Epoxy Garage Floor Flammable?

Old 12-15-2017, 08:46 PM   #1

Trade: Remodel
Rewards Points: 4

Epoxy Garage Floor Flammable?

I just had a subcontractor install a second coat of epoxy on a small two car garage floor today (approx 12 hours ago). The homeowners are currently out of town. My concern is any potential flammable off gassing. The garage does have a unit heater that was set low but will come on over night as we will get down around 20 degree temperatures tonight. With the garage completely closed should there be any worry about the heater running overnight while the floor continues to cure? Would there still be any potentially flammable fumes 12 hours or more after installation? I do not have any specifics on the epoxy used. Thanks.

Warning: The topics covered on this site include activities in which there exists the potential for serious injury or death. ContractorTalk.com DOES NOT guarantee the accuracy or completeness of any information contained on this site. Always use proper safety precaution and reference reliable outside sources before attempting any construction or remodeling task!

Advertisement

Old 12-15-2017, 10:31 PM   #2
Pro

Trade: Remodeling
Rewards Points: 2,790

Re: Epoxy Garage Floor Flammable?

You'll probably know soon. I think I would have contacted the manufacturer if I had any concerns.

Advertisement

Old 12-15-2017, 11:08 PM   #3
Pro

Rewards Points: 3,410

Why didn't you shut the power and gas off to the heater?

Tom

Old 12-15-2017, 11:19 PM   #4
Pro

Trade: Home Improvement Contractor
Rewards Points: 1,348

Epoxy coating when the temps will get below freezing?
Old 12-15-2017, 11:23 PM   #5

I had not expected the painter doing the job to turn on the heat as the thermostat is all the way in the back corner of the garage where it could not be accessed after the epoxy was installed. Upon checking on the job at the approximately 3 hours ago I discovered it was left on when speaking to the sub. They had completely closed up the garage for approximately 8 hours prior to this and I am unsure if the unit heater had ran during the day but expect that it had not. I have checked on the job twice and opened both garage doors for about 15 minutes to allow it to air out. It has now been almost 12 hours since installation. I do not know the brand of material used. The unit heater did run while garage doors were open. The only options we have at this point would either be to leave the overhead doors slightly open although that would leave the unit heater running all night with temperatures getting below 20 and leave me with concerns of it causing issues with the unit heater, walk across the floor and shut the unit off ruining the floor or if it should not be of concern to leave it as it is with the man door slightly cracked approx 1/4-1/2" as to not allow a large amount of air in and make the heater run all night. I personally do not have any experience with the epoxy floor coverings and this has left me concerned. The sub contractor and my higher up did not feel like it should be an issue but I am looking for some more advice and knowledge of those with experience in these coverings. I do know it was a roll on application. Thanks
Old 12-16-2017, 12:28 AM   #6
Designer/Contractor

Trade: General Contractor
Rewards Points: 1,818

Kind of late now but if you have the name of the manufacturer and the product you could try going online and seeing if there is any information on their website, if they have one, see if there is a MSDS (Material Safety Data Sheet).
Old 12-16-2017, 12:32 AM   #7
Pro

Rewards Points: 2,790

At what temp was it applied both air and surface? Might want to tell the clients not to drive on it until July 2018.
Old 12-16-2017, 01:24 AM   #8

Avenge, you don't seem to have much positive to add to discussions. I will keep that in mind for future posts. If you are curious it was applied around 55-60 degree temperature. I know not ideal but customers were insistent on wanting it done. For my own piece of mind and as a precaution I have went back to the jobsite and completely turned off the unit heater in the garage as well as left overhead doors cracked open for ventilation. If this causes any future problems with the finish we will deal with that as needed. It did receive approximately 14 hours of cure time at over 65 degrees so we will hope for the best. It will not be used for a minimum of 2 weeks.
Old 12-16-2017, 05:46 AM   #9
This space for lease

Trade: General
Rewards Points: 4,628

Your weather is going from 65 to 20? That's pretty extreme, you don't say where you are BUT it's up to you to know what the weather will be when doing a job like that. A concrete floor is going to be much colder than ambient temps, you know. It doesn't matter what the h/o insists on, if the coating doesn't cure and gets messed up you'll have to redo it. I would have waited for spring or summer myself.
Old 12-16-2017, 07:53 AM   #10
Pro

Trade: Constructioneer; LEED AP BD+C
Rewards Points: 1,548

Might want to try posting in the flooring section at garage journal.com. There's several epoxy distributors there that can help out.
The Following User Says Thank You to rustyjames For This Useful Post:
Robie (12-16-2017)
Old 12-16-2017, 08:56 AM   #11
Pro

Trade: Remodeling (mostly kitch/bath)
Rewards Points: 2,796

A little too late. Try to plan ahead when it comes to safety issues like this. IMO both you and the sub are at fault. And who is your "higher up" person.

