Employee Tool List

Old 12-28-2010, 08:35 PM   #1

Trade: General Contractor
Rewards Points: 10

Employee Tool List

I am at the end of my rope with having to supply tools that carpenters should supply themselves. I am curious what kind of tool list other contractors require there apprentices and carpenters to supply. The other thing is harnesses. The guys at work have not been looking after them and they get stolen from not making it back into the job boxes at night. I donít know if I can legally make them supply them but I offered to subsidise the cost and told them they must supply their own from now on. Anyone have any time proven methods of dealing with these situations. I have been trying different things to motivate guys for ten years.

Warning: The topics covered on this site include activities in which there exists the potential for serious injury or death. ContractorTalk.com DOES NOT guarantee the accuracy or completeness of any information contained on this site. Always use proper safety precaution and reference reliable outside sources before attempting any construction or remodeling task!

Old 12-28-2010, 08:45 PM   #2
Pro

Trade: Everything Exterior, Mostly Roofing.
Rewards Points: 2,378

Re: Employee Tool List

I lose a lot of pry bars, hammer tackers (bought 5 this year), tear off tools.. Etc.

Guys sure take care better of things when it their own. I quit buying it and I tell them that anything they need, I can buy for them and deduct it from their check.

Well I got things once and they have had the same tools for awhile.

Old 12-28-2010, 08:48 PM   #3
SEMI RETIRED

Rewards Points: 3,566

Carpenters are expected to have all hand tools. Most will have a cordless drill & skil saw. Safety equipment is your responsibility. At least around here.
Old 12-28-2010, 08:49 PM   #4
Pro

Trade: Construction
Rewards Points: 48

Quote:
Originally Posted by DC Limited View Post
I am at the end of my rope with having to supply tools that carpenters should supply themselves. I am curious what kind of tool list other contractors require there apprentices and carpenters to supply. The other thing is harnesses. The guys at work have not been looking after them and they get stolen from not making it back into the job boxes at night. I donít know if I can legally make them supply them but I offered to subsidise the cost and told them they must supply their own from now on. Anyone have any time proven methods of dealing with these situations. I have been trying different things to motivate guys for ten years.

Do these guys work for you full time? If so then Do you pay them enough to supply their own tools. Many I have worked with in the last few years have supplied their own but they was on good money. The ones that didn't were on low wages.
Old 12-28-2010, 08:53 PM   #5
Custom Builder

Rewards Points: 502

I require hand tools and bags for apprentices and lower journeymen carpenters. The higher paid guys I expect to have some more of there own and most do. You have to supply fall protection and safety gear, safety glasses, ear plugs, hard hats, safty vest, etc. If you get stuff thats uncomfortable or looks goofy (pink hard hats so they dont get stolen)thell get there own. as I understand it here. Also your responsible for the fall protection as far as inspecting, age and if its still good. Check tools like fall protection out, if they lose it and want to work they have to by a new one. You cant make an employee pay for something unless its gross negligence. However if you check it out and loan it to them that's another story. Ive lost tons of tools. Saws, guns, levels getting left out and bam there gone in the morning.

Last edited by Chris@Sunrise; 12-28-2010 at 08:56 PM.
Old 12-28-2010, 09:14 PM   #6

I do feel I pay an competitive wage and supply vehicles for some employee's I just think I started a bad habit when we had only a few employees and it just spiraled. Now that there is 10-12 of us I have to step back and let them be responsible for their own stuff. I requested they bring tools before and the trucks were packed and alot of the tools were junk. So I told them to take the crap home. Also the problem of them not replacing their own broken and lost stuff. I was just looking for a system someone might have in place to help.
Old 12-28-2010, 09:23 PM   #7
Pro

Trade: Stupidintendent for a Commercial GC
Rewards Points: 260

IIRC (per osha) harnesses are supplied and issued by the employer when needed, that's not to say you cannot make them replace your equipment when lost or damaged. Or send them home when they don't have the harness.

We supply all electrical tools, because you always get one knucklehead without a guard or what have you. Hand tools are mandatory, different for each trade obviously. Shovels, picks, bars, demo stuff we buy though.

