the accuracy or completeness of any information contained on this site. Always use proper safety precaution and reference reliable outside sources before attempting any construction or remodeling task!

Advertisement

Old 03-05-2009, 10:28 AM   #2
I like Green things

Trade: Custom Carpentry Services
Rewards Points: 5,520

Re: Furnace In The Attic

Hey, sounds fishy to me. Where does the furance exhaust to? No insulation packed in the eaves since you cleared the soffet vents right?

PM if you have any questions.

Advertisement

Old 03-05-2009, 10:41 AM   #3
semi-skilled laborer

I will check it out this weekend and see if I can get some pictures of what the set up is over there. Like I said I am a painter so some pics might help guys who know more about this sort of thing then me trying to describe it.
I was kinda putting it off for a few weeks untill I got done with my kitchen, but my dad keeps bugging me about it so I figured I would post something just so I could give him some info. If it comes down to hiring someone to fix it and you got the time I will recommend you Warner, I would rather it goes to someone I know even online then to some hillbilly friend of my uncle or something like that.
Old 03-05-2009, 10:46 AM   #4
Code Nerd

Trade: Historic Preservationist / Furniture Maker
Rewards Points: 250

gas or electric? make up air ducting? 90% effic.?
Old 03-05-2009, 10:47 AM   #5
Pro

Trade: Electrical & Carpentry
Rewards Points: 500

Wow, Talk about in-efficiency !!! Whoever talked them into that? The worst possible place to ever put it. I would hate to pay those bills. Cold surronding the heating system in winter, hot around the A/C in summer- Not only that, but other Problems like you described--------- One Big Nightmare !!
Old 03-05-2009, 11:24 AM   #6
semi-skilled laborer

Quote:
Originally Posted by Deadhead Derek View Post
gas or electric? make up air ducting? 90% effic.?

It is a gas furnace, thats pretty much all I know about it untill I get over there this weekend.
I dont know who installed it.
Old 03-05-2009, 12:17 PM   #7
I like Green things

Its done all the time around here like that.

Sometimes without regard to what other effects it will have down the road.
Old 03-05-2009, 02:07 PM   #8
Pro

Trade: General Contracting

Quote:
Originally Posted by WarnerConstInc. View Post
Its done all the time around here like that.

Sometimes without regard to what other effects it will have down the road.
Is that because you have a lot of slab on grade construction, instead of on a foundation?

It sounds like an improper exhaust venting problem with that furnace I would think, MS
Old 03-05-2009, 02:18 PM   #9
I like Green things

Quote:
Originally Posted by dubz View Post
Is that because you have a lot of slab on grade construction, instead of on a foundation?

It sounds like an improper exhaust venting problem with that furnace I would think, MS
That and a combination of houses that had all electric heat and no AC.

When someone wante to add AC or a whole new system, it is easier to put the unit in an attic.

There is a furnace exhaust issue some where, where they ran that who knows.

It works well if everything is insulated properly.

Most new houses with slabs have the furnace in the garage, just about like having it in the attic at times.
Old 03-05-2009, 02:49 PM   #10
Service & Repairs

Trade: Electrician
Rewards Points: 2,002

I see full furnaces and air handlers in the attic all the time.

Just because it's hot in the summer and cold in the winter DOES NOT mean the furnace will work harder because of ambient temperature because that's what a thermostat is for and of course that gets installed on an interior wall.
Old 03-05-2009, 03:32 PM   #11
Pro

Trade: Electrical & Carpentry
Rewards Points: 500

Quote:
Originally Posted by Magnettica View Post
I see full furnaces and air handlers in the attic all the time.

