It Finally Happened

Old 12-23-2017, 12:34 AM   #1
EVIL GENIUS

Trade: General Contractor, electrical, fabrication, & wel
Rewards Points: 4,892

It Finally Happened

I dont have a clue how many times Ive been crawling around in attic space but it finally happened today. Im blowing in insulation on 6 duplexes built in the 60s. Im about 3 hours into crawling around on ceiling joists in the dusty darkness and I get to the point where Im over the garage and blowing it above the kitchen. There was a small strip of plywood I could kneel down on. So Im on me knees and my toes were touching the drywall and at some point I must have put some weight on my toes. It was 1/2 on 24" so it didnt take much. Plus these places are in a wet hole so everything is damp in them. I caught myself and got out of the hole, otherwise I would have ended up on the hood of a pontiac vibe. I was hoping to be done early today but instead had to work late patching the ceiling.
Attached Thumbnails
It finally happened-oops1.jpg   It finally happened-oops2.jpg  

Global warming is a myth, like evolution and the metric system.
U.S. Coast Guard
The Following 8 Users Say Thank You to Michaeljp86 For This Useful Post:
asevereid (12-23-2017), fjn (12-26-2017), goneelkn (12-23-2017), hdavis (12-23-2017), Inner10 (12-23-2017), Metro M & L (12-23-2017), Robie (12-23-2017), SmallTownGuy (12-23-2017)

Warning: The topics covered on this site include activities in which there exists the potential for serious injury or death. ContractorTalk.com DOES NOT guarantee the accuracy or completeness of any information contained on this site. Always use proper safety precaution and reference reliable outside sources before attempting any construction or remodeling task!

Advertisement

Old 12-23-2017, 09:55 AM   #2

Trade: Remodeler
Rewards Points: 80

Re: It Finally Happened

Quote:
Originally Posted by Michaeljp86 View Post
I dont have a clue how many times Ive been crawling around in attic space but it finally happened today. Im blowing in insulation on 6 duplexes built in the 60s. Im about 3 hours into crawling around on ceiling joists in the dusty darkness and I get to the point where Im over the garage and blowing it above the kitchen. There was a small strip of plywood I could kneel down on. So Im on me knees and my toes were touching the drywall and at some point I must have put some weight on my toes. It was 1/2 on 24" so it didnt take much. Plus these places are in a wet hole so everything is damp in them. I caught myself and got out of the hole, otherwise I would have ended up on the hood of a pontiac vibe. I was hoping to be done early today but instead had to work late patching the ceiling.
Always worried about that when I'm up in the attic. At six foot 4 240 I'm not exactly in a comfortable situation up there. Glad you're okay. That's the main part

Sent from my SM-N950U using Tapatalk

Advertisement

The Following User Says Thank You to Jrno1 For This Useful Post:
Metro M & L (12-23-2017)
Old 12-23-2017, 10:01 AM   #3
Capra aegagrus

Trade: Remodeler
Rewards Points: 2,049

Never done that yet, knock on wood. I'm pretty much good all day with knees & toes on 16" centers. 24" is miserable; I usually grab a couple of planks for that.

Old 12-23-2017, 11:24 AM   #4
Pro

Trade: Remodeling (mostly kitch/bath)
Rewards Points: 2,796

If there ever is a best pace to blow through a ceiling it's in the garage. Glad you're OK.

I've done it twice...neither were in garage.
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to kirkdc For This Useful Post:
dprimc (12-26-2017), Metro M & L (12-23-2017)
Old 12-23-2017, 01:19 PM   #5
Pro

Trade: entrepreneur of excavating expertise
Rewards Points: 1,898

Why doesn't somebody design a robotic, 3 foot long tracked blower, directional spout, with a camera on it.

Have a remote controlled deflector like on a snow blower so you can put it where you want it?

That way you wouldn't have to crawl around up there

Sent from my SCH-I545 using Tapatalk
The Following 7 Users Say Thank You to dayexco For This Useful Post:
Artworks (12-23-2017), Defenestrate (12-25-2017), dprimc (12-26-2017), jproffer (01-08-2018), Rio (12-25-2017), Robie (12-23-2017), SmallTownGuy (12-23-2017)
Old 12-23-2017, 01:40 PM   #6
EVIL GENIUS

Quote:
Originally Posted by kirkdc View Post
If there ever is a best pace to blow through a ceiling it's in the garage. Glad you're OK.

I've done it twice...neither were in garage.
I got lucky there, it was right in front of the car so nothing hit the car and it wasnt one of the unit where the tenants have the garage packed to the ceiling with junk.

Quote:
Originally Posted by dayexco View Post
Why doesn't somebody design a robotic, 3 foot long tracked blower, directional spout, with a camera on it.

Have a remote controlled deflector like on a snow blower so you can put it where you want it?

That way you wouldn't have to crawl around up there

Sent from my SCH-I545 using Tapatalk
Ive thought about that but then again you have to drag the robot up there. Then it will get hung up or the hose will so you have to get back up there.

U.S. Coast Guard
Old 12-23-2017, 01:49 PM   #7
Pro

Trade: remodeling
Rewards Points: 9,011

There you go trying to put people out of a job.
Old 12-23-2017, 01:58 PM   #8
Pro

Trade: Electrical Contractor
Rewards Points: 2,010

That happened to me twice in the same house. This was a long time ago when I first got started.