Also, make one of the employee's responsible for tools and equipment, let him stop working 15-20 mins early to track stuff down.
The Following User Says Thank You to Elyrain For This Useful Post:
Chris@Sunrise (12-28-2010)
Old 12-28-2010, 09:26 PM   #8
Pro

Trade: Renovation contractor, finish carpenter
Rewards Points: 500

It will hurt you schedule from time to time but what may work is to send

the offender home for the day. If your men don't have the proper safety

equiptment then they cannot work. Once you send the message and the

guys figure you are serious then the problem should take care of its self.

I had a guy that was always late till one day I sent him home with no pay

for the day. He is usually the first one on site now.

Good luck. Chad
Old 12-28-2010, 10:12 PM   #9
topsail's trimcat

Trade: finish Carpenter/ renovations
Rewards Points: 2,146

what guys are expected to own varies from company to company. i was with a large commercial outfit a few years back, anything tool that costs over $200 that the employee provides entitles them to an extra $1.00 /hr while working. this doesnt mean a guy can go out and buy a festool electric tape measure and get more money its more for large ticket items

the standard across the board though for a carpenter is

nail bag stocked with
-hammer
-cats paw
tape measure + 1 spare
chalk line
speed square
knife and blades
screwdriver

from there, things like 3 different size hand levels. extension chord, 50 ft of light gauge rope. corded or cordless drill and common size bits and drivers, hand saw, pliers, snips, adjustable wrench. block plane

extended lists can include a circ saw, jig saw, recip saw with blades to be provided by the contractor based on the task being done.. circ saw blades every couple weeks if framing. recip blades bought for the job itself when demo is being done or as needed.

saftey equipment thats mandatory are boots, hard hats, saftey glasses, hearing protection. extra safety glasses and hearing protection should be kept in stock in the job box or trailer though via the contractor but not in larg amounts. i agree with others where a harness should be provided by the contractor as the use of them is only needed based on whats being done and they are a bigger expense. if the company spends all day every day up on roofs or up in lifts then its better for the employee to pay for it
Old 12-28-2010, 11:11 PM   #10
Nouveau Eccentric

Trade: masonry/hardscaping
Rewards Points: 748

I totaly agree with, kirk.

Back in the day, carpenters had big wooden or long metal tool boxes full of hand tools. Your bags, were for what you needed, for that days work.
Today, I consider electric drills, saws, routers and the like, hand tools.

Same goes for the masons. Full bag of tools and levels.

Same for Electrician, Rockers, painters, etc.

Plumbers and fitters, they're a different breed.
I wouldn't expect them to supply their own gas or have their own threader.

Everyone was expected to have their own safty equipment, what little there was. Hard hat, safty glasses, boots.

I see no reason why it should any different today.

Except for the harness. If it is only used on occasion, the company should supply. If you wear it everyday, I for one, would certantly want my own.

As said, when they buy their own tools, they take better care of them and keep closer tabs on them.

I wouldn't even consider hiring a guy without his own tools.
Or transportation, (with license) for that matter.

Just my opinion, D.

fb
Old 12-28-2010, 11:43 PM   #11
Custom Builder

Rewards Points: 502

Quote:
Originally Posted by Diamond D. View Post
I totaly agree with, kirk.

Back in the day, carpenters had big wooden or long metal tool boxes full of hand tools. Your bags, were for what you needed, for that days work.
Today, I consider electric drills, saws, routers and the like, hand tools.

Same goes for the masons. Full bag of tools and levels.

Same for Electrician, Rockers, painters, etc.

Plumbers and fitters, they're a different breed.
I wouldn't expect them to supply their own gas or have their own threader.

Everyone was expected to have their own safty equipment, what little there was. Hard hat, safty glasses, boots.

I see no reason why it should any different today.

Except for the harness. If it is only used on occasion, the company should supply. If you wear it everyday, I for one, would certantly want my own.

As said, when they buy their own tools, they take better care of them and keep closer tabs on them.

I wouldn't even consider hiring a guy without his own tools.
Or transportation, (with license) for that matter.

Just my opinion, D.
One thing I don't want is guys bringing power tools on site. I have all the power tools and cords, hoses that are needed. All cords and power tools are regularly inspected and labeled as per osha rules. The last thing I need is to get fined because some yahoo is missing a ground prong on a tool or cord, or the guard sticks, or some other thing that's beyond my control. Liability is to high nowadays to take the chance. I consider power tools to carpenters like mixers, quickie saws and guillotines are to masons.
The Following User Says Thank You to Chris@Sunrise For This Useful Post:
JustaFramer (12-29-2010)
Old 12-29-2010, 01:29 AM   #12
Nouveau Eccentric

Trade: masonry/hardscaping
Rewards Points: 748

Quote:
Originally Posted by ubenhad4 View Post
One thing I don't want is guys bringing power tools on site. I have all the power tools and cords, hoses that are needed. All cords and power tools are regularly inspected and labeled as per osha rules. The last thing I need is to get fined because some yahoo is missing a ground prong on a tool or cord, or the guard sticks, or some other thing that's beyond my control. Liability is to high nowadays to take the chance. I consider power tools to carpenters like mixers, quickie saws and guillotines are to masons.
Exelent point. You are correct, Sir. My mistake.

