Florida Permit Pulling Question

Old 12-10-2009, 12:26 PM   #1

Trade: Doors and Windows
Rewards Points: 10

Florida Permit Pulling Question

Right now I sell and install doors and I have a specialy license in the 2 counties I cover. I ask the customers if they want me to pull the permits, 90% of the time they say they will pull the permits. 80% of those times the customer has not pulled the permit. I still install the door, but lately I have been worried about getting caught and whos responsibility it falls on. So if a inspecter pulled up who would be the one stuck paying the fine. Also what typically happens in this situation? Keep in mind I am licensed. How much are the fines typically.

Warning: The topics covered on this site include activities in which there exists the potential for serious injury or death. ContractorTalk.com DOES NOT guarantee the accuracy or completeness of any information contained on this site. Always use proper safety precaution and reference reliable outside sources before attempting any construction or remodeling task!

Advertisement

Old 12-10-2009, 12:51 PM   #2
Pro

Trade: Commercial Superintendent
Rewards Points: 1,728

Re: Florida Permit Pulling Question

Wow, permits are required to install dors in Florida? Replacement doors, or exactly what?

Advertisement

Old 12-10-2009, 12:52 PM   #3
Pompass Ass

Trade: Certified Building and Certified A/C Contractor
Rewards Points: 1,000

Quote:
Originally Posted by akimity View Post
Right now I sell and install doors and I have a specialy license in the 2 counties I cover. I ask the customers if they want me to pull the permits, 90% of the time they say they will pull the permits. 80% of those times the customer has not pulled the permit. I still install the door, but lately I have been worried about getting caught and whos responsibility it falls on. So if a inspecter pulled up who would be the one stuck paying the fine. Also what typically happens in this situation? Keep in mind I am licensed. How much are the fines typically.
You as the contractor are Required to pull the Permit, it is illegal as a licensed contractor to work under a Homeowners permit, unless you are a direct employee.

Where did you get your license?

You as the contractor are assumed to be the profesional and know what you are doing, you are the one who would be responsible for paying the fines.

Fines are usually triple the cost of the permit, but since the economy has gone into the crapper, many Cities have added a lot of other fees and raised permit costs.
The Following User Says Thank You to bwalley For This Useful Post:
ampman (12-10-2009)
Old 12-10-2009, 12:53 PM   #4
Pompass Ass

Quote:
Originally Posted by Anti-wingnut View Post
Wow, permits are required to install dors in Florida? Replacement doors, or exactly what?
Yes, they are a structural element, they have to have a Florida Product approval code and be inspected.
ampman (12-10-2009)
Old 12-10-2009, 01:58 PM   #5
Pro

Trade: Handyman
Rewards Points: 20

Quote:
Originally Posted by bwalley View Post
Yes, they are a structural element, they have to have a Florida Product approval code and be inspected.

Must be the state has a different view than the rest of us. Could you sefine structural to us. I have never heard of a door described as such.
Old 12-10-2009, 02:34 PM   #6
Pompass Ass

Quote:
Originally Posted by Framer53 View Post
Must be the state has a different view than the rest of us. Could you sefine structural to us. I have never heard of a door described as such.
In Florida we have wind issues, if the doors or windows do not meet windload requirements, and they get breached, you can lose the whole structure.

Plus they have to meet egress requirements as well.
ampman (12-10-2009)
Old 12-10-2009, 02:55 PM   #7
Pro

Trade: Handyman
Rewards Points: 20

Quote:
In Florida we have wind issues, if the doors or windows do not meet windload requirements, and they get breached, you can lose the whole structure.

Plus they have to meet egress requirements as well.

I am aware of Flas problem, but structural? Mis spoke?
Old 12-10-2009, 04:15 PM   #8

Quote:
You as the contractor are Required to pull the Permit, it is illegal as a licensed contractor to work under a Homeowners permit, unless you are a direct employee.

Where did you get your license?

You as the contractor are assumed to be the profesional and know what you are doing, you are the one who would be responsible for paying the fines.

Fines are usually triple the cost of the permit, but since the economy has gone into the crapper, many Cities have added a lot of other fees and raised permit costs.
From the counties? Why?
Old 12-10-2009, 07:30 PM   #9
Pompass Ass

Quote:
Originally Posted by Framer53 View Post
I am aware of Flas problem, but structural? Mis spoke?
Yes they are considered structural, that is what I meant to say.
Old 12-10-2009, 07:31 PM   #10
Pompass Ass

Quote:
From the counties? Why?
Did they make you take a competency test?

The reason I asked is because issues like this are usually discussed, at least on the state level exams.
Old 12-10-2009, 08:38 PM   #11
Pro

Trade: Carpentry / Fencing / Decks
Rewards Points: 500

Installing doors is probably a "specialty trade" in FL. No "contractors license" is needed. Only a business license.

