Forced Hot Air Versus Baseboard Forced Hot Water

Old 02-10-2005, 07:47 PM   #1

Rewards Points: 10
Question

Forced Hot Air Versus Baseboard Forced Hot Water

I live in the Northeast and recently purchased a cape style home that is going to need a new heating system this summer. The house built in 1940 currently has natural gas forced hot air, with only 2 vents 1 upstairs and 1 downstairs. I am trying to decide if i should put in another hot air system or a baseboard hot water system. The other problem I have is that currently the house has a wood stove that is vented into the same flue as the furnace and I would like to vent the heating system/hotwater tank out the side of the house so that i dont have to have another flue put in. I have heard that hot water is a better heating system but i would like to get as many opinions as possible so i can make a good decision. All of your professional opinions would be greatly appreciated.
Thanks in advance Mike

Warning: The topics covered on this site include activities in which there exists the potential for serious injury or death. ContractorTalk.com DOES NOT guarantee the accuracy or completeness of any information contained on this site. Always use proper safety precaution and reference reliable outside sources before attempting any construction or remodeling task!

Old 02-11-2005, 12:22 AM   #2
Pro

Trade: General Contracting and Construction Recruiting
Rewards Points: 250

Re: Forced Hot Air Versus Baseboard Forced Hot Water

"but how do you cool your place? "

I lived in Boston for a while and honestly this is a concern for about 2 weeks in the summer.

I love my baseboard heat as it tends to heat the house much more evenly. However, it does take longer to warm it up and it does get dry as heck in here. An in-system humidifier is a nice advantage to a forced air system.

Tim

Old 02-11-2005, 12:30 AM   #3
Pro

Trade: Residential Contractor
Rewards Points: 2,000

maswift, please excuse ryan. He is our most recent 'villiage idiot' and will soon disappear.
Tim has been with us for a while and others will be along to answer your question.
Old 02-11-2005, 02:57 AM   #4
Pro

Trade: Wood working in spare time.
Rewards Points: 1,000

Any plumber will tell you hot water heat is the most comfortable you can have in your home. However the reason why you don't seen it very much in new construction is because everyone wants central aircondition. It is just cheaper to run forced air furnace through that duct work. But for people who can afford a expensive new home they will go will hotwater heat and central air which is much more expensive. Hot water is cheaper to operate in winter compared to forced air. My sister has forced air furnance same size house as mine here heating bill is 225-300 dollars during winter. I have hot water copper base board my heating bill is 110-150 dollars during winter. Unfortunately she has central air and I have to go with window airconditioning and and couple permently mounted in walls in bedrooms. Good luck.
Old 02-11-2005, 05:36 AM   #5

Thanks for all the opinions I am not worried about A/C, We can deal with the heat the two weeks out of the year here in the northeast.
Mike
Old 02-11-2005, 08:46 AM   #6
New Guy

Quote:
Originally Posted by Teetorbilt
maswift, please excuse ryan. He is our most recent 'villiage idiot' and will soon disappear.
Tim has been with us for a while and others will be along to answer your question.
Teetor, seriously what is your deal? I've only been here a few days, but it seems to me all you do is follow ryaniniowa around and harass him. I've never seen anything constructive from you in regards to anyone's original post. Now, I see this a lot on other forums from your basic noobie schmucks, but you are a MODERATOR for Pete's sake!
Man, grow up or chill out. But I guess anyone with a picture of another guy in their avatar has some issues anyway. Good luck with that. Is there an ignore feature in this place? I'd like to test it on you.
Old 02-11-2005, 02:41 PM   #7
Pro

Trade: General Contracting and Construction Recruiting
Rewards Points: 250

"I've only been here a few days"
"you are a MODERATOR"

Yep.

Tim