I was thinking of how I treat My tools.

Of course you will have some ya-hoo, that just dosen't care.
It's a throw away society.

Taking your comment into account, then the company owner, should probably supply the harness as well and inspect them daily.

Can't be to safe, the liability, I mean.

D.

fb
Old 12-29-2010, 02:14 AM   #13
I eat sawdust.

Trade: Deck Design/Build
Rewards Points: 2,000

IMO, you should have a trusted guy on site (the guy in charge when you aren't there) that you pay more than the others that is responsible for making sure the company tools are put away properly at the end of the day.

Working for me, a carpenter should have transportation, hand tools, a skilsaw and a cordless drill. I will supply everything else.

If stuff starts getting lost or broken more than normal either the guy supplies his own or don't let the door hit you in the ass on the way out. I value employees and their contributions to the company but there are limits to how much you can not care about your job. I get many calls and emails from people looking for a job.
Old 12-29-2010, 03:00 AM   #14
Pro

Rewards Points: 500

had a guy that worked for me once...paid him hourly but it was decent money

it was double what he was making before so i figured the guy couldnt have much to complain about.....few months into it he starts saying since well hes using all of his stuff he should get paid more..some of the jobs were straight sub contract jobs

he mentioned this one day while he was using my extension ladder on a job...kinda laughed

few weeks later i went into lowes for something and he was working on a seperate job and the one guy said hey you know he bought a 300 ladder on your account!

needless to say his check was light that week and that was it

if they get paid decent they need to have some tools..i dont mind having people use mine as long as the attitude and respect is there
Old 12-29-2010, 08:05 AM   #15
Pro

Trade: Remodeling contractor
Rewards Points: 1,002

This is the list we used when I worked for 6 - 10 employees

LEAD CARPENTER AND CARPENTER'S HELPER
BASIC REQUIRED TOOL LIST

Your Company encourages an attitude of craftsmanship among its employees. In this spirit it is hoped that an employee will take pride in his collection of tools.

POLICY

The following is a list of basic tools required of carpenters.

TOOL LIST
Carpenter’s apron
Finish hammer
Framing hammer
Speed square
Framing square
Bevel gauge
Combination square
24", 48" and 72" level
10” or 12” crescent wrench
Socket set
Screwdriver set: slot and Philips blades
Nail sets: small, medium and large
Compass scribe
Chisel set
Small block plane
Minimum 25' tape measure
50' or 100' tape measure
Hand saw
Hacksaw
Flat bar
Crowbar
Cats paw
Line man side cutting pliers
Bull nose cutting pliers
Caulking gun
2- 12" & 2- 16" Jorgensen bar clamps
Utility knife
Circular saw
Sawzall
Cordless or corded drill with bits
Jig saw
Tool box or toolbag

This list is for the Carpenters & helpers.
There was another list for the Lead carpenters added to this one for the big items (Miter saw, Table saw etc.)

Ladders, staging, heaters, Vacs etc was supplied by the company

Hope this helps the OP
Old 12-29-2010, 08:06 AM   #16
New Guy

I have been in construction in one fashion or another for over 40 years. I had my own business and have worked for both small and larger contractors. One thing that I have noticed no matter where I was working is that the good guys - the ones that are making construction their careers - take pride in having and using their own equipment.

Having a few guys like that on your crew will (hopefully) inspire your other workers. Then it's a matter of making one of your lead-hands, or the super responsible for having everything put away at the end of the day.

The worst case senario that we faced was projects in the middle of the Sahara Desert in Algeria. We shipped container loads of tools and equipmment there. We had one long-time employee in charge of that equipment - and I mean everything. He was the only person with a key to the tool containers other than the spare key that the Project Manager had. He signed out each tool at the start of the shift. He then had to sign the tools back in at the end of the day.