The HO and his dad put up all new drywall, paint, texture, the whole nine yards. Ceiling, walls, you name it. Then he calls me to come in and replace all the knob and tube wiring

Plus he had an unpermitted rental in the old garage. Everything was run off a fully loaded Zinsco panel.

I needed the job and the money (after all this, I think I ended working for $20 an hour tops on this POS job).

120 degrees in the attic crawl. All unmarked, not to code wiring installed by some handyman. This was all wire nutted to K&T.

Slipped off the joists, cracked the cracked the kitchen ceiling. Same in the bathroom, although there, my leg went through. Probably lost 20lbs just in sweat on this job. Luckily, he was getting such a cheap deal from me, he just went ahead and patched it all himself.
The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to cwatbay For This Useful Post:
kirkdc (12-26-2017), Rio (12-25-2017), SmallTownGuy (12-23-2017)
Old 12-23-2017, 02:00 PM   #9
Contractor of the Month

Trade: Control Systems
Rewards Points: 12,472

I've never done it but I've come close, I blistered a sheet one time.

One guy who worked for another company did it 3 times in 3 months...
Old 12-23-2017, 02:02 PM   #10
John the Builder

Trade: Carpenter/Builder
Rewards Points: 9,896

Quote:
Originally Posted by cwatbay View Post
That happened to me twice in the same house. This was a long time ago when I first got started.

The HO and his dad put up all new drywall, paint, texture, the whole nine yards. Ceiling, walls, you name it. Then he calls me to come in and replace all the knob and tube wiring

Plus he had an unpermitted rental in the old garage. Everything was run off a fully loaded Zinsco panel.

I needed the job and the money (after all this, I think I ended working for $20 an hour tops on this POS job).

120 degrees in the attic crawl. All unmarked, not to code wiring installed by some handyman. This was all wire nutted to K&T.

Slipped off the joists, cracked the cracked the kitchen ceiling. Same in the bathroom, although there, my leg went through. Probably lost 20lbs just in sweat on this job. Luckily, he was getting such a cheap deal from me, he just went ahead and patched it all himself.
zinsco - GRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRR!
rrk (12-23-2017)
Old 12-23-2017, 02:07 PM   #11
Contractor of the Month

Trade: Control Systems
Rewards Points: 12,472

Quote:
Originally Posted by cwatbay View Post

Sounds like he got what he paid for.
Old 12-23-2017, 02:22 PM   #12
Pro

Trade: Electrical Contractor
Rewards Points: 2,010

Quote:
Originally Posted by Inner10 View Post
Sounds like he got what he paid for.
Yep, this was the job from hell. A nice learning experience. After all that and going back over a dozen times, he gives me a bad review.

BTW: this was a techie sales guy who lost his job, luckily his wife still had a decent job. He was trying to become a backyard brewmeister and make his way into the micro-brew business. He was recommended to me by another tech middle manager who lost his job and was trying to be the go-between for people with "bright ideas" and people with money.
Old 12-23-2017, 02:27 PM   #13

Trade: Carpentry
Rewards Points: 8

I've done it twice.... In my own house, fun!
Old 12-23-2017, 08:29 PM   #14
Pro

Trade: Exterior Remodeling
Rewards Points: 958

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tinstaafl View Post
Never done that yet, knock on wood. I'm pretty much good all day with knees & toes on 16" centers. 24" is miserable; I usually grab a couple of planks for that.
Don't remember the last time was in a house with 16" ceiling joists, Pretty much all 24" around here.

Sent from my LG-V520 using Tapatalk
The Following User Says Thank You to Randy Bush For This Useful Post:
Californiadecks (12-24-2017)
Old 12-24-2017, 06:32 AM   #15
Pro

Trade: remodeling
Rewards Points: 1,892

I used to do a lot of attic work in apartment buildings. A co worker went completely through the ceiling and landed on his feet, did not smash his face on the 16 oc joists. He was very lucky.

We also had a guy who would walk directly on the plaster and lath not on the joists. He lasted 2 days.
Old 12-25-2017, 09:17 AM   #16
EVIL GENIUS

There was roofers at the wifes dads house and one guy went through the roof and through the ceiling into a bedroom. Took out a ceiling fan and landed on a bed. He said he ankle felt like he might have sprained it. Not sure how he managed to miss all the framing to make it all the way into the house.

U.S. Coast Guard
Old 12-26-2017, 06:18 AM   #17
Kitchen Cabinets NJ

Trade: Kitchen Cabinets
Rewards Points: 528

You're lucky, glad all is good!
Old 12-26-2017, 10:27 AM   #18
Pro

Trade: mason
Rewards Points: 9,132

I would not beat myself up over that. Every once and awhile ,even a monkey will fall out of a tree and they are excellent climbers. Just comes with the territory.
Old 12-26-2017, 09:04 PM   #19
Wormdrive Operator

Trade: Contractor
Rewards Points: 6,492

I slipped on a funny joist (top was broken a bit) while showing my helper how to vacuum between the joists. Broke through into their livingroom ceiling and slammed my hip on the joist. Patched it quick but had to pay a texture guy to spray the whole ceiling.

Sent from my SM-G930W8 using Tapatalk
Old 01-02-2018, 01:13 PM   #20
Just Jennifer - The Paint

Trade: Painter / Faux Finisher
Rewards Points: 510

Makes me love my really old house! My whole attic is boarded over with some boards removable. The insulators had no trouble at all. If you could stand up you could walk all over it. (You can not stand up, its a low ceiling)

Advertisement