Did My Menards Rep Rob Me?

Old 07-14-2013, 04:13 PM   #1
Pro

Trade: Remodeling
Rewards Points: 338

Did My Menards Rep Rob Me?

In April I purchased 5 boxes of coil when it was on sale. I hadnít needed it yet and they werenít complaining about storing it for me, so I left it there. Today I went to pick it up. They informed me that it had already been picked up on June 26th. After a few minutes of discussion the manager went to check the camera footage from that date and time of the pick-up. He came back and told me that my rep had delivered it in their truck. I told him I donít know where he had taken it but it wasnít to me.

So at this point I am told they will have to talk to my rep tomorrow and get back to me. I didnít love that idea and the manager said he would try to call him at home. He was home and said he had taken it to another guy with the same last name as me by accident and had the paperwork to back up the claim and would clear it up tomorrow.

So what are the chances that another person with the same last name also works with my rep and had him deliver five boxes of pre purchased white trim coil? My prediction is that there is no possibility this happened. I am fairly sure the guy saw the ticket in the system, assumed I had forgotten about it and found a new home for it. I am supposed to get a call tomorrow to hear what the reason for the confusion was. It should be interesting.

Warning: The topics covered on this site include activities in which there exists the potential for serious injury or death. ContractorTalk.com DOES NOT guarantee the accuracy or completeness of any information contained on this site. Always use proper safety precaution and reference reliable outside sources before attempting any construction or remodeling task!

Old 07-14-2013, 04:40 PM   #2
John the Builder

Trade: Carpenter/Builder
Rewards Points: 1,480

Re: Did My Menards Rep Rob Me?

Quote:
So what are the chances that another person with the same last name also works with my rep
Pretty low, unless you have a common last name like Smith...

If I had 5 coils of anything stored at home or in one of the out-buildings, it's be all dented to h*ll by now...

Old 07-14-2013, 04:51 PM   #3
Thom

Trade: General Contractor/Homebuilder
Rewards Points: 2,604

I'd guess

Your rep ripped you off
He got caught with his fingers in the cookie jar
He's lying to cover his sorry ass
Menards will make it good to you
Your rep will be looking for a new job
Jaws (07-16-2013), TimelessQuality (07-14-2013), TNTSERVICES (07-14-2013)
Old 07-14-2013, 05:26 PM   #4
Pro

They gave me the coil with no trouble, other then the half hour of confusion. Before I left I clarified that if he didn't have a legit story he would not work there at the end of the day Monday. The manager committed to call me to follow up. Its all over for me except for finding out if he was trying to steal my coil in the Menards truck on the clock or if it was a legitimate mix up.

Last edited by FrankSmith; 07-14-2013 at 05:29 PM.
Old 07-14-2013, 06:56 PM   #5
Pro

Trade: mason
Rewards Points: 1,768

I have had a few mix ups with Menards over the years. I will say this,they always got it straight and I never lost a dime. I think they are a fair, reputable co. to do business with. I feel they always give the customer the benefit of the doubt.
Old 07-14-2013, 06:57 PM   #6
Pro

Trade: GC/Remodeling
Rewards Points: 2,793

Their referral program has really taken off for me..

'It takes considerable knowledge just to realize the extent of your own ignorance.'-Thomas Sowell
Old 07-14-2013, 07:45 PM   #7
Pro

Quote:
Originally Posted by fjn View Post
I have had a few mix ups with Menards over the years. I will say this,they always got it straight and I never lost a dime. I think they are a fair, reputable co. to do business with. I feel they always give the customer the benefit of the doubt.
If it is a mix up I wouldn't think anything of it. If a Menards employee purposefully took merchandise out of the store that he was well aware I had already purchased, it is kind of a big deal.
Old 07-14-2013, 08:29 PM   #8
Pro

Trade: Remodel
Rewards Points: 2,050

I've always wondered where they get their costing so people can "save big money!" I don't think they know any secrets or anything that lowes or home depot doesn't know, yet both lowes and HD have more stores than they do, thus are able to buy their products in greater volume, so lowes/HD should/would get better pricing.

While I'm very not impressed with their travelling salespeople, I doubt he ripped you off as that'd be stupid. But then again, stupid people are everywhere. Their (and most chain's) traveling salespeople are disposable, so they'll make it right and salesepeople are a dime a dozen....all the more with price point shoppers. Sort of makes their salespeople travelling order takers.....
Old 07-15-2013, 01:07 PM   #9
Pro

Trade: mason
Rewards Points: 1,768

Quote:
Originally Posted by CO762 View Post
I've always wondered where they get their costing so people can "save big money!" I don't think they know any secrets or anything that lowes or home depot doesn't know, yet both lowes and HD have more stores than they do, thus are able to buy their products in greater volume, so lowes/HD should/would get better pri...

The difference in the 3 stores is Home depot & Lowes are public corporations. Menards is 100 % privately owned.