A total greenhorn mistake IMO. Or a DIY HO blunder. Anyone ever read the label directions anymore?
Old 12-16-2017, 09:34 AM   #12
Pro

Trade: Electrical Contractor
Rewards Points: 2,006

Quote:
Originally Posted by kirkdc View Post
A little too late. Try to plan ahead when it comes to safety issues like this. IMO both you and the sub are at fault. And who is your "higher up" person.

A total greenhorn mistake IMO. Or a DIY HO blunder. Anyone ever read the label directions anymore?

I agree with these statements. It looks like lack of planning and lack of experience in doing this kind of job. The contractor is responsible for what his subs do, that is part of the deal. If the sub screws up, it's not only the sub's fault and duty to fix it, but it is also the contractor's duty to make sure that sub: knows what he is doing, and, to fix any mistakes. The buck stops with the contractor that hired the sub.
The Following User Says Thank You to cwatbay For This Useful Post:
Dirtywhiteboy (12-16-2017)
Old 12-26-2017, 05:26 AM   #13
Pro

Trade: roofing and other envied trades
Rewards Points: 972

Quote:
Originally Posted by SuperiorHIP View Post
Epoxy coating when the temps will get below freezing?
Right!

Hey superseal what part of louisana are u in?
Old 12-26-2017, 05:41 AM   #14
Pro

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rnikers View Post
Avenge, you don't seem to have much positive to add to discussions. I will keep that in mind for future posts. If you are curious it was applied around 55-60 degree temperature. I know not ideal but customers were insistent on wanting it done. For my own piece of mind and as a precaution I have went back to the jobsite and completely turned off the unit heater

in the garage as well as left overhead doors cracked open for ventilation. If this causes any future problems with the finish we will deal with that as needed. It did receive approximately 14 hours of cure time at over 65 degrees so we will hope for the best. It will not be used for a minimum of 2 weeks.

Yeah AVENGE! Next time this chick lays an epoxy floor in 20 degree weather because the homeowner said to do it and she forgets to turn the gas heater off even though epoxy fumes could never combust especially since she didnt use any accellerator to dry up this floor that noone is using for 2 weeks but they had to have it done right then and she needs a great idea like "go over there and open up the doors so every leaf and piece of dirt and critter can be stuck to it in the morning SHES NOT GONNA ASK YOU! JERK! OH AND SHES GONNA REMEMBER THAT YOU WERE SO UNHELPFUL IN THE FUTURE AND NOT HELP YOU WITH ANY OF HER GENIUS IDEAS HOW YOU LIKE THAT. Now what are you gonna do you hack!?
Old 12-26-2017, 05:44 AM   #15
Pro

14 hours of cure time. Lol. And its still not dry? OMG YOU BETTER GO OVER THERE RIGHT NOW THE WHOLE HOUSE IS GONNA BLOW FROM ALL THE TRAPPED GASSING.
Old 12-26-2017, 06:08 AM   #16
Pro

Trade: remodeling
Rewards Points: 8,959

Don't get your nikers in a bunch.
Old 12-26-2017, 04:08 PM   #17
Pro

Trade: General Contractor
Rewards Points: 590

There are products specifically designed for cold weather applications. Hopefully that is what was used. As for fumes being combustable, it is a very real possibility, although highly unlikely after several hours. The initial off gas would be most likely to be a problem, and the further from that, the risk diminishes pretty rapidly, even in closed spaces.

Without knowing what products were used, its all just guess work. There are lots of polyaspartics and urethanes that stink like crazy and aren't flamable.

Cold temps can cause the smell to linger a lot longer as well, as a 2nd top coat can trap solvents curing out of the first coat, even if it was dry to the touch when the final coat went down.

Old 12-26-2017, 09:11 PM   #18
Pro

Im gonna go with any polyurea product has combustable vapors and no epoxies do unless heated to a degree which would already indicate a fire is present.

Advertisement