Here homeowners can pull permits for specialty trades, but they must list them in the permit application. I usually have to fax over a copy of my license when they do.
Old 12-10-2009, 09:12 PM   #12
Pompass Ass

Quote:
Originally Posted by curapa View Post
Installing doors is probably a "specialty trade" in FL. No "contractors license" is needed. Only a business license.

Here homeowners can pull permits for specialty trades, but they must list them in the permit application. I usually have to fax over a copy of my license when they do.
Wrong, it requires a trade license.

If it is an interior door, there is a specialty carpentry license for that, but you still have to take a competency test to get the license.
Old 12-10-2009, 10:00 PM   #13

Trade: drywall
Rewards Points: 75

Quote:
Originally Posted by curapa View Post
Installing doors is probably a "specialty trade" in FL. No "contractors license" is needed.
Quote:
Wrong, it requires a trade license.

If it is an interior door, there is a specialty carpentry license for that, but you still have to take a competency test to get the license.

all specialty contractors have to take a competency test

copied from pinellas county construction licensing boards website www.pcclb.com

FINISH CARPENTRY CONTRACTOR
“Finish Carpentry Contractor” means a specialty contractor whose services are limited to the execution
and performance of contracts requiring the experience, knowledge and skill necessary for the onsite
fabrication, assembling, handling, erection, installation, dismantling, adjustments, alteration, repair and
servicing involving wood, light gauge steel, and allied construction materials.
The scope of such work shall include: paneling, interior and exterior trim, cabinets, bookshelves,

shelving, wood flooring, stair treads, risers, handrails, interior windows and doors
. The scope of such

work shall include non-structural framing, installation of exterior windows and doors involving only
existing openings and that are incidental to the wood construction work and shall not include any
structural modifications. The scope of such work shall comply with all plans, specifications, codes,
laws and regulations applicable.
The scope of such work shall include the work of Cabinet Contractor.
The “Finish Carpentry Contractor” shall not contract for any work of another trade that is included within
the scope of any other licensed contractor except as allowed under the cabinet contractor scope of
work.

(Established 1/21/03)
Old 12-10-2009, 10:05 PM   #14
Pro

Trade: Carpentry / Fencing / Decks
Rewards Points: 500

Wow, a competency test for finish carpentry. You guys are on the ball down there.
Old 12-10-2009, 10:26 PM   #15

Trade: drywall
Rewards Points: 75

here in Pinellas County, FL you have to have a license to do anything

The licensing board has people who drive around to sites and issues fines to the homeowner/builder and the people working for anybody caught working without a license, unless you are on the payroll for a licensed contractor.
Old 12-11-2009, 08:43 AM   #16
New Guy

Trade: Siding windows Screen Rooms
Rewards Points: 25

If a permit is required, then you as a contractor shouldnt even be asking the homeowner if they want a permit. You should pull it automaticaly- its the law!
The Following User Says Thank You to Kenm For This Useful Post:
bwalley (12-11-2009)
Old 12-11-2009, 08:56 AM   #17
General Contractor

Trade: General Contractor
Location: St. Petersburg, FL Minds of moderate caliber ordinarily condemn everything which is beyond their range.
Rewards Points: 4

It sounds impressive - I think we have something like 23 or 24 different licenses here in Pinellas - (California has around 46!) but like anything political, it's mainly about the money. The more licenses required, the more money raked in.

You should see just the extra TIF charges. (Impact fees). Over.........$22,000 (per 1,000 feet of land use) .......for a drive-in. Last I saw, hotels were charged around $3,000 per room. Then all the water & sewage impact fees... and all the environmental charges on top of that... not to mention the testing fees. It goes on and on.

And pray to God you never have to trim any mangrove trees! That task, alone will cost you months of hassle, and an arm and a leg in coin.

We have a lot of "historical districts", too. What a nightmare when you get into THAT mess.

Last edited by Willie T; 12-11-2009 at 09:07 AM.
Old 12-11-2009, 09:33 AM   #18

I did take a test for Siding, Windows, and Doors and Business Law. The funny thing is they never went over the legal issues on who has to pull the permit. The test were a prometric exam. The tests are required to get a specialty license.

So to clarify, in Florida I must pull the permit myself?
Old 12-11-2009, 09:47 AM   #19
Pompass Ass

Quote:
I did take a test for Siding, Windows, and Doors and Business Law. The funny thing is they never went over the legal issues on who has to pull the permit. The test were a prometric exam. The tests are required to get a specialty license.

So to clarify, in Florida I must pull the permit myself?
Yes.

Just to make sure call the building department and tell them you have been having the homeowner pull the permit for you.

Do you have a set of Code books or a Contractors manual?

If not you should get a set and read them.
Old 12-11-2009, 03:26 PM   #20

I don't think it's a good idea to call the county and tell them that the home owners have been pulling the permits. The jobs were inspected and passed so why try to stir up some problems for myself. Moving on I will start to pull permits and add it to the price. I also will be calling the county and ask them it is true that the home owner cannot pull the permit if I'm installing.

Advertisement