They also own their own truss,and engineered wood plants,along with their own pressure treating plants. Matter of fact,they own 15 related companies including Stanley Tool Works.
Old 07-15-2013, 01:12 PM   #10
Pro

Trade: Custom
Rewards Points: 2,476

For legal reasons, I would be surprised if you got the call, and if you did that they will tell you they can't discuss employment matters other than to tell you the matter is being resolved internally...
The Following User Says Thank You to KAP For This Useful Post:
SmallTownGuy (07-15-2013)
Old 07-15-2013, 04:47 PM   #11
Pro

Trade: masonry
Rewards Points: 3,474

Menards owns Stanely, a huge British tool company? And Stanley owns B&D which owns DeWalt and Porter Cable? Wow and I`ve only ever heard of Menards on this site. Are they kind of a big deal or something?

Last edited by dom-mas; 07-15-2013 at 04:52 PM.
Old 07-15-2013, 04:58 PM   #12
Pro

Whoops, always thought Stanley was a British company. My British friends call an exacto knife a "stanley knife", I guess I just figured it was a British company
Old 07-15-2013, 05:29 PM   #13
Pro

Trade: GC/Remodeling
Rewards Points: 2,793

Yah.. Dey own da lowes and da Home Depot too lol

'It takes considerable knowledge just to realize the extent of your own ignorance.'-Thomas Sowell
Old 07-15-2013, 06:15 PM   #14
Pro

Trade: General & Electrical Contracting
Rewards Points: 1,010

Back in May, I ordered 13 boxes of cedar shingles from Home Depot online. About 4 days later I got a call from the trucking company to schedule delivery. Since the shipper's warehouse was just a couple of miles from me but primarily because they couldn't give me less than a 4 hour delivery window, I asked if I could pick them up at their warehouse. So I did. About a week later, I got another call from the trucking company to schedule delivery. I thought, "What the heck?" and told them to just put the delivery in the west driveway and that there wouldn't be anyone there but that was OK.

About three days later, they called to say they could not locate my shipment. On my next HD statement, I got a credit for the 13 boxes of shingles.

The next time I was in my local Home Depot, I asked to speak to the store manager and told him what had happened. I gave him my account number but have never heard back from him or seen anything on my monthly statement.

That amount plus the other refund I got (mentioned in another post) adds up to a little more than $1500.

I must be living right.
Old 07-15-2013, 06:19 PM   #15
Pro

They called me Today at noon. The store manager said he had been working on it all morning and feels the guys story is legit. He claims to have taken the coil to a job for another contractor with the customers last name the same as mine which I use in my business name. It could have been an honest mistake but I am not fully convinced. I would not be surprised if they are letting it go and will then get rid of the guy later for another reason so people don't loose trust. Time will tell.
Old 07-15-2013, 06:19 PM   #16
Pro

Trade: General & Electrical Contracting
Rewards Points: 1,010

I think dom-mas misread the Wiki writeup on Menards:

Under "brands" they sell, it stated:

"Menards also owns and exclusively sells some of its own brands." Some of the brands found at the Menards stores are:

Pittsburgh Paints
Dutch Boy Paint
Schrock Masterbrand, Medallion Elkay, and Kitchen Kompact (cabinets)
Mastercraft (interior/exterior doors) (exclusive)
Masterforce (Tools) (exclusive)
Acoustic Ceiling Products
Patriot Lighting
Smart Electrician
Kidde "Life Saver" line
Quantus Lighting
Performax
North Tech
Guidesman
Shell Rock Products
Stanley Works (tools)
Xtreme Garage
Tool Shop {exclusive}
Tarkett
FlorCraft
Master Paws
Backyard Creations
Storage Shop
Classic Decor
Pumpkin Hollow
Resolution
Plumb Works
Crestline and Peachtree, Jeld-Wen (windows)
Turn of the Century (Ceiling Fans)
Tru-Bolt (exclusive)
Enchanted Garden
Enchanted Forest
Tuscany (Faucets)
MTD products
Perfect Shutters
Ultradeck (composite decking)
Homax Spray Textures
Focal Point
Sunforce Products
GreenEBoard
Old 07-15-2013, 06:21 PM   #17
Pro

If people like to buy from a big box store, from an ace, from their local jobshop, then fine. No rocket science here and I"m always amazed how firey people are in stuff like this.

Last edited by CO762; 07-15-2013 at 06:31 PM.
Old 07-15-2013, 06:24 PM   #18
Pro

I'm always amazed at how fiercely loyal some people are to something.
Like they have to justify things.

Buy what you want, where you want, and if others don't like it, why should you care?
Old 07-15-2013, 06:24 PM   #19
Pro

Nope, i didn't read any Wiki writeup about Menards, I read FJN's post. I then googled Stanley and found out they weren't British like I thought
Old 07-15-2013, 06:27 PM   #20
Pro

mis post