Dry Plaster As Insulation????

Old 02-22-2018, 02:25 PM   #1

Trade: Design Build
Rewards Points: 18

Dry Plaster As Insulation????

Hey guys,

Long time lurker. Thought I would post this and see if anyone has come across this before. My house is 1924 that we bought last year. I knew that it would be a hard/ messy job so I put it off for a while. Now I'm currently tackling it and why the hell was dry plaster used on the ceiling and in the walls? Any thoughts? My father is also a general contractor and built/remodel some old houses on the east coast and he has never come across something like this before.

It was about 10-15 barrels full of dry plaster, strangely and thankfully it was only located in the laundry room. It was roughly 10" on the ceiling. Did they have a chitload of plaster left over and decided to dump it all in there? When we went to the dump to dump it, (it was inside) the dust covered the whole interior of the building - opps ha.

The floor was rotten and was dipping 2" to the top left corner of the pic. You can kinda see it in the framing. Actually this section of the house was an add-on at some point and it was a hack job I could believe my eyes how they built it. Right next to the laundry is the kitchen nook area and the ceiling is just only sound board and only one ceiling joist in the middle of the room which is 2x4 at 4' or so, how that is still staying up with insulation on top who knows - it's definitely bowing tho.

The ceiling was only 6' - 6" high and there was plenty of room to raise it up to match the rest of the house, perfect opportunity to reorganize and change it into laundry / pantry room.
Attached Thumbnails
Dry Plaster as insulation????-012a7b3a3c7975f8450585d0a715ccd0a712fa4c77.jpg   Dry Plaster as insulation????-0105b2a17f06526197cdd6265e7474c2b0ea0ca828.jpg   Dry Plaster as insulation????-0103612f117f57257711ff9aa95a54657958c4ca5d.jpg  

Last edited by sknsnw9; 02-22-2018 at 02:43 PM.

Warning: The topics covered on this site include activities in which there exists the potential for serious injury or death. ContractorTalk.com DOES NOT guarantee the accuracy or completeness of any information contained on this site. Always use proper safety precaution and reference reliable outside sources before attempting any construction or remodeling task!

Advertisement

Old 02-22-2018, 02:30 PM   #2

Re: Dry Plaster As Insulation????

more pics:
Attached Thumbnails
Dry Plaster as insulation????-01692893d0ebbacc7489859492423117f0cf44e688.jpg   Dry Plaster as insulation????-018bc7279049b4b3ffee10d15a2c29309b202785aa.jpg  

Advertisement

The Following User Says Thank You to sknsnw9 For This Useful Post:
SmallTownGuy (02-23-2018)
Old 02-22-2018, 02:53 PM   #3
Head sawdust creator

Trade: Jack of All.... Master of a Couple
Rewards Points: 1,032

Quote:
Originally Posted by sknsnw9 View Post
Hey guys,

1. why the hell was dry plaster used on the ceiling and in the walls? Any thoughts?

2. It was roughly 10" on the ceiling.
1. That was all they had at that time for finishing interior walls unless you wanted boards.

2. Really!?! The plaster on the ceiling was 10 inches thick?? How did that stay up there??

Old 02-22-2018, 03:44 PM   #4
Contractor of the Month

Trade: Control Systems
Rewards Points: 12,510

Quote:
Originally Posted by sknsnw9 View Post
Hey guys,

Long time lurker. Thought I would post this and see if anyone has come across this before. My house is 1924 that we bought last year. I knew that it would be a hard/ messy job so I put it off for a while. Now I'm currently tackling it and why the hell was dry plaster used on the ceiling and in the walls? Any thoughts? My father is also a general contractor and built/remodel some old houses on the east coast and he has never come across something like this before.

It was about 10-15 barrels full of dry plaster, strangely and thankfully it was only located in the laundry room. It was roughly 10" on the ceiling. Did they have a chitload of plaster left over and decided to dump it all in there? When we went to the dump to dump it, (it was inside) the dust covered the whole interior of the building - opps ha.

The floor was rotten and was dipping 2" to the top left corner of the pic. You can kinda see it in the framing. Actually this section of the house was an add-on at some point and it was a hack job I could believe my eyes how they built it. Right next to the laundry is the kitchen nook area and the ceiling is just only sound board and only one ceiling joist in the middle of the room which is 2x4 at 4' or so, how that is still staying up with insulation on top who knows - it's definitely bowing tho.

The ceiling was only 6' - 6" high and there was plenty of room to raise it up to match the rest of the house, perfect opportunity to reorganize and change it into laundry / pantry room.
Does it feel light weight? I'd guess fine perlite.
Old 02-22-2018, 09:06 PM   #5
Pro

Trade: remodeling
Rewards Points: 9,097

Filling would generally be done to keep vermin out. I've seen attics where strong strings were run and corn hung on them to dry (husk was just peeled down, but not off). You'd find ears that had been hauled off under the floor boards and eaten.

Maybe this was a food storage room.
Old 02-23-2018, 03:34 PM   #6

Trade: general contractor
Rewards Points: 188

Back then, they had to mix the plaster somewhere.....

I have found that there would be large amounts of plaster in a particular room within a house. When we would completely strip the homes down, one room would have a large amount buried.
More than likely, it was excess material buried into the floors and walls in certain areas.
Old 02-28-2018, 02:59 PM   #7

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bummie View Post
1. That was all they had at that time for finishing interior walls unless you wanted boards.

2. Really!?! The plaster on the ceiling was 10 inches thick?? How did that stay up there??
It's 1x10 pine board on the ceiling with good nailing, so it was pretty sturdy.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Inner10 View Post
Does it feel light weight? I'd guess fine perlite.
I don't think it's fine perlite, pretty sure it's dry plaster. It gets really dusty when dumping/ moving it around. It's pretty light, but has a bit of weight to it.

Quote:
Originally Posted by hdavis View Post
Filling would generally be done to keep vermin out. I've seen attics where strong strings were run and corn hung on them to dry (husk was just peeled down, but not off). You'd find ears that had been hauled off under the floor boards and eaten.

Maybe this was a food storage room.
I suspected that it could've been a food storage room back then.

Hope I won't come across another job like this again, it wasn't fun.

Advertisement

The Following User Says Thank You to sknsnw9 For This Useful Post:
hdavis (02-28-2018)