All we lost was maybe a couple of small tools on these projects of 2-5 million dollars. The man in charge of the tools only lost about 1 hour of time per day. It was well worth the effort. The tools were kept in good condition and on the site.

To make a long story short, a few good people and someone responsible for the tools will go a long way. Anyone that willfully is negligent is history. You don't need them.

Brian
PrefabMetalBuildingKits.com
Old 12-29-2010, 09:12 AM   #17
Pro

Trade: Repair/Remodel
Rewards Points: 2,604
Send a message via MSN to KennMacMoragh

When I was in the carpenters union, they gave us two tool lists. One for apprentices and one for journeymen, of course the journeymen were expected to have more. I think I still have that list, if you want I can try and dig it up later. Employees aren't allowed to bring their own power tools in the union, so it was basically; employees provide hand tools, employer provides power tools.

If it's a non-union company, I would expect the employee to at least provide their own skilsaw. But in my opinion, if you're an employer then you have no business complaining about what tools your people have or don't have if you do not provide them with a list. The reason is because I used to work for a framing company, and I remember I had to spend about $150 in 100' tapes. It's because no one else ever had one, so I would loan mine to people and they would get lost.

So I thought to myself, "well screw them, if my boss doesn't want to supply us with a required tool list and expect everyone else to have tools, then why should I be expected to keep buying tools for the company?" So I just quit buying 100' tapes, and we wouldn't have any. It may have been an issue when we had to square up a long wall using a small tape measure, who knows how many walls came up out of square. But if my employer wants to be lazy and not provide us with a tool list, that's their problem. I should not have to be the one to keep pouring in money, supplying tools for them. While everyone else doesn't buy anything.

Am I right?
JustaFramer (12-29-2010)
Old 12-29-2010, 10:00 AM   #18

Trade: Millwright
Rewards Points: 25

Quote:
Originally Posted by KennMacMoragh View Post
When I was in the carpenters union, they gave us two tool lists. One for apprentices and one for journeymen, of course the journeymen were expected to have more. I think I still have that list, if you want I can try and dig it up later. Employees aren't allowed to bring their own power tools in the union, so it was basically; employees provide hand tools, employer provides power tools.

If it's a non-union company, I would expect the employee to at least provide their own skilsaw. But in my opinion, if you're an employer then you have no business complaining about what tools your people have or don't have if you do not provide them with a list. The reason is because I used to work for a framing company, and I remember I had to spend about $150 in 100' tapes. It's because no one else ever had one, so I would loan mine to people and they would get lost.

So I thought to myself, "well screw them, if my boss doesn't want to supply us with a required tool list and expect everyone else to have tools, then why should I be expected to keep buying tools for the company?" So I just quit buying 100' tapes, and we wouldn't have any. It may have been an issue when we had to square up a long wall using a small tape measure, who knows how many walls came up out of square. But if my employer wants to be lazy and not provide us with a tool list, that's their problem. I should not have to be the one to keep pouring in money, supplying tools for them. While everyone else doesn't buy anything.

Am I right?
I agree with your statement 100%.
Old 12-29-2010, 12:16 PM   #19
Pro

Trade: Ornamental Plasterer/Restorer
Rewards Points: 608

I have my own tools and don't need employee's cheap, used and abused tools...even I don't like to lend my tools...even hand saw...you know how hard to find straight hand saw...and I don't know why but mostly borrowers cut through the nails....
Old 12-29-2010, 12:42 PM   #20
wannabe

Trade: carpentry
Rewards Points: 1,000

Quote:
Originally Posted by KennMacMoragh View Post

Am I right?
I'm with you....the new company owner decided to go with a tool list and lumped us all into 3 groups. Apprentice, carpenter, job captain......

Carpenters get a $50mo stipend, 'captains' $200mo. for vehicle compensation.

I was a foreman for a couple years until the economy slowed. I own all the tools, the truck, but I'm 6th off the bench. The company doesn't want to hire and add another crew and I don't meet his criteria for the $200 stipend.

I'm dialed up with tools, truck, ladder rack etc....with the new tool list, I'm only required to carry a cordless drill, circ. saw, and sawzall......I don't hold up a project, and I take pride in my job, but everyone knows how I feel about the new policy. I leave my tools in the garage when I used to take pride in being prepared.

I said screw 'em too. I used to get mad about it, but now I'm focused on doing my own thing. I was loyal to the old owner, now I'm biding my time.