Just because it's hot in the summer and cold in the winter DOES NOT mean the furnace will work harder because of ambient temperature because that's what a thermostat is for and of course that gets installed on an interior wall.
???? A thermostat doesn't care what energy is lost on the way, it will just make them run longer to get to it's Temperature setting. If Energy is lost on the way & IT DOES make the furnace or A/C work harder to meet the thermostat's demand !! In Attics, Ambient Temps are more extreme, & just because it's hotter in the summer, & colder in the winter, there will be more losses........... & the losses are not going into the house or garage or furnace room,etc.
Old 03-05-2009, 03:39 PM   #12
Pro

Air handlers in the attic sure, but for service, noise, vibration, replacement, and less line to feed the thing, having it in the basement is optimum.
Air handler coils have to be protected from freezing and most attics aren't heated. Anti-freeze rots the copper lines out quicker.
Old 03-05-2009, 03:57 PM   #13
semi-skilled laborer

The house is on a slab, thats why they stuck it in the attic. There was a small furnace room, very very small, I guess the new furnace didn't fit in there or maybe it just wouldn't have worked in there. Personally I would have installed it in the garage just so servicing the unit would be easier. The house was built in the 50's and since the furnace was installed I have had to deal with more and more nail pops in the ceilings. Not sure if that is from the added weight of the furnace and the people moving around up there when servicing it, or if it is also related to the chance that the thing is not vented correctly.
The roof is less then 10 years old and I have seen no evidence that it leaks anywhere. Thats why I keep coming back to the idea that something with the vents must be the problem.
Old 03-05-2009, 04:26 PM   #14
Pro

There is a limit to the length of the exhaust pipe before it needs to be power vented. Do they have a CO detector in the house? I'd be concerned about that.

Nail pops due to vibration when the thing runs prolly
Old 03-05-2009, 04:39 PM   #15
Pro

Trade: Painting
Rewards Points: 2,006
Send a message via AIM to boman47k

Guestion then a statement.

Painting every three years? Is that by someone's choice or is it an adhesion problem?

I have a split system with the heat in the attic. I have noticed cold air coming from the registers before heat. I always thought it weird that the system blows cold air then has to replace the heat loss due to emptying the ductwork of its cold air. I assumed the installers did not use insulated ductwork except for the flex stuff running from the main duct.
Old 03-05-2009, 05:05 PM   #16
semi-skilled laborer

They have changed the color and added some changes, so it comes out to me painting the house about every 3 years for the last 9 or so years.
Old 03-05-2009, 05:12 PM   #17
I like Green things

Technically I think they are supposed to suspend the units or install a rubber pad to isolate the unit from the framing.

Paint peeling on soffets is because of moisture inside the eaves.

One guy around here was notorious for filling the insides of wood soffets with cellulose.

Paint would peel off down to the bare wood in a matter of months because of this.

I have dealt with a few overhangs on some houses he did that to and for the most part I had to tear them apart and rebuild. They rotted from the inside.
Old 03-05-2009, 05:32 PM   #18
semi-skilled laborer

That might be the problem, he told me he checked the vents and soffits but maybe not. I cleared one in the front when I had a buddy replace a board for him, but my dad assured me that he had been up there and that the rest were clear. I will try to squeeze in the time to stop by there tomorrow and see whats up, I swear that from now on my parents are not allowed to have anyone work on their house without my permission.
Old 03-05-2009, 05:39 PM   #19
I like Green things

Now remember, I think the bigger issue of concern is the actual ventilation of the furnace itself, just giving you a few things to look for and maybe eliminate.
Old 03-05-2009, 09:39 PM   #20
Service & Repairs

Trade: Electrician
Rewards Points: 2,002

Quote:
Originally Posted by mrmike View Post
???? A thermostat doesn't care what energy is lost on the way, it will just make them run longer to get to it's Temperature setting. If Energy is lost on the way & IT DOES make the furnace or A/C work harder to meet the thermostat's demand !! In Attics, Ambient Temps are more extreme, & just because it's hotter in the summer, & colder in the winter, there will be more losses........... & the losses are not going into the house or garage or furnace room,etc.

All the t-stat cares about is, "hey I'm cold, satisfy me".

Makes no difference what the temperature is where the furnace is located.

